The wait for.....OTAKON 2008!

Well, like pretty much everyone here,I am very excited about Otakon 2008. And I was wondering ((just to let my excitment out)) What are somethings you are doing to pass the long 3-4 weeks until otakon. How are you preparing for otakon?

Me, I find myself making lists and lists. Like list of food to buy, lists of anime to catch up on...and *heehee* I have to list my manga, that way I dont buy doubles......I have over 400 manga..... -.-;; ...

yea.

Ok....I know I have a-lot of manga......

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've still got props to work on. Besides that, I guess I should establish meeting/driving/parking arrangements with my friends.

Oh. And also I'll be doing my best to pick up as many shifts at work as possible. I love my coworkers to death, I'm okay with wearing the tights, but it's just my luck when I serve people who leave me ten dollars or less. Come on, there's swag I gotta buy in a month!

Wow. Otakon is only 3 and a half weeks away. O.o .. I thought it was longer.

Anyhow, apart from finding people to fill the remaing spots in my hotel room, nothing other then what I usually do week-to-week.

OH.. I'm deciding what movies to encode to my iPod for any down-time that I have as well. ^_^

wow its coming so fast and im reeeally excited but i kinda wish it would slow down cause im not ready

im not done my costume yet (almost)

i ordered a wig from china like 3 weeks ago and its suppose to take like over a month to ship and operantly it hasnt even went over seas yet T-T

my money isnt very high because of prom this year xD

i just need like an extra 2 weeks haha xD

Well, I distract myself with work and going to my boyfriend's house, or hanging out with friends. Next week I'll be at the beach, so that should take my mind off of the wait. :3

I'm just really excited for this year! It's gonna be awesome.

I'm shopping for my cosplay accessories; waiting for my wigs to be shipped, finding a couple pairs of shoes and making a couple accessories too, so that's kinda keeping my mind off the big weekend itself.

My band has two shows coming up too and one of them is REALLY big, so the work and the anticipation of that is taking my thoughts off Otakon hype. I know once the shows are done next week I'll turn my full attention towards Otakon and get even more excited!!

I can't wait!!

1.Fly to Baltimore for the last staff meeting before the convention to find out what I'll be doing at con and go over the master schedule

2. Create multiple packing lists for the convention since I am going to be going in early.

3. Otawork

4. Go to the Gym and and also work out on my Wii Fit at home

5. Beach...lots of beach

6. Hang out with friends and the significant other.

7. Watch my 18 month old niece destroy the house

8. SHop

9. Play video games

10. Go do work for my company

11. Sleep somewhere between all that.

12. Keep staff sane.

I've still got props to work on. Besides that, I guess I should establish meeting/driving/parking arrangements with my friends.

Oh. And also I'll be doing my best to pick up as many shifts at work as possible. I love my coworkers to death, I'm okay with wearing the tights, but it's just my luck when I serve people who leave me ten dollars or less. Come on, there's swag I gotta buy in a month!

:wub: hoping that all my new lolita items come in time for me to wear them out at Otakon !

- making a shopping list

- making a packing list

- working out to downsize my waist so I can hopefully get new lolita items

- hoping work calls so I can get more money for Otakon

Wow. Otakon is only 3 and a half weeks away. O.o .. I thought it was longer.

Anyhow, apart from finding people to fill the remaing spots in my hotel room, nothing other then what I usually do week-to-week.

OH.. I'm deciding what movies to encode to my iPod for any down-time that I have as well. :)

Working on pieces for the Art Show. My big piece isn't going to be done on time so I'm temporarily dropping it to work on some small pieces just so I can have something there. Not much left to do in the costume department since those were completed for an earlier con. Been watching some titles I hadn't seen before. I'm on pins and needles waiting for the AMV finalists to be announced. I feel really good about my chances because my category had the least number of entries and all of them might be in but I have my fingers crossed for a few friends in the category with the most.

Not really going all crazy this year with preparation for Otakon specifically with a wedding to plan in the meantime. Next year will probably be a little crazier.

You make lists like me. *lol*

Oh heavens, if you could only see the list I make before I go anywhere (especially Otakon)

I list every single item I have to bring by name or description...for Otakon for example: blue wig, pink wig, yellow hair ribbon, orange armband, pink school uniform, brown stockings, black loafers, brown contact lens etc etc and I make a whole page of things I have to bring listed very specifically and I triple check everything! I'm very OCD about packing because I never wanna experience that feeling of dread one gets when they forget something hundreds or thousands of miles away from home :wub:

since i'm not in charge of my group this year ( I decided i needed my sanity) i actually haven't been that busy.

i already pre-registered so here's what i'm donig in the next couple of weeks:

- waiting for the dress and shoes i ordered to arrive

- still waiting for my exam scores

- acutalyl putting together my outfits for all 3 days

- waiting for some kind of sign that my gofer registration form was accepted

- working an average of 30 hours each week at the grocery store

- babysitting an average of ten hours a week for a demon child

- trying to learn the lyrics to 2 songs for the cafe

- cleaning my room

- meeting up with my group members and other friends

- visiting the bank ALOT

- waiting for my new group leader to tell me how much i owe in hotel fees

- finding time to visit my grandmother

- studying my japanese

- AND working out everyday

if i were still the head of my group and if i was making everyone's cosplays like i did in previous years, then this list would be a helluva lot longer.

since i'm not in charge of my group this year ( I decided i needed my sanity) i actually haven't been that busy.

i already pre-registered so here's what i'm donig in the next couple of weeks:

- waiting for the dress and shoes i ordered to arrive

- still waiting for my exam scores

- acutalyl putting together my outfits for all 3 days

- waiting for some kind of sign that my gofer registration form was accepted

- working an average of 30 hours each week at the grocery store

- babysitting an average of ten hours a week for a demon child

- trying to learn the lyrics to 2 songs for the cafe

- cleaning my room

- meeting up with my group members and other friends

- visiting the bank ALOT

- waiting for my new group leader to tell me how much i owe in hotel fees

- finding time to visit my grandmother

- studying my japanese

- AND working out everyday

if i were still the head of my group and if i was making everyone's cosplays like i did in previous years, then this list would be a helluva lot longer.

I still have quite a bit of work to do for everything that I'll have at my artists alley table. Thankfully, though, my comic book is done and at the printers. Other than that, I'm sure I'll spend a lot of time in front of all the gaming consoles I own (well over 10 now).

I still have quite a bit of work to do for everything that I'll have at my artists alley table. Thankfully, though, my comic book is done and at the printers. Other than that, I'm sure I'll spend a lot of time in front of all the gaming consoles I own (well over 10 now).

For me there's work, gotta get that cash for the Dealer's Room. I'm also building some Gundam models I bought last year so I can make room for the ones I'm getting this year. :wub: I've also made an AMV, and hopefully I'll catch up on some of my anime, I want to complete at least one series before the con.

For me there's work, gotta get that cash for the Dealer's Room. I'm also building some Gundam models I bought last year so I can make room for the ones I'm getting this year. :wub: I've also made an AMV, and hopefully I'll catch up on some of my anime, I want to complete at least one series before the con.
Well, like pretty much everyone here,I am very excited about Otakon 2008. And I was wondering ((just to let my excitment out)) What are somethings you are doing to pass the long 3-4 weeks until otakon. How are you preparing for otakon?

Me, I find myself making lists and lists. Like list of food to buy, lists of anime to catch up on...and *heehee* I have to list my manga, that way I dont buy doubles......I have over 400 manga..... -.-;; ...

yea.

Edited by calculusman

yea.

Well, I've been making lists (mostly mentally at this point, but soon I'll actually be writing it down) for what I need to do for Otakon. List of what food to bring (mostly breakfast and water). List of other things I need to bring (hotel info, registration info, driving directions, money, etc.) and so forth. Last year was my first year and I was uber-prepared (since it was really my first vacation by myself), and since it's nice when 90% of the stuff goes the way you planned due to preparing, I'll probably try to be uber-prepared this year as well.

Other than that...I work so that helps lol.

yea.

Well, I've been making lists (mostly mentally at this point, but soon I'll actually be writing it down) for what I need to do for Otakon. List of what food to bring (mostly breakfast and water). List of other things I need to bring (hotel info, registration info, driving directions, money, etc.) and so forth. Last year was my first year and I was uber-prepared (since it was really my first vacation by myself), and since it's nice when 90% of the stuff goes the way you planned due to preparing, I'll probably try to be uber-prepared this year as well.

yea.

omg....good thing you said you make lists of reg info...I almost forgot to print my reciets from pre reg....that would have been bad *lol*

I make lists of lists :wub: I seem to have more to do this year than in previous ones and I'm not even the one in charge of finding people fo the hotel room, food stuffs and the like; but it seems I still have my work cut out for me when I look at my list:

- I'm picking up more shifts at both jobs so I can have a bit more spending money since what I did have saved up was used for an emergency.

- Finishing the props and accessories for my cosplay.

- Test runs with my contacts, I'm up to 3 hours now.

- Grocery list for my share of room food. (I actually just completed that part)

- Lists of clothing I need to pack. I tend to leave things behind so I need a packing list.

- Practicing the songs I plan to sing at the Otacafe.

- Burning cds of said songs and/or downloading to mp3 player.

- Priniting out new lyrics as well as my con receipt.

- Sleeping as much as possible.

- Shopping list of things I need, things I want, and things I hope I have enough money to buy.

- Keeping tabs on the web board and the main website for any updates.

...and I'll probably have a list of more things to do.

Edited by Ultimecia029

^_^

I make lists of lists :wub: I seem to have more to do this year than in previous ones and I'm not even the one in charge of finding people fo the hotel room, food stuffs and the like; but it seems I still have my work cut out for me when I look at my list:

- I'm picking up more shifts at both jobs so I can have a bit more spending money since what I did have saved up was used for an emergency.

- Finishing the props and accessories for my cosplay.

- Test runs with my contacts, I'm up to 3 hours now.

- Grocery list for my share of room food. (I actually just completed that part)

- Lists of clothing I need to pack. I tend to leave things behind so I need a packing list.

- Practicing the songs I plan to sing at the Otacafe.

- Burning cds of said songs and/or downloading to mp3 player.

- Priniting out new lyrics as well as my con receipt.

- Sleeping as much as possible.

- Shopping list of things I need, things I want, and things I hope I have enough money to buy.

- Keeping tabs on the web board and the main website for any updates.

...and I'll probably have a list of more things to do.

ugh so much work. I work two jobs actually one in a deli, one helping my grandfather on his farm so that takes up alot of my time during the week (not to mention trying to get The Ninja Legion back up and running at 100%). I'm pretty much the group leader all the time with cons it seems and with a huge gathering of personal friends for a Edo run on thursday that I'm planning it doesn't look like things will be getting easier. Then the shopping list of rare manga and anime and live action vids......T_T I feel overwhelmed *cries*

~Fist

- Finalizing last few guests

- Firming up schedules

- Putting together shopping lists

- Arranging remaining flights for guests and interpreters

- Keeping tabs on guest questions

- Trying to get my house cleaned up

- Arranging for cat-sitter

- Trying to find another pair of sneakers to wear at con

- Dealing with several billing/payment issues

Oh yeah I'm also trying to renovate my kitchen.

- Firming up schedules

i have to finish my cosplay. need a new suit and white dress shirt to go with it along with creating my prop. i just got finished with my summer job so i have time now :D!

I really can't wait! Im imagining what im going to do!

So pretty much, send in my application for a job

Save money

Plan the car arrangments

Get things that I would want to have like, ddr, and songs 4 ipod

Help my friends prepare

prepare for Otacafe and DDR

and finish my cosplay.

Oh and just sit and wait.

- Firming up schedules

I think you def. have the most to do out of us all...otakon will come fast for you. *lol*

Oh heck no -- you should see the to-do lists for some of our other staff!

People generally have *no* idea how much work is really involved.

The toughest part is the sneakers, honestly. I wear a size 15, so shoe shopping for me is walking into a store and saying "what do you have in size 15", and then if they have any at all, seeing if either pair makes me want to poke my eyes out. Then I hand over my money and hope that I haven't misjudged the fit. :D

Right now, pulling money out of my bank so I dont spend it.

Then figuring out how to make more before otakon.

Then making a list of stuff I want to find in the dealers room.

I'm just getting things together, will probably get thy badge on Thursday to avoid the heavy lines on Friday. Also, once the schedule is out I can plan what I'll do and who I'll meet up with. Hint, hint. Finally, I'm rounding up inqiries from buddies over at the VoxBox @ Dubreview as I'll be trying my best to get answers for them (e.g. questions from guests). More in a bit.

I'm currently working 2 jobs so that I'll have enough money for the con.

as of right now I dont have enough money to go but I'll be getting my paychecks a week before the con starts - and its a significant amount. but until then, I'm flat broke.

as of right now I dont have enough money to go but I'll be getting my paychecks a week before the con starts - and its a significant amount. but until then, I'm flat broke.

This is going to be a very busy few weeks before Otakon. I have to:

1. Get my Haircut.

2. See my Doctor. Both of which are this weekend.

3. Figure out if I can make Thursday night orientation. need to switch or get the time off.

4. Get through month end at work. Consignments are what I do at work.

5. Get ready for my family reunion.

6. Go to Family Reunion the weekend before con.

7. Go to three Aberdeen Ironbirds games.

8. See Batman: Dark Night (that is this weekend).

9. Get the Con Runners Dinner together.

And about 20 other things between now and then, not including packing and all those little things. It is going to be a busy few weeks for me. Not as busy as Jim Vowles, but busy enough.

Currently waiting for Otakon entails-

Having my friends reimburse me $20 owes me for overpaying my share of the van this year to put towards Ota-$$.

Prepping for a puppet show I'm doing for a professor who is insultingly underpaying me. More Ota-$$. Wooh, $45 towards Ota-$$ so far.

Waiting for a company to call to confirm they are in fact hiring me so I can start this week and get a paycheck before Otakon.

Calculating bills and crying over the $600 I don't have right now for the rest of my July bills.

Studying for the GRE Exam.

STRESS! STRESS!!!!!

Will attempt to find money to see Dark Knight and X Files.

I pretty much try to keep busy so I don't get so antsy at the 3 week mark. The week of Ota Mon-Wed is like the worst, I'm so antsy to get there. ^^

Currently: O_______________O;;;;;

Running around trying to finish products for the Alley, working a full-time job. I haven't had a night where I've done nothing for weeks...maybe months?!

Got home today at 5:20, ate a quick dinner at 8, worked until 10, currently checking the interwebs, will probably work until 11:30, wake up at 4:30, get ready for work, leave for work at 8:00 (working on product in the interim between dressing and leaving).... been the same schedule for the past few weeks.

It's crazy up in here, man. Someone better buy my stuff. ;_______;

(subliminal messaging: Fake Radish Studios, N-13/N-1!)

I am making sure everyone in my group pre-regs and I am limiting spending. I made a list of the manga I need to buy, and I check this forum a lot, which I really only start to do about a month before Otakon.

I can't wait! Thinking about Otakon makes me want to do more asian centric things too. I found a place in Pittsburgh that has all you can eat sushi on the weekend! \o/ So going this Saturday. I just had a bubble tea smoothie and shimp and string beans from a Taiwanese restaurant! It was awesome! :D

ugh so much work ......T_T I feel overwhelmed *cries*

~Fist

Studying for the GRE Exam.

STRESS! STRESS!!!!!

Will attempt to find money to see Dark Knight and X Files.

Work work hungry work work study ... I can always sleep in late-October.

Kinda sounds like how I was, I pulled my last pay check out before I could spend it and put it in an envelope. Now I get payed 2 more times before con, once next week, and one thursday day of badge pick up, so I'll have to swing by work get my pay and drop it in the bank and remove the money friday morning before heading up.

Between now & Thursday Aug 7th, I will be doing the following in no particular order:

~ Working my lovely job that certainly doesn't pay me enough

~ Going to school Tue, Wed & Thu nights enduring my school internship

~ Getting my group ready for Otakon, at least 2 newbies coming with me this year

~ Visiting the Otakon BBS on a daily basis for important info & updates

~ Catching up on my anime

~ Trying not to let my family & friends drive me insane...

Edited by Shineigami02

Between now and Thursday August 7:

- email all you lovely and patient fan panelists your timeslots :D

- continue collaborating with Herr Guests and Herr Industry, as well as Herr Autographs

- work my other two jobs

- soothe concerns that you lovely and patient fan panelists may have

- figure out the errata that will need to be updated on signs/what have you at-con D:

- explode

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.