Otakon 2008 Time Warp

It is still a very counter cultural film that resonates with geeks and film fans to this day. I don't think doing the Time Warp is relevant to Otakon as an event.

The only real connection would be our time travel theme for this year. But I have to confess, there is some appeal to the idea of the cast of "Those Who Hunt Elves" or "Tenchi Muyo" all doing the Time Warp.

One thing we're keeping an eye on, in general, is the relevance of things to our core mission. We are not a generic "everything" convention or "nerd prom"; we're a celebration of east Asian popular culture, with a focus on anime, manga, cinema, music, and video games.

While at Anime Expo this year, we saw lots of mission drift -- prominently-featured D&D exhibits, roving bands of girls singing songs from RENT (badly), and an increasing trend toward completely unrelated cosplay -- and while I have no problem with fun, I don't think it's too much to ask that the convention remain true to its roots. I love Doctor Who more than most people do (there are few people who can best my nerd credibility there), and I'm no stranger to pirate garb, but I think there's a time and place for such things.

The only real connection would be our time travel theme for this year. But I have to confess, there is some appeal to the idea of the cast of "Those Who Hunt Elves" or "Tenchi Muyo" all doing the Time Warp.

One thing we're keeping an eye on, in general, is the relevance of things to our core mission. We are not a generic "everything" convention or "nerd prom"; we're a celebration of east Asian popular culture, with a focus on anime, manga, cinema, music, and video games.

While at Anime Expo this year, we saw lots of mission drift -- prominently-featured D&D exhibits, roving bands of girls singing songs from RENT (badly), and an increasing trend toward completely unrelated cosplay -- and while I have no problem with fun, I don't think it's too much to ask that the convention remain true to its roots. I love Doctor Who more than most people do (there are few people who can best my nerd credibility there), and I'm no stranger to pirate garb, but I think there's a time and place for such things.

Oh, dear GAWD no!

It's bad enough we have Jedi, Jack Sparrow, and most likely Sweeney Todd wandering Otakon. Never mind I've been doing RHPS for going on 14 years and would like to get away from it once in a while...like during Otakon. :wacko:

It kinda baffles me too. It's got absolutely nothing to do with what Otakon's about.. and I found the film more or less appalling. o.O

I remember seeing a lot of para para demos at otakon about 5 or so years ago and when i think of early dance openings/closings in anime i think of Maze. I think it would be interesting to see the time warp but only if people were in character but i could be wrong of course.

But its for some reason becoming very popular i think because they are making new spoof versions of the film or shout out versions idk ive never fully watched it but apparently theres a DVD with two versions of the film, the original and the spoof shout outs.

*twitch* ok...as a tried a true Rocky watcher (as in I've seen it IN theatre 100+ time)...I'll let you all in on a little secret...the only true way to see this movie is in a theatre, with lots of friends, learn the A.P. (audience participation) lines by listening, throw popcorn, toast, toilet paper and get 'ON YOUR FEET!' for the Time Warp...lol

Oh and if go plug 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' into Wikipedia and you'll learn quite abit about this cult classic...then you should go track down a theatre that shows it...

(in the name of the franky, the rocky, and the hoooooooly riff raff)

Well I had no idea what the time warp was before this thread and I can seriously say I hope it doesn't happen. Go do it at Horrorfind, which is the same weekend as Otakon.

Not that anybody cares, but I did hear that they were planning on remaking the movie. To this I ask WHY!?!?!? Anybody else hear about this?
Not that anybody cares, but I did hear that they were planning on remaking the movie. To this I ask WHY!?!?!? Anybody else hear about this?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.