Help with 2 items for a costume please?

Greetings... *waves*

This will be my first con on this scale, so besides being a nub this time around, I also want to be as convincing as possible. I'll be going as Train Heartnet from Black Cat (I imagine I've said that enough on a few threads.... sorry....) but regardless, I'm not aware of the rules for cosplay besides something I heard about metal not being allowed. Does that apply to small diecast metal guns... probably yes... but just verifying?

The point I was hoping I could gather even the slightest of opinions on how to go about doing this. I've everything arranged excepting his trench coat-type outerwear and his gun "Hades". Here's a picture of both.

"Hades"

http://tn3-2.deviantart.com/fs15/300W/f/20...s_by_Shinix.jpg

"Black Coat/Cloak?

http://www.onemanga.com/Black_Cat/13/21/

I'm thinking for the gun I could check a few toy stores, buy a gun, tear it apart and built from the frame, but I'm trying to get a satisfying weight for the gun also. So that's the problem there. But I'm *very* stumped on the coat/cloak. I've looked all over online and at local clothing stores for any kind of trench coat or leather coat type thing that I could sew an out cape from left to right to match the picture above. I'm willing to throw down maybe $200 at best but I still can't find anything that works for his particular cloak/coat.

Any info/suggestions for the gun or coat/cloak would be most appreciated. I'll email you an e-cookie happy :(

I can't really help you since I don't have any ideas myself. Sry. But props to cosplaying as a Black Cat charc. ^^ I haven't seen one yet and I think this series deserves more cosplayers xDD Hope to see you at the con! =DD

For the coat, check thrift stores for men's rain/trench coats (think a London Fog style one). You can then use scissors to tatter the end like his has (be sure to stitch the edges, though, so that they don't fray and tatter more). If the coat you find is the wrong color, you can also add dye to it; look for RIT dye (it can be used in a washing machine, yaaay), available at most craft stores - a powder and a liquid form is available; I prefer the liquid. Ask your mom or other washing machine users first, though! :angry:

As for the gun, EDIT don't try to find a cheap airsoft replica of a small handgun /edit. Be extra-certain sure to hotglue or otherwise disable all of the moving parts (yes, even the ones on the inside); then, you can use shaped foam to create the bits that make his gun a signature firearm. Prime the whole thing when you're done, and paint it (foam eats paint like a hungry lion eats zebras, so be sure to have the foam well-primed before you paint it!). Make sure to leave a good-sized orange tip on the end!

Edited by ZGL
fixed statement about finding an airsoft gun
For the coat, check thrift stores for men's rain/trench coats (think a London Fog style one). You can then use scissors to tatter the end like his has (be sure to stitch the edges, though, so that they don't fray and tatter more). If the coat you find is the wrong color, you can also add dye to it; look for RIT dye (it can be used in a washing machine, yaaay), available at most craft stores - a powder and a liquid form is available; I prefer the liquid. Ask your mom or other washing machine users first, though! ^_^

As for the gun, try to find a cheap airsoft replica of a small handgun. Be extra-certain sure to hotglue or otherwise disable all of the moving parts (yes, even the ones on the inside); then, you can use shaped foam to create the bits that make his gun a signature firearm. Prime the whole thing when you're done, and paint it (foam eats paint like a hungry lion eats zebras, so be sure to have the foam well-primed before you paint it!). Make sure to leave a good-sized orange tip on the end!

For the coat, check thrift stores for men's rain/trench coats (think a London Fog style one). You can then use scissors to tatter the end like his has (be sure to stitch the edges, though, so that they don't fray and tatter more). If the coat you find is the wrong color, you can also add dye to it; look for RIT dye (it can be used in a washing machine, yaaay), available at most craft stores - a powder and a liquid form is available; I prefer the liquid. Ask your mom or other washing machine users first, though! ;)

As for the gun,EDIT: don't try to find a cheap airsoft replica of a small handgun /edit. Be extra-certain sure to hotglue or otherwise disable all of the moving parts (yes, even the ones on the inside); then, you can use shaped foam to create the bits that make his gun a signature firearm. Prime the whole thing when you're done, and paint it (foam eats paint like a hungry lion eats zebras, so be sure to have the foam well-primed before you paint it!). Make sure to leave a good-sized orange tip on the end!

I hadn't thought of a raincoat, and I was sure airsoft guns were not allowed, so this helps a slot! Many, many thanks for that! But not to sound like I'm completely list but what would I use to prime the shaft and foam?

Sorry, you're of course correct. ^_^ Look for one of those cheapie squirtguns (you know, the neon-clear-plastic ones?), and apply the same process to them. :) You can use a clear-coat type primer - or, check out acrylic paint medium at a local art supply store. This stuff is so weird, and is available in all sorts of consistencies and stiffnesses, but it'll paint on nicely over the foam. :)

Don't do it, she'll do more than pictures. She'll take you to random dates that you'll later regret! D:

Haha, joking obviously:P I've been wanting to see Black Cat cosplay (I just got into the anime/manga this past year)..

Don't do it, she'll do more than pictures. She'll take you to random dates that you'll later regret! D:

Haha, joking obviously:P I've been wanting to see Black Cat cosplay (I just got into the anime/manga this past year)..

LoL. Thankx for the advice :]

Edited by Baka_Neko

If anything... for a propgun, check out your local nerf section of a Toystore near you. They might have more of a variety than just a squirt gun, but the colors are so bright and odd and since it's plastic you can spray paint it. Unless of course you use "Said foam" and such... For a Trench coat, Depending on whether you're going with the manga or the Anime Style one, and if you know someone who has experience with dye or dying fabrics. Then you could do the whole look for one at a thrift store trim it, stitch it, dye it thing. If you go more the seamstress route, or tailor, depending on the title you prefer Good luck finishing it... hopefully there isn't alot else on your plate!

In the end. Have fun!

If anything... for a propgun, check out your local nerf section of a Toystore near you. They might have more of a variety than just a squirt gun, but the colors are so bright and odd and since it's plastic you can spray paint it. Unless of course you use "Said foam" and such... For a Trench coat, Depending on whether you're going with the manga or the Anime Style one, and if you know someone who has experience with dye or dying fabrics. Then you could do the whole look for one at a thrift store trim it, stitch it, dye it thing. If you go more the seamstress route, or tailor, depending on the title you prefer Good luck finishing it... hopefully there isn't alot else on your plate!

In the end. Have fun!