Hey everyone, we're getting ready for Otakon 2008, and Otaku Idol is back again to entertain the Otaku masses. We should have the registration up soon, hopefully this week or next week. If you are interested in competing in Otaku Idol, here are some ground rules that you can use to prep yourself so that when the registration is open, you can send in your demo song for submission and hopefully you will be picked for the contest.

Heres some basic guidelines for the contest:

1. Each person needs to send in a demo song to be judged to get into the contest. The song should be a Jpop/JRock or Japanese anime song or Japanese song from a video game. Examples of each are: Jpop - T.m. Revolution's Hot Limit, JRock - L'arc~en~ciel's Drivers High, Japanese anime song - Neon Genesis Evangelion - Cruel Angels Thesis, and Japanese song froma video game - Hikari by Utada Hikaru from Kingdom Hearts.

Note that there is plenty of room for overlap, but what have done is seperate the categories that each contestant must have a song for are those above, round 1 is a Jpop or Jrock song, round 2 is a song from an anime or a video game, and round 3 is the contestants choice. If you are chosen, you will need to provide your songs when you are chosen for the contest, meaning you will need to submit an actual track to the designated email or aim screenname(which is myself) that is provided in registration packet that will be out soon.

2. Each person who wants to be a contestant sends in a demo song to the designated email or aim screenname(again, me). You need to find a song you want to sing, find the karaoke or instrumental track, and record yourself singing to that track. The song can be of any of the categories I mentioned above. We will then judge the song and if we want you in the contest, you will be notified shortly. Also, even though you may not think you will be in the contest, practice your other songs as if you will be in the contest. You may use your demo song for the contest if you are chosen as well, so that can eliminate 1 song already, you'd have to just pick 2 more to use.

3. Each song that is submitted when you are chosen to be a contestant needs to be a karaoke version or an instrumental version of the song you want to sing, no lyrics included in the song, save for refrains or background lyrics that are in the song anyways, but the main part of the song needs to be vocal-less.

4. A general tip we've been using for those who want to enter the contest is to pick a song that is in your vocal range. You dont want to sing a higher pitched song like X by X-Japan when you can only sing lower pitch songs like something from Dir-en-Grey. If you are a regular singer or have done choir or are in a band, etc, you know what Im talking about.

5. Practice, practice, practice. You have no idea how much an hour or two a day will help you in practicing for this contest. We really want people to show off their talents here, so if you know you can nail these songs, work on stage performance as well, we're gonna be looking for that too. If you know how to rock the crowd, work on your voice as well. You are gonna be the star here, so show off what you got to the mass otaku crowd at Otakon this year.

Keep a lookout for the registration packet to come out on Otakon's website soon, and everything will be there on all the official rules, how to record a song, and where to send in your songs, etc.

Good luck, and keep on rocking!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't really gotten my questions answered via email ;;

I really just want to know if this event is only for solo singers..? or can we perform in groups? (for example my friends and I would like to perform as a group since the song is by a band)

Also are we supposed to send you the demo now? Sorry for the burden of questions.. it's just that there's only one month left til otakon which makes it really difficult to plan and stuff.

The pack on the Otakon website should be up very soon, I'll ask again about it later today and see why it isnt up yet. As for the emails, are you sending them to mikeflury@hotmail.com, and if so, please send it with the topic "Otaku Idol 2008", otherwise, my email may pick it up as spam. Also, this contest is for solo singers, no groups. Think of some other type of Idol show on TV, that bears no resemblance to this one, just with Japanese music.

If you have the means of recording your demo song now, without the need for the packet, by all means, send me the demos via email.

The packet should be just a regular page on the Otakon Website, but it may have a downloadable file for the recording program we suggest, that, or a link to dload it.

Also, sry 4 the question. How many people would be in the contest, i mean like how many would be on stage. Like 10-15 competing. I just want to kno

I was going to go last yr but there was a panel and I was still overwhelmed by all the activites that were going on. Last yr was my 1st convention.

It should be 10 people maximum, maybe less, depending on how many demo songs we get. We have had less than 10 before, but usually we shoot for 10 people.

Guest Ai-chan

I've begun picking out songs I'd like to sing if I were to make it into the competition, but I have a question. It may seem a little bit obvious, but I thought it was worth asking. Are we expected to sing the entirety of the songs and/or are there any time constraints attached?

Hey, I've got another question. ^_^ Is it alright if we sing a song that's sung by a j-pop singer, but only about half the lyrics are in Japanese and it's based off of a song originally created by a non-Japanese singer (say...Celine Dione XD). I was thinking of singing this duet between Ito Yuna and Celine Dione, which the former has out as her own single so it sort of counts as a J-pop song (kindasortamaybe): http://youtube.com/watch?v=LPurpy0-l8I

::waits excitedly for packet::

We'd prefer that if you were to pick a song to sing, it would be a single singer, not a duet. Given this case, since part of the song is in Japanese and the other in english, it wouldnt work.

I don't suppose it'll ever be in the cards to have any English songs based on anime at all in any sort of competition? I love to sing in Japanese but I'm probably making half of it up seeing as I don't speak it and I couldn't possibly remember three different ones on top of it....I'd love to compete but it's just too much for me to handle personally...

Ahh well. Good luck to everyone else though.

Yes, if you have a demo ready, please, send them in to me. You can send them to me via aim(MTGShadowMage02) or email them to me(mikeflury@hotmail.com). If you send it to me via aim, please contact me first before sending it to me, Im usually up from noonish til 8-9pm, depending on my days off of work. Wednesday and Thursday are my days off, so if you want to send it to me via aim, Im usually up around 9am, so you can send it as early as that on those days.

If you want to email it to me, which is preferred, please make sure the topic is Otaku Idol 2008 Demo song. Include you name, name of the song, who its by, and attach the song in the email.

Again, if you have your demo song recorded and ready, send it to me. Also, practice your songs as if you are gonna be in the contest. The actual Otaku Idol info packet should be up any day now, dunno why its taking so long, but if youve followed my advice so far, you should be practicing your songs, that way if you make it into the contest, you wont feel so rushed to learn the songs.

Guest Schwielala

Woo! A few questions...

1) Does it matter how the demo is recorded? Pretty much I have two options, camera or webcam(with non-scary-webcam-sound) Are these okay?

2) For the Jpop/rock song, does it have to be one that is NOT related to an anime?

3) When is the deadline for sending in demos?

Your demo song should be recorded in an mp3 format, preferrably.

Your demo song doesnt have to necessarily fall into the song from an anime category, but it must be a song that fits one of the categories as mentioned on my first post.

Deadline for sending in demos: Im not sure yet, I will ask the Otaku Idol head and find out what the deadline was set to. It should be on the packet for Otaku Idol that will be up on the Otakon website, but I will get back to you on that asap.

Guest Schwielala

1) By preferrably, do you mean try to get it in mp3 first, and if I can't...hooray for .avi ._.; ?

2) I mean for the actual competition...though I just did a little mini research and I see that the song you listed as an example for a j-rock song is also the opening song to GTO...so I guess that answers my question. @_@

3) Okay! (could be the difference between making an mp3 or not...or entering at all, of course x.x; )

Edited by Schwielala

Yeah, we'd prefer it if you can do your demo song in an mp3 format, and what I will do is contact the head of Otaku Idol today and see if he can give me the link for the free downloadable recording program we suggest you use, which will let you record in an mp3 format. I'll ask him for it and post it here, so you can record your songs, since I dont know when this packet for Otaku Idol is gonna be up. All that will tell you is how to use the recording program and basically everything I've told you above.

Hope this helps, thanks for being patient with us, it always seems to be the case that the packet for this contest takes forever to post onto the Otakon website, and I dont know why that is.

Ok, heres the link for the program we suggest you use to record your demo.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

It should be pretty easy to use, and when the Otaku Idol packet is up on the Otakon website, it will have a few pointers on how to record and such, but it should be pretty self explanitory. If you absolutely, must have, need the packet information, in terms of how to record and such, I now have it available, so if you need it, you can email me for it, and I can send it to you.

As for the deadline for the demo songs, the deadline is going to be July 29th, which is a Tuesday, by noon. That is a week and a half or so before Otakon. That gives us enough time to decide who will be our top 10 choices, as well as gives us enough time to contact those we decide will be in the contest, and enough time for you guys to practice your songs, in which case I still HIGHLY suggest you practice your songs now in the event that you are chosen for the contest. If you are chosen for Otaku Idol 2008, you should hear back from us a few days after the deadline.

Again, if you are ready to send in your demo song, send it to me via email or AIM. See my post above for info on how to send things to me, you need to make sure you send me your stuff correctly, because I may get your email as spam if it isnt labeled correctly.

Thanks for all those who are patient with us, thanks to those who want to try out, and good luck to you all.

Guest Ai-chan

Thanks for answering my previous question and I have another quick one regarding the demos. :wacko:; Dopes it matter if it's only a portion of a song, and if not, is there set minimum on how short it can be?

Edited by Ai-chan

Your demo song should be the full song length. Think of it as the rest of your songs you would sing in the contest, they all need to be full length too.

There isnt a set time length limit to the songs you choose, but we'd prefer you not make all your choices extremely lengthy. For instance, please dont choose songs like Art of Life by X-Japan, the 30 minute version. We'd be all night doing the contest that way. Theres a shorter, radio edit though, if you prefer that one.

You should get my drift: Basically, there isnt a time limit, but dont abuse it to the extent that it would take away time for other contestants to perform.

Just a reminder folks, you have 1 week to send in your demo songs to me via email or aim. I dont know if the packet for Otaku Idol will actually make it up to the Otakon website this year, but if it doesnt, we still are having the contest. If it doesnt get up to the website in time of the deadline, just follow the instructions I have provided on this thread.

Usually its on Friday or Saturday night, anywhere from 8-10pm. This year, if nothing changes in our schedule, it should be on Friday night. Im not sure on the time just now, as the schedule is still being worked out, but if all goes to plan, it will be on Friday night.

Otaku Idol is Friday night, 9-11, panel 4.

^_^ After a check to make sure nothing is still under wraps, I'll be releasing the rest of the panels schedule, but the Otaku Idol time can be like a little teaser, heh. :D

Usually its on Friday or Saturday night, anywhere from 8-10pm. This year, if nothing changes in our schedule, it should be on Friday night. Im not sure on the time just now, as the schedule is still being worked out, but if all goes to plan, it will be on Friday night.

Yup, you have til Tuesday, July 29th at midnight Eastern Standard Time to send in your demo songs to me via email or AIM.

Email: Mikeflury@hotmail.com (Subject line: Otaku Idol 2008)

AIM Screenname: MTGShadowMage02

Guest Ai-chan

Hey, I was wondering if you'd recieved my demo? I just wanted to make sure because for some reason, Yahoo! likes to pick on me and loses the e-mails I send out, without telling me. :( So I just wanted to be 100% certain that you'd recieved it. I sent it a few days ago. =) I'm Larissa with "The Meaning of Peace".

Ive got 3 demo songs so far. I have yours, and 2 others. Hopefully I'll recieve more this weekend, but I expect the majority of what I project we'll recieve on Monday or Tuesday.

Just an update folks, you have 2 more days left to submit your demo songs to me via email or AIM. So far, I've recieved 5 demo songs from hopeful contestants, we need at least 5 more to make the minimum 10 people contest, so for those of you who dont think you have much of a chance of getting in, nows the time to send them in, since we may not get all 10 slots filled(it has happened before).

Give it your best, and send me in your demo song by Tuesday at midnight. Good luck!

I'll have to check, but as far as I know, yeah you can. As long as you arent on duty during the contest. I'll double check and get back to you, but submit your demo song anyways, just in case.

One last thing, though I may have mentioned it beforehand. Once we pick our contestants, they will recieve an email from me saying they are in the contest. If you are under 18, there should be a wavier form on the Otaku Idol packet, whenever that is updated to the site. You'll need to bring that to the con for the contest signed properly by your parent or guardian.

Also, when I send out the emails to the chosen contestants, you will need to send me back an email containing your 3 song picks and the karaoke tracks attached to the email, or have them linked with rapidshare or something like that. I will compile the songs into cds to be run during the contest, so you just sing to your track when you perform onstage. I will set a date for that when I send out the emails to the chosen contestants.

One other other last thing: when you choose your songs to perform at the contest, remember that you will be judged not only on your ability to sing the song, but also your performance itself, such as the stage presence, keeping the crowd pumped, etc, will also be judged, so I would suggest picking some songs that show off your ability not only to sing, but also how you perform it and keep the crowd entertained. Slow, ballad type songs are good, but we also want to see you rock out and show off your stardom, so you may want to throw in some faster pace songs to show off your ability to rock the crowd and keep them pumped for you. You want to be the best, so show us that you can blow the competition away by showing off your skills as a singer and an entertainer. Good luck!

Just an update folks, you have 2 more days left to submit your demo songs to me via email or AIM. So far, I've recieved 5 demo songs from hopeful contestants, we need at least 5 more to make the minimum 10 people contest, so for those of you who dont think you have much of a chance of getting in, nows the time to send them in, since we may not get all 10 slots filled(it has happened before).

Give it your best, and send me in your demo song by Tuesday at midnight. Good luck!

Edit to this, I now have 6 demo songs, but theres still time for more. Good luck, and keep sending in demos, folks!

Guest Schwielala

Mmkay! I finally sent in my demo! It'll be from GCNChic@aol.com, so if it doesn't show up could you let me know? @_@; Sometimes aol fails so I could send from another e-mail.

Just a reminder, today at Midnight(eastern standard time) is the last day you can send in your demo songs to me either via email or aim. I will be staying up til midnight tonight on aim, if you have to send it to me that way, I will be available, but I'd prefer it to be sent via email, if possible.

One last last thing I forgot to add. For those of you who have sent me your demo songs via Aim, please IM me back with your email address, so I can send you the acceptance email if you are picked for the contest. I would prefer you do this tonight, so I can compile the contestant list as soon as possible. Thanks.

Congrats to all those who got into Otaku Idol 2008!

If you have recieved an email from me as of 2:10 am on Thursday, July 31st(thats when I sent it, it may not be when you recieved it), you are in the contest. Please read the email thoroughly and send me back the info I requested from you in a timely manner.

For those of you who didnt recieve an email, Im sorry, but you were not chosen for Otaku Idol 2008. That doesnt mean you were terrible or cant sing, it just means that we thought the 10 ten we picked we better suited to compete this year. You can always try out for next years contest, but in the meantime, please come out and support your fellow Idol contestants at Otaku Idol 2008! This event will take place on Friday, August 8th at 9pm, what room Im not sure yet, but it will be in the schedule at Otakon 2008, if it wasnt already mentioned above. Bring your friends, bring your family, bring your cosplay outfits, and prepare to have your socks rocked off(seriously, it could actually happen, we have some really good competition this year), as 10 contestants sing and perform it out in front of you for the title of 2008's Otaku Idol!

See ya at Otakon 2008, folks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.