I was wondering if any photo otaku would like to team up (online) and make a mega gallery of Otakon '08 cosplayers?

Simply put, it's just posting your photos on a site I made for photo otaku and cosplayers to network on a new level.

It's Called http://www.AnimeJutsu.com

What do you guys think? (any feedback helps)

Edited by Gordon
I was wondering if any photo otaku would like to team up (online) and make a mega gallery of Otakon '08 cosplayers?

Simply put, it's just posting your photos on a site I made for photo otaku and cosplayers to network on a new level.

I used to take TONS of pictures my first couple of years at Otakon, but now I barely take any. Actually I don't think I took any last year. I blame this on my increasingly lack of interest in newer anime and because it's just a hassle to dig for my camera in my bag and go through the whole "stop cosplayer, ask, get out of way (which is nearly impossible) of foot traffic, and take picture" routine.

I used to take TONS of pictures my first couple of years at Otakon, but now I barely take any. Actually I don't think I took any last year. I blame this on my increasingly lack of interest in newer anime and because it's just a hassle to dig for my camera in my bag and go through the whole "stop cosplayer, ask, get out of way (which is nearly impossible) of foot traffic, and take picture" routine.

I love taking pictures of the con: cosplayers, overviews of the sea of congoers, the booths/panels/displays! it's awesome!

I'm not too handy with a camera though, so I make my brother chase down the cosplayers/stand on tall things and take the actual picture for me xD hehe.

This will be year two of our photo scavenger hunt which has everything from specific characters to obvious chaperons. Its really fun and also allows us to take pictures of people that we normally wouldn't (you get strange looks when you ask for some pictures esp. the chaperons.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I'm actually big into photography! mt college professors all say i have to continue it. I use the photos to get new ideas for my art. So I'll be taking many photos.

I take a lot of pictures at t he last few Otakons. Although the first 2 years I was using a regular carama (film) so it was very very very expensive...

I have my own digicam this year...so I willl splurge in photo taking for my own cause...

Question: I know there was some talk about this a while back - what is the proper photo behavior at the con? Wanna make sure that I do things right as always during this year's con.

Question: I know there was some talk about this a while back - what is the proper photo behavior at the con? Wanna make sure that I do things right as always during this year's con.

1. Always ask first (unless you're clearly at a photoshoot). No means no! :blink:

2. PLEASE please please please don't stop in the middle of a hallway to take a picture. Please. Walk the extra 50 feet to a wider area, and ask the cosplayer to pose out of the main traffic flow.

3. Try to have your camera ready so that people don't have to wait for you to fumble with switches and gizmoes.

Most important, though, are numbers 1 and 2. :)

1. Always ask first (unless you're clearly at a photoshoot). No means no! :blink:

2. PLEASE please please please don't stop in the middle of a hallway to take a picture. Please. Walk the extra 50 feet to a wider area, and ask the cosplayer to pose out of the main traffic flow.

3. Try to have your camera ready so that people don't have to wait for you to fumble with switches and gizmoes.

Most important, though, are numbers 1 and 2. :)

In defense of the people who don't ask...

My boyfriend is not one to ever ask. Usually I'm the one who does the talking for him. However, on the rare chance he does take a picture, he's usually going for the 'candid' look, such as this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/patgavin/9109...57600973519940/

Anime shows are so amazing, I just have to document the fans there. So yeah, I photo. But I'm also really, really picky about who I photo. Usually it's got to be something new to me, something funny, or something really, really good.

However, I must note this - I'm also always behind a table in the artist alley. So, some added etiquette notes:

1. Be aware of the surroundings. While it's annoying to get a traffic clot because someone's posing in a hall, it's even more annoying to have someone decide to pose right in front of a table. Getting a lot of butt in my face is not quite why I'm there.

2. Don't not pose in the alley entirely, though - Almost all the pictures I take are from immediately in front of my table. It's some of the few chances I get.

3. More for the photographers - please don't ask to take someone's picture if they're talking to someone in the alley. Be patient and ask when they're done.

This is a spin-off of customer-stealing, a big no-no in the alleys. There's sort of an unofficial rule about the space right in front of the alley tables, that if you're standing in front of that particular table, only that particular table should be trying to sell you something. But to be in the middle of selling something only to have that person get yanked away, it's annoying and sometimes costs a starving artist food.

I've taken alot of photos in the past, and I always made sure to ask or to just take a quick one during one of the many photoshoots. Most of 2005 and 2006 was spent roaming the halls of the BCC looking for cosplayers, but this year I'll probably be attending panels and ect....but I'll still set aside some time for photos ;)

Some cosplayers do not like to be posed. In 05' there were two Vampire Hunter D cosplayers (Meier Link and a D) stopped for about 20 minutes or more because of phototaking. They were really annoyed because people kept yelling at them to pose a certain way. Follow proper procedure and you'll probably get the photos that you want. ^^

I finally got my own digital carama! I will burn through my memory card like no tomorrow!

Incidently...is anyone interested in bringing some kinda portfolio sample to showcase to us photo otakus? Would love if we could meet for that...just a thought.

Last year's Otakon I became a photo otaku. I just took photographs every 10-20 seconds. I used my camera so much that I did not burned through my memory cards, (which was at the time I had a single 1GB SD memory card) I burned through ten AA batteries!

Even though I'll be cosplaying this year and staying at a hotel, I'll just be the same photo otaku as my previous conventions i attended.

You all should apply to be on photosuite staff next year. We spend ALL WEEKEND taking pictures of cosplayers. We usually prefer people that have portfolios and studio experience, but we're always looking for help.

Staff pool is pretty tied up for this year, but get in touch with me if you'd be interested in the future!

You all should apply to be on photosuite staff next year. We spend ALL WEEKEND taking pictures of cosplayers. We usually prefer people that have portfolios and studio experience, but we're always looking for help.

Staff pool is pretty tied up for this year, but get in touch with me if you'd be interested in the future!

If you're interested get in touch with me (mike) in the photosuite this year. we'll chat for a few minutes and I'll get your contact info (business card if you have it) then I'll be in touch when staffing opens up for next year.