Otakon Advertising

I saw an ad for Otakon in this month's Shonen Jump (had never read it before) US and I must say I am impressed with the ad. Hiroko and Hiroshi look great in the ad. Two questions: I heard rumors of an TV ad for Otakon. I haven't seen it, yet. Will it be ready before the con or Am I in bed too early at night to see it (it's on Adult Swim)? Was the Shonen Jump ad a preview of Otakon's Program Book cover. If it is, I must say it is the best cover out of the five years I have been to Otakon.

interesting.... didnt know otakon could afford advertising. that is, advertising is really expensive plus i dont think otakon needs it since it's been getting along well with word of mouth, internet, etc.

still, a tv ad would be cool to see and it would be nice to see a banner or something hanging outside the BCC

interesting.... didnt know otakon could afford advertising....

Well it's all a matter of intelligent budgeting, a little negotiation, and looking at specific markets.

For example with a TV ad, it wouldn't make as much sense for us to advertise on the West coast as the East coast, so knowing this we can reducing the market area we would be paying to reach and thus reduce the cost. Likewise there are things like time slots and such we could work around if we so choose to stay within a budgeted amount.

Yes, we'll have TWO different ads running in the coming weeks. Unfortunately, this year we're limited to the Baltimore metro area, between now and the con, on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim. I'll post details a little later this week.

Yes, we'll have TWO different ads running in the coming weeks. Unfortunately, this year we're limited to the Baltimore metro area, between now and the con, on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim. I'll post details a little later this week.

seems to me, those tv ads in the baltimore area will only inform [or scare] baltimore residents about the con. ^_^

so, will these ads reach down to washington, dc so i can see them?

• 2 weeks later...

I finally saw the Otakon TV ad, during Total Drama Island of all shows, and honestly it didn't look that professional to me. Still happy that there's an ad for the con, but for something this huge I would've liked a bit more quality.

It's so cool that you guys are being more aggressive(it seems that way) on advertising this year.

I finally saw the Otakon TV ad, during Total Drama Island of all shows, and honestly it didn't look that professional to me. Still happy that there's an ad for the con, but for something this huge I would've liked a bit more quality.

Awwww.... so lucky, I want to see the ad your talking about.... As far as quality, I personally wouldn't care, as long as its purpose is to get the message out. Also I'm assuming that it would probably cost otakon tons more money for a higher quality ad, and honestly if I had to choose between paying more money for a higher quality ad vs. paying more money for the current ad to reach more people, I would choose the latter.

"That profession" compared to what? A typical 30-second TV commercial has a development budget that runs a few hundred thousand dollars; some have budgets that rival Otakon's operating budget for a year. A typical local commercial runs several grand. Ours cost us a comped membership and a fair bit of hard work by volunteers. And we got a pretty hefty discount on the ad package.

Personally, I prefer the adult swim one.

In a nutshell, we were hoping to be able to use footage from the animation, but it wasn't ready -- then things got very very busy and we ended up having a week to write it, put everything together, film it, edit it, find music, and prepare it for Comcast. That was for two commercials -- the adult swim one and the kiddy show one.

I still haven't seen it on TV, but I'd also caution you that frequently ads look fine when you hand them off, and they sometimes lose something in transition to TV. Or so I've been told by someone who works in the biz.

Whatever -- we'll learn from the experience. The main purpose of the ad is to get the word out to drive at-con attendance. This year is about getting our feet wet with the process and trying *something* -- it'll be more sophisticated next year.

I'm not 100% clear about the exact times things show; the way the ad buy works, you get "one placement" within a particular pattern, such as "one placement during adult swim on weds or thursday night" and "five placements during after school block between 7/28 and 8/1" and "two placements on saturday evening block on 8/2".

Such is the nature of the beast, but it sounds like people ARE seeing them. Hopefully it will generate some additional attendance.

"That profession" compared to what? A typical 30-second TV commercial has a development budget that runs a few hundred thousand dollars; some have budgets that rival Otakon's operating budget for a year. A typical local commercial runs several grand. Ours cost us a comped membership and a fair bit of hard work by volunteers. And we got a pretty hefty discount on the ad package.

In a nutshell, we were hoping to be able to use footage from the animation, but it wasn't ready -- then things got very very busy and we ended up having a week to write it, put everything together, film it, edit it, find music, and prepare it for Comcast. That was for two commercials -- the adult swim one and the kiddy show one.

I still haven't seen it on TV, but I'd also caution you that frequently ads look fine when you hand them off, and they sometimes lose something in transition to TV. Or so I've been told by someone who works in the biz.

Whatever -- we'll learn from the experience. The main purpose of the ad is to get the word out to drive at-con attendance. This year is about getting our feet wet with the process and trying *something* -- it'll be more sophisticated next year.

Question

So ur saying that the comercial is only in baltimore area on comcast. I have comcast but dont get baltimore content so i wont see it. Thats kinda depressing but at least its on tv. Just wanted to have a heads up if it was up here in central Pa.

I just went to youtube and saw something but i dont kno if it was the real deal.

Search under otakon 2008 and it should be the 1st on saying its a teaser. IDK if its real. If it was, then it was okay. It doesnt really show wat it was all about. Oh well.

I just went to youtube and saw something but i dont kno if it was the real deal.

Search under otakon 2008 and it should be the 1st on saying its a teaser. IDK if its real. If it was, then it was okay. It doesnt really show wat it was all about. Oh well.

the first time my sister and i saw the otakon commercial on adult swim we were just kind of sitting there for about 5 seconds, then laughed (from happiness of course :])

we thought it was pretty cool to finally see a commercial :]

i liked both commercials :)

Hungahhh!!!

D:

WHY

WHYY MUST I BE IN OCEAN CITY.

WHYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

-cough- escoose me.. D: I am SO lucky i live in baltimore.

sucks that none else and see it :[

HAAA :mad:

I CANNNNN <33

Im exicitamapated. UGH. MOM.

I NEED TO BE BACK IN BALTIMORE, NAO.

I've been seeing the TV add on Cartoon Network all the time now, love seeing that thing, took me by surprise when I first saw it. Only thing I can say is, seems it could have been a bit longer

Omgggg :] I saw the cartoon network one, and laughed out of amazement at it. It was so amazing. Now, i can't wait until the adult swim one. haa :]

Holy carp there's a clip from my panel from 06 in the kid version! I'm famous! (see :15, I'm on the far left)

If it weren't for the fact that I was in it, I'd like the AS one more. It's more creative. And no music (until the end for the AS one) makes it feel a little weird.

Edited by Aresef

The commercials were okay. I hope for next year they incorporate the Opening Animation they are feverishily working on completing for the commercial. I prefer the child's one as it tells what it is all about. If there was a joke in the Adult Swim one, I didn't get it.

The girl in the adult swim one should have smiled more I think.

While the commercials weren't amazing, if I saw it and didn't know about Otakon, I'd want to come, because I'm an otaku!

Let's just hope lots of otaku and kids who like anime see it! ^^

The whole point of the adult swim one is to be deadpan, almost snarky, and a little weird -- to match the tone of other promos and bumps on that channel. Smiling more would have been counterproductive.

I just saw the ads, and I really liked them. They were short, of course, but sweet. It's a start, but I think it can lead to better product next year.

I think Jim explained it well, but we had about a week and 1/2 to get both commercials together from concept to delivery. Like many of you, we were hoping the opening animation would be done in time, but it wasn't. I was disappointed they are only on in Baltimore through Comcast (I have Verizon so I can't even see them). Still, we were really happy to get something out there.

As for the professionalism and talent, the people in the video were the con coverage staff. None of us are actors, we're all shooters and editors that all have day jobs, so it was rushed. Actually I found some of the comments funny since I'm apparently 'creepy girl', as well as the voice in the kid version of the commercial and the head of Otakon Con Coverage.

Now that you know who I am, I should be easier to find if you want volunteer to make better videos for Otakon. There are several ways you can help:

1.We're actually hosting interviews with con members for an hour each day in the videography/ Con Coverage room (Otterbein North, where Light street cuts through BCC and where the line for dealers room was last year) There will be a sign outside of our door featuring the questions we'll ask (new questions each day) and times we're going to be interviewing. For individual interviews if you're 18 or under you'll need a parent to sign a waver. If you're 18 or older you'll have to sign one just saying we have your permission to use your footage for promotional use.

2. If you want to help in other ways, just stop in the room and give us you're info, or shoot me an e-mail post con. You'll also see Chris (deadpan guy) and I walking through the con taping, so feel free to stop us (as long as we aren't taping!) for more information.

3. Keep doing neat stuff and being enthusiastic during your time at Otakon. Please give us great footage to work with during the convention!

Aside from commercials we do highlight reels and may post videos of some of our cooler things from con on Youtube (must figure out legalities), so who knows where you'll show up.

Thanks and see you later this week!

Are there any plans on putting those commercials online?

(or better yet--are they already on youtube or something?)

On youtube now.

Kid's Version

Adult Swim Version

The whole point of the adult swim one is to be deadpan, almost snarky, and a little weird -- to match the tone of other promos and bumps on that channel. Smiling more would have been counterproductive.

Might I also add that Comcast wanted everything SD with a very compressed rate. I was a bit surprised.

Holy carp there's a clip from my panel from 06 in the kid version! I'm famous! (see :15, I'm on the far left)

If it weren't for the fact that I was in it, I'd like the AS one more. It's more creative. And no music (until the end for the AS one) makes it feel a little weird.

Getting music rights in a week make everything a bit difficult. Once again, I want to thank Concrete Prophet for writing us the Adult Swim music in a weekend and letting us use it for only a credit.

Next time we do a commercial, I'm sure we'll be putting an all call to local and independent bands who want to provide music for us. We'll also need music for other promotional items

If anyone thinks their music would fit great with Otakon, please let me know!

Getting music rights in a week make everything a bit difficult. Once again, I want to thank Concrete Prophet for writing us the Adult Swim music in a weekend and letting us use it for only a credit.

Next time we do a commercial, I'm sure we'll be putting an all call to local and independent bands who want to provide music for us. We'll also need music for other promotional items

If anyone thinks their music would fit great with Otakon, please let me know!

I've been seeing the TV add on Cartoon Network all the time now, love seeing that thing, took me by surprise when I first saw it. Only thing I can say is, seems it could have been a bit longer

We wish it could have been longer, but longer cost more. Those were 30 second spots, which were a step up from the cheapest, 15 second spots.

When we first mentioned this commercial idea, let me tell you we had epic planned. We had ideas with flying chibis, dancing sushi, and an instructional guide to going to Otakon reminding you how to pack for Otakon.

Then we got the 30 second spot. The intros we had planned were 30 seconds, so no previous idea worked. We also found out they'd air right before the con, so we agreed we needed to explain what Otakon was. That's out the deadpan commercial came about, we realized we really just had enough time to read it. We were hoping to fill in the last 8 seconds with the beginnings of the Madhouse animation, but we just couldn't get it on time.

Though I'd also love "Otakon, the epic minute of awesomeness!" we have to work with what we have. We'll have to see what next year brings, we have a couple cool ideas we have to check in to. :P

I was disappointed they are only on in Baltimore through Comcast (I have Verizon so I can't even see them). Still, we were really happy to get something out there.

It was good to finally be able to see them.

So out of curiosity, for those of us who couldn't catch it because we lived out in the middle of nowhere (such as Metro-DC,) just how tight around Baltimore was the distribution?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.