WHY NO POCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The BCC has an exclusive catering contract with Aramark. This means that Aramark is the only group who's allowed to sell any food, period, inside the Convention Center (though they've always turned a blind eye to people being discreet about bringing in lunch from across the street, or what have you). Remember that Mountain Dew giveaway last year (...two years ago?) in the video game hall? Aramark let it go on, but charged the company that did the promotion a hefty fee (and there were negotiations involved, too).

However, you can buy Pocky from Aramark (they've had Ramune soda in the past, too) at most of their little stands. Expect to pay quite a lot per box, though. Your best bet is to bring your own in with you - again, though, be discreet about it. :D

Oh so there are specific vendors that are allowed to sell snacks.THNX

Only Aramark. Their cafe is on the 300 level (above the lobby with the fountains), but sometimes they have small satellite stations set up with fruit, soda, and other similar items.

Is it sad that I was so focused on the con last year that I don't remember seeing ANY food.....anything? I should pay more attention this time around!

So does this mean none of the dealers are allowed to sell Ramune, too?

That's right. The only ramune allowed to be sold inside the BCC is ~$5 a bottle from the convention center concession tables. >_<

Price list in Otterbein Lobby in 2006:

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/4933/img0386kr1.jpg

Seriously, bring your own j-snacks and j-drinks. We cannot emphasize this enough.

Edited by motoki-O

I still think it's strange how Pocky just has to be the ultimate anime con snack XD

either way they all come in the same box.. just don't open it til the con.^^;

Note that Thai Pocky (the kind that generally sells for 89 cents or less) is made with slightly different ingredients, and has a vaguely coconutty taste to it. Japanese Pocky (the kind that's generally over $1) doesn't have the coconut ingredients, which results in a different flavor.

Aramark sells the Japanese kind. So if you've recently been on a budget diet of Thai Pocky, the $5 box you got from the concession stand may well have stood out in your... mouth. =0

some walmarts carry pocky even ^^; i've seen the small boxes of chocolate pocky at a local walmart for like 89 cents I think.
Note that Thai Pocky (the kind that generally sells for 89 cents or less) is made with slightly different ingredients, and has a vaguely coconutty taste to it. Japanese Pocky (the kind that's generally over $1) doesn't have the coconut ingredients, which results in a different flavor.

Aramark sells the Japanese kind. So if you've recently been on a budget diet of Thai Pocky, the $5 box you got from the concession stand may well have stood out in your... mouth. =0

some walmarts carry pocky even ^^; i've seen the small boxes of chocolate pocky at a local walmart for like 89 cents I think.

Clarification to my earlier post: the 89c/$1+ ranges are for the 'full size' boxes of Pocky. I have indeed seen the 'small size' chocolate Pocky boxes for lower amounts.

Quick guide:

Thai Pocky:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/28/62849778_18949f2324.jpg

Japanese Pocky:

http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/products/pocky.jpg

French Pocky (manufactured by LU, the makers of those sinfully delicious "Le Petit

Edited by motoki-O
I too have a Grand International Market nearby. I shall be bring different flavors of pocky, sure, but there are so many other Japanese snacks! Personally, I prefer the koalas ^.^

Try the Chocolate Colon japanese snacks.

(Actually spelled Collon, but Chocolate Colon sounds ickier XD )

I too have a Grand International Market nearby. I shall be bring different flavors of pocky, sure, but there are so many other Japanese snacks! Personally, I prefer the koalas ^.^

Have you tried Pepero? It's delicious~ ^_^

Edited by Champagon

=w= you guys should also try melty blend (or better known as melty kiss~<3) and back to the original statement: D: i almost died at the pocky price at otakon. So, I just bought banana and green tea pocky to share amongst friends.

We just pack Pocky on our luggage (not our carry on) and hope it doesn't get smashed while we fly up there.

Cuz I do not wanna pay $5 for a box of Pocky. I can get it super cheap in China Town or some other places in the city. ^_^

The Walmart I work at doesn't carry any anymore. Yet when we did it would sell out the same day. Hmm. And it was 89 cents a box. :D

Edited by DuelNatsuko

Have you tried Pepero? It's delicious~ :)

*GASP* your one of them!!!! shun the non-believer!...shuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnna

The Korean Pocky is the same. They sell large plastic cylinders of it at asian supermarkets here for like $3-$4. They probably have the equivalent of 4 Pocky boxes and are the same exact thing, just different name.

*ahem*

For those of you playing along at home, Pepero (sometimes referred to as the above "Korean Pocky") *isn't* Pocky. Pepero is a remarkably Pocky-like confection, manufactured by the Korean candy company Lotte since 1983.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepero

Pocky, on the other hand, is an even more remarkably Pocky-like confection, manufactured by the Japanese candy company Glico since 1965.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocky

I don't mean to knock Pepero, since it's just as delicious in its own right, but us Pocky-heads will often flinch when people get the two confused. =0

So does this mean none of the dealers are allowed to sell Ramune, too?

That's right. The only ramune allowed to be sold inside the BCC is ~$5 a bottle from the convention center concession tables. >_<

Price list in Otterbein Lobby in 2006:

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/4933/img0386kr1.jpg

Seriously, bring your own j-snacks and j-drinks. We cannot emphasize this enough.

5 bucks. wow anyone else see a rip OFF!!! that is way over priced. I understand making a profit but @#$% that is outrageous funny thing is people are still going to buy it at that price.

I guess I will have to spend my 6 and some change here in town for a case and bring it!