30 yr old person looking for other liked minded and similar aged people.

Well...as the title says...is there anyone going to Otakon this year who is 30 yrs old or so? Would like to meet some new people this year for some chat or R & R or whatever...the last few times I've been going to Otakon it's been pretty lonely...with all the running and taking pictures and all that jazz.

Heck...if for the curiousity of it all...

Well...so far...better responses than expected. We should all meet up for some beer during the con or something...I dunno...any suggestions?

Glad to see some of my age group around...thank god.

Last year there was sort of an "older otaku/come hang with the locals" meetup at one of the local bars. Not sure if the same people are doing it again, but that was fun.. even though I was the only non-local to show up. :rolleyes:

Regardless, I certainly wouldn't mind meeting up. Bar is fine with me, or a restaurant, or whatever. I'm open to pretty much anything.

Well...so far...better responses than expected. We should all meet up for some beer during the con or something...I dunno...any suggestions?

Glad to see some of my age group around...thank god.

Well...IF anything happens, we will see. For those who are interested, my personal e-mail is wilandvic@hotmail.com

(Am I allowed to post stuff like that up here? If not, sorry...will post somewhere else next time.)

Hi all, I turned 38 today. I'm always up for meeting like-minded people in my age range. As a department head, however, my free time may be limited. :rolleyes: But feel free to swing by the Info desk and ask for the head of Gofer Ops if you wanna just say hi! bayp, I know you'll already be in Gofer Ops, as a member of my legions.

Since I'm free this year (taking a rest before fully stepping over into the legions of Otakon zombies), I could make such a get together. I'm 40ish, btw.

Clint, can I come wave at you while pushing my son into your legions? He's gofer #805. B) Also happy birthday!

Edited by crbcntr
Since I'm free this year (taking a rest before fully stepping over into the legions of Otakon zombies), I could make such a get together. I'm 40ish, btw.

Clint, can I come wave at you while pushing my son into your legions? He's gofer #805. B) Also happy birthday!

Yes, please do so! And thank you for the birthday wish. I look forward to welcoming a second-generation Gofer, we'll try not to scar him...much.

Clint, can I come wave at you while pushing my son into your legions? He's gofer #805. :P Also happy birthday!

Yes, please do so! And thank you for the birthday wish. I look forward to welcoming a second-generation Gofer, we'll try not to scar him...much.

Baltimore bars are 100% smoke-free now, though I can't say the same about the sidewalks out front. Law went into effect at the beginning of the year. Carry on in cancer-free fashion! :)

Well...we dont have to go drinking or whatever...I guess the reason for the post is so we can all decide what time/where to meet/what to do, etc.

Of course under 30's are welcome too lol. I was wondering when someone was gonna ask that.

Anyways, so far so good. Feedback is definitely welcome.

I is 26 :-) turning 27 in sept. Ya can look over my myspace and make sure I ain't crazy www.myspace.com/kappalizzy

Edited by Kappa Lizzy
*waves hand* I don't drink or smoke ether. Can we do something more non-bar or is it ok that I don't drink? Is that ok? :(

I think we gotta look for a place where drinkers and non-drinkers can all hang out or something.

On that note...

First off, I do have to apologize for being a bit late on this. I've been watching this msg post at work...unfortunately, because of my work I couldnt post as much as I would like due to it.

From what I have been reading...I guess a few things comes up to mind.

-Not everyone drinks.

-Night time might be a bad idea to meet during Saturday night because of the Rave.

-There is quite a sizable amount of people interested in this. Thank god.

In that case, I would like to provide a suggestion - a preliminary plan?

Saturday Afternoon - we can all meet for some lunch/snacks, maybe between 1:00 - 2:00?

Location: Possibly the Cheesecake Factory or one of the other restaurants near the con - we should not have our con experience disturbed too much?:( The Cheesecake Factory area, if I recall, is only a 5 minute walk from the con grounds, so it's not that far.

We can all meet over at the con entrance near the video game area (if it's the same place as last year) and go to the restaurant of choice from there?

Hope that works out so far...as always, comments, opinions, etc is much appreciated:)

I'm interested in this as well. When at a bar, don't feel like you have to be drinking alcohol to be with the crowd. Even though I do drink, I often don't drink alcohol when I go out for only an hour and stick with a diet coke. I usually like pub style bars where most of the room is dedicated to seating. That way it's a more relaxed environment.

Most likely in my case, I'll stop by the meeting place just to say "Hi" again. While I know that once we enter the BCC my son will leave me to go to the panels or video screenings he wants to go to, I still have a duty to be inside the BCC. After all, my son is only thirteen and, as his parent, I have to make sure that he is okay. I will not exit the BCC while he is there.

I think there were a few pub style bars opposite the Convention Center. That is a possibility. I guess the question is...will there be enough seating and would other people like to go to such an environment.

Repost post - Is the time frame 1:00 - 2:00 starting or so suitable for you all?

Most likely in my case, I'll stop by the meeting place just to say "Hi" again. While I know that once we enter the BCC my son will leave me to go to the panels or video screenings he wants to go to, I still have a duty to be inside the BCC. After all, my son is only thirteen and, as his parent, I have to make sure that he is okay. I will not exit the BCC while he is there.
I think there were a few pub style bars opposite the Convention Center. That is a possibility. I guess the question is...will there be enough seating and would other people like to go to such an environment.

Repost post - Is the time frame 1:00 - 2:00 starting or so suitable for you all?

Understood. That duty...is paramont for a parent. Totally understandable.

I personally have been wanting to see who you are:) We should definitely say "Hi" at least once lol.

I personally have been wanting to see who you are:) We should definitely say "Hi" at least once lol.

There's still the singles meetup, right? You'll easily know who I am by my hair (mahogany and very long, goes past my behind. My back will have to be turned, though, for you to see that. Again, do not look for a 47 year old lady because I don't look it) and the teenager beside me. And, since I'm Asian, look for an Asian girl with a half-breed Asian boy beside her. I would put on my zills and play a line of longas (now that will tell you that I'm there!), but I don't think that would be very considerate to whoever is singing at the Otacafe.

He has shorter hair now, though (he's also very little there. He's taller now since he's going through a growth spurt).

But yeah, I just might stop by to say "Hi," since it's by the entrance.

There is a bar right in front of the BCC called the Downtown Sports Exchange.

Info - Click Me!

I've eaten there before and have found there burgers to be of good quality. I think I paid around $12 for a burger and coke.

They are a bar but they do have tables good for groups of 6 people. They have tables outside that can fit a lot more people. During the day they seem to be very busy.

I just got back home from watching the Dark Knight. For those who haven't seen it yet...go see it. Worth the money ;)

Anyways, Gordon, thanks for the link. That was the one i was refering to - that particular pub is right opposite the convention center, if I recall. If anyone is happy with that, we can use that place for our meeting.

One thing I would like to point out - Maryland law right now requires that all restaurant establishments be non-smoking. So for those who are worried about cigerette smoke, there will be none - the only 3 restaurants in all of Maryland which has the waiver to smoking are not in Baltimore City. So rest assured that any place we go to for this meet will be smoke free. Just in case, can I please have a confirm on that from someone else? Preferably someone from Otakon Staff?

Gordon...I owe you a drink :lol: Thank you.

I guess in that case...I guess we can safely say -

This meeting of like-minded and similar aged people will be held at:

Downtown Sports Exchange Bar, 1:30 pm, Saturday.

If interested, please send me a PM post or state it on site.

Many thanks. (Since we have 2 weeks left...)

P.S. - Address for the Downtown Sports Exchange Bar is:

200 W. Pratt St

Baltimore MD 21201.

30's Meetup (All Welcome!)

Downtown Sports Exchange Bar, 1:30 pm, Saturday.

200 W. Pratt St

Baltimore MD 21201.

Restaurant Info - Click Me!

1:30pm? I can make that. I'm back in!

Was wondering if you guys would mind if I put out some advertising for this thing. (Simple cheap/free stuff)

Namely:

Asking Otakon's permission to use the Otakon Logo on some advertising.

Asking Otakon Staff to put up an announcement on the front page.

Calling the Restaurant and having signs for the 30's Meetup.

Asking Otakon's permission to put small glossies of the event on table and loiter spots in the BCC

Namely:

Asking Otakon's permission to use the Otakon Logo on some advertising.

Asking Otakon Staff to put up an announcement on the front page.

Calling the Restaurant and having signs for the 30's Meetup.

Asking Otakon's permission to put small glossies of the event on table and loiter spots in the BCC

As the meetup is not an official Otakon-sponsored or Otakorp-planned event, it's unlikely that your request for logo usage or a front page announcement to advertise the meetup will be granted. However, please do call ahead to any restaurants where you're planning to hold a meet-up; surprising the staff with a 10 or 15-person group is unsporting at best and downright hellish at worst.

There are tables scattered throughout the 300 level of the convention center where you may leave fliers advertising your meetup; however, you cannot hand fliers to other members or carry a sign advertising the meetup, as the former is considered solicitation and the latter violates our sign policy.

Keep in mind that you also have the traffic from this forum, which is not inconsequential.

I'd advise taking an approach similar to that of the Edo Sushi meet-up group: one person is in charge, and those who are interested PM that person so that he can have a rough head count for the restaurant. They'll call ahead to make reservations/give the restaurant a heads-up about the large party, meet up at the BCC, and head over to the restaurant for food and fun.

On that note, please relay all headcounts to me so I can start booking the table. It would be nice to see how many people are going so we can be prepared. Let's try to make this a good time for all <_<