Decision made on 1st Mariner Arena

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-are...0,2163487.story

What do you guys think about this? I think the location works great, but finding a location for the circus, the Blast, the concerts, and more importantly, Otakon in the meantime will be a challenge. At least we'll have the Hilton.

I think we will not get a new arena in the end due to financing issues. It is a bold dream, but no NHL team (unless it is the Capitals) or NBA (especially with Abe Pollian owning the Wizards) is going to put a team there. I would have liked to seen a new arena near the Football stadium, so that Otakon will have a main events facility while the new arena is being built. I also wanted it at around 15,000 seats, so we can keep the Blast and get an AHL team to town (like the Philly Phantoms). It will be a minimum of two to three years before we see them even start on a new arena just to find a builder and get financing lined up.

Edited by tstidm1

Baltimore and Maryland officials have announced their plans for 1st Mariner Arena, 1st Mariner Arena is to be torn down and replaced with a larger venue and that officials want Baltimore to have either a NBA or an NHL team, they even said that the Baltimore Convention Center could use the new arena as overflow, the new arena could open as soon as 2012, the article is here: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal...402,print.story

July 25, 2008

State and city leaders unveiled plans yesterday to tear down the aging 1st Mariner Arena and replace it with a new venue big enough to attract a professional basketball or hockey team to Baltimore - an idea that drew a skeptical response from the sports world.

Calling the 46-year-old 1st Mariner Arena "functionally obsolete," officials said a new 18,500-seat facility would draw the biggest concerts and acts to Baltimore and could play host to major events such as the NCAA basketball tournament. A new arena would probably cost $300million or more, paid for largely with public money, and could open as soon as 2012.

Gov. Martin O'Malley and Mayor Sheila Dixon chose to put the new venue on the site of the current arena because of its proximity to the Inner Harbor, the Baltimore Convention Center and transit lines, and said they believe it would anchor the revitalization of downtown's west side. They rejected alternative sites in Canton, on the South Baltimore waterfront and in struggling neighborhoods that need an economic boost.

"We need a state-of-the-art arena because whether we have a major-league team in Baltimore playing basketball or shooting hockey pucks, this is a major-league city and it deserves a major-league arena," said M.J. "Jay" Brodie, president of the Baltimore Development Corp. and head of a panel formed to evaluate arena options. The panel issued its recommendations yesterday with the support of the mayor and the governor.

But Brodie and members of the arena panel said a large venue would be successful even without a pro team. They said major concerts would fill the arena as well as events like the NCAA Final Four or the ACC Tournament. They said the Baltimore Convention Center would use a new arena for spillover events it could not handle.

Edited by KSweeley

What a waste of State and City money. They should have let Ed Hale build it in Canton, where the more affluent population of the counties are willing to go. Another stupid move by Dixon/O'Malley and co.

And also, apparently the state and city officials do not know about Otakon, a convention that takes place at the Baltimore Convention Center has used the current 1st Mariner Arena for "spillover" events as this part of the article says:

They said the Baltimore Convention Center would use a new arena for spillover events it could not handle.
Edited by KSweeley

I do agree that it is a blatant waste of taxpayers money, but I don't think it would've been a good idea to put it in Canton. Number one Canton seems to be developing as a chic neighborhood more so than an entertainment district. Not to mention there is NOWHERE to park in Canton and NO public transportation besides two buses that run out there. Now I know the Inner Harbor is not that much better parking wise, but there are numerous expensive parking garages and on street parking. Canton you pretty much have to pray and wish you find a parking space. Public transportation is also more abundant downtown then the Canton area. I am aware of the "red line" extension to the subway but I'm pretty sure its not running anywhere near where Ed Hale had plans for his dream arena.

Honestly if your truthful you would know that Ed Hale just wants it in Canton due to all of his other ventures (including the huge 1st Mariner main office building) is situated there. I bet he just wanted to be able to see his team play without having to stray far from work. ^.^

What a waste of State and City money. They should have let Ed Hale build it in Canton, where the more affluent population of the counties are willing to go. Another stupid move by Dixon/O'Malley and co.
I do agree that it is a blatant waste of taxpayers money, but I don't think it would've been a good idea to put it in Canton. Number one Canton seems to be developing as a chic neighborhood more so than an entertainment district. Not to mention there is NOWHERE to park in Canton and NO public transportation besides two buses that run out there. Now I know the Inner Harbor is not that much better parking wise, but there are numerous expensive parking garages and on street parking. Canton you pretty much have to pray and wish you find a parking space. Public transportation is also more abundant downtown then the Canton area. I am aware of the "red line" extension to the subway but I'm pretty sure its not running anywhere near where Ed Hale had plans for his dream arena.

Honestly if your truthful you would know that Ed Hale just wants it in Canton due to all of his other ventures (including the huge 1st Mariner main office building) is situated there. I bet he just wanted to be able to see his team play without having to stray far from work. ^.^