Misspellings and slang that annoys

I'm a big stickler for proper spelling and not huge on online abbreviations. I'm always careful of spelling in e-mails and on fine message boards such as this one (thanks to Mac's lovely feature that automatically underlines misspelled words in any document or website I post on).

I'm not super picky about the way other people do it per say. I mean, I'm not the type to nitpick or point something out or anything, but sometimes I don't get how people can spell words incorrectly that we learned in, oh, first or second grade? Like my friend who never learned the rule about removing the e when adding an -ing? Like danceing, driveing, typeing? Talking to him online bugged me like crazy!

One of the worst offenders I have ever come across is an acquaintance on my myspace. I'll look just at her main page and share some of the bad ones:

waisting- wasting

Jeasus- yes, she misspelled Jesus O_o

cheak- check

exsactly- exactly

wierd- weird...this is one that I especially hate

So what drives you crazy? What misspelling do you hate the most? Share your annoyances here!

Normally I don't get bothered by internet slang but there is one word that just ticks me off like nothing else.

"pls"

"Thx" bothers me too but "pls" makes me want to slap you...hard (unless you are clearly being sarcastic). I even see it used in professional emails at work from our clients. Drives me nuts!

I wanna rip my hair out just looking at it in my own post.

The one that really, really bugs me is "teh" instead of "the". It's one of the most common words in the English language, not to mention one of the easiest to spell. Seeing it in someone's message/post/e-mail not just once, but multiple times drives me nuts. I can understand making a mistake; I sometimes type too quickly and make the same mistake myself. But I go back and correct it. It just doesn't seem right that others won't show the same courtesy.

I only use "teh" in jest, like "Big O is teh suck" and that's rarely, I can't imagine misspelling it repeatedly O_o

I think a lot of people misspell "weird" because of the whole "i before e except after c" rule, because well, it certainly doesn't apply to that. Ah, the English language...

I really hate when people mix up you're/your, there/their/they're, and then/than. :) And then there's whose/who's or it's/its.

People ask me to proofread things for them a lot because I catch grammatical errors very easily. I've caught them in published books as well. :/

Edited by .Schala.

Actually, the term is "per se", not "per say". It's one of those weird Latin phrases, meaning 'in and of itself'; 'intrinsically'. ^^;

Right now, I can think of one word in particular that seems to be misspelled online more than it's spelled correctly:

definitely - misspelled as definately, definitly, etc.

It's not a typo (like 'teh') or a colloquialism (like 'prolly' or 'lulz'), so there's no plausible reason why someone who otherwise knows how to spell would spell it that way.

Actually, the term is "per se", not "per say". It's one of those weird Latin phrases, meaning 'in and of itself'; 'intrinsically'. ^^;
Edited by SailorV

It drives me batty when people use "u" instead of "you", "ur" instead of "you're or your" and "tho" instead of "though".

I also get annoyed when people misspell or mispronounce my last name. The most common misspellings people make is Vail, Vile or Viall. It's Vial, one L and rhymes with style and dial. It's not like Vail, CO. As soon as someone mispronounces it, I am on it heh.

Don't get me started when people spell my first name with a Y instead of an I...grrrrr.....

Right now, I can think of one word in particular that seems to be misspelled online more than it's spelled correctly:

definitely - misspelled as definately, definitly, etc.

It's not a typo (like 'teh') or a colloquialism (like 'prolly' or 'lulz'), so there's no plausible reason why someone who otherwise knows how to spell would spell it that way.

It drives me batty when people use "u" instead of "you", "ur" instead of "you're or your" and "tho" instead of "though".

I also get annoyed when people misspell or mispronounce my last name. The most common misspellings people make is Vail, Vile or Viall. It's Vial, one L and rhymes with style and dial. It's not like Vail, CO. As soon as someone mispronounces it, I am on it heh.

Don't get me started when people spell my first name with a Y instead of an I...grrrrr.....

I. hate. when people can't be bothered to spell my name right. Especially when it's staring at you from the signature of my e-mails.

Other than that, I'm pretty ambivalent towards the way other folks type.

Since I've always had an higher than average vocabulary thanks to my Mom, misspelled words will forever annoy me. You don't need a spell check around me, I'll be sure to let you know, misspelled words just seem to pop out at me. What annoys me the most is when I misspell a word & don't notice it before I post or send something. :(

All this slang shortening words when not necessary isn't any better. Some of them I don't mind & use myself like b/c, w/o, lol, brb, ttyl & sometimes even u when texting on my cell. Others like pls, thx, & prolly couldn't annoy me more. Alot of them I admit I don't know at all & look at confused! :blink:

As far as my name is concerned, I'm used to having it misspelled, in fact it surprises me when someone gets it right the 1st time. I'm always spelling it out for people, simply b/c there are too many ways to spell Chantal. To start with, my name is the original French spelling, but I use the English pronunciation so basically everyone assumes it ends with 'el' instead of 'al'. I absolutely hate it when they start spelling my name with an S though, especially when there isn't an S anywhere in my name! :D My last name isn't much better, people constantly find ways to misspell that too! :lol: I've been dealing with it my entire life...

Edited by Shineigami02
there has been only one thing on the internet that has irked me...

PLOX!!!

(first heard it in maple story..)

GRAHHHH! That one too!

Basically anything that's a substitute for "please". I can understand abbreviating words in chat to avoid lengthy paragraphs but "please" does not a lengthy paragraph make. It's just bad manners. Come on...if you're using "please", chances are you're asking someone to do something for you. Why risk annoying the hell out of them? Three extra keystrokes never killed anybody.

Man, I can't stand the abbreviation "idk," as well as other "short forms" of commonly used phrases. How hard is it to type properly?

a/s/l ne1?!

Also, I have a sort of strange name (Shari Fedak - no relation insofar as I know to Chris Fedak, producer of NBC's Chuck), so whenever anyone gets even vaguely close, I'm happy. I've gotten "Sherry Vedac", "Sherri Sedack", "Shary Fedick"............ the list goes on and on.

Damn my Ukrainian/Polish/Hungarian/Galacian/whatever heritage. x___x

Like most people, I perceive tone in online postings through sentence structure and attention to detail.

if sum1 typs lyk dis i thnk thy sound liek their readin it alloud

And that gives me the impression of a lack of intelligence, which may or may not be the case.

This is my pet peeve as well; There's a bold line between stupidity and laziness. I'll admit that I'm not the greatest practicioner of perfect grammar, but we live in the day and age of computers, and it's my belief that this transition into less effective, more convenient communication (in terms of tone and other non-visual, non-text aspects of language) requires a little more effort than most people give it.

Yuo? Usually a typo, it happens.

U? Die in a fire.

Yoo? Stop reading 4chan, it's making you stupid.

I try to be aware of how I type, especially in instant messages. I don't want to sound unintelligent but it is easy to criticize others before realizing your own mistakes.

I can let go of other people's typos, misspellings, etc. as long as they are not in legal/professional documents (if it's an attorney or any licensed professional who misspells, shame on him/her!). What I cannot stand is the mispronunciation of a name even when it has already been pronounced for the person. I am the only Asian in the office where I work. I get really irritated whenever I hear the name Nguyen pronounced "Nuwen." Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I pronounce it as I see it. Ngu-yen. These people always pronounce the nasalized ng when they use the gerund form of a verb. Do the Vietnamese pronounce the letter y in a different way? Is the Japanese currency yen pronounced 'wen?' The worst part of the whole situation is that I have to hear it everyday and the ones mispronouncing the name are on the other side of my cubby! ^_^ Heck, even the Board administrator pronounces it the same way (remember that I already pronounced the name for them and they continue to mispronounce it!)!

I am curious as to how they would pronounce the Chinese surname Ng. When I was working at a bank in Beverly Hills back in the 90's, I heard people (non-Asian ones) pronounce it 'Ing.' When I was working for a multinational company in Manila in the late 80's, however, I heard a Chinese lady from Hong Kong pronounce just the nasalized Ng (no short i before it).

Heaven forbid that they try to pronounce Thai names!

I can let go of other people's typos, misspellings, etc. as long as they are not in legal/professional documents (if it's an attorney or any licensed professional who misspells, shame on him/her!). What I cannot stand is the mispronunciation of a name even when it has already been pronounced for the person. I am the only Asian in the office where I work. I get really irritated whenever I hear the name Nguyen pronounced "Nuwen." Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I pronounce it as I see it. Ngu-yen. These people always pronounce the nasalized ng when they use the gerund form of a verb. Do the Vietnamese pronounce the letter y in a different way? Is the Japanese currency yen pronounced 'wen?' The worst part of the whole situation is that I have to hear it everyday and the ones mispronouncing the name are on the other side of my cubby! :mad: Heck, even the Board administrator pronounces it the same way (remember that I already pronounced the name for them and they continue to mispronounce it!)!

I am curious as to how they would pronounce the Chinese surname Ng. When I was working at a bank in Beverly Hills back in the 90's, I heard people (non-Asian ones) pronounce it 'Ing.' When I was working for a multinational company in Manila in the late 80's, however, I heard a Chinese lady from Hong Kong pronounce just the nasalized Ng (no short i before it).

I can let go of other people's typos, misspellings, etc. as long as they are not in legal/professional documents (if it's an attorney or any licensed professional who misspells, shame on him/her!). What I cannot stand is the mispronunciation of a name even when it has already been pronounced for the person. I am the only Asian in the office where I work. I get really irritated whenever I hear the name Nguyen pronounced "Nuwen." Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I pronounce it as I see it. Ngu-yen. These people always pronounce the nasalized ng when they use the gerund form of a verb. Do the Vietnamese pronounce the letter y in a different way? Is the Japanese currency yen pronounced 'wen?' The worst part of the whole situation is that I have to hear it everyday and the ones mispronouncing the name are on the other side of my cubby! :mad: Heck, even the Board administrator pronounces it the same way (remember that I already pronounced the name for them and they continue to mispronounce it!)!

XD I'll one-up you and see if you can pronounce my middle and last names (83 appropriately enough are Thai and Laotian)

Middle Name: Nuthitia

Last name: Sipayboun

XD i'll leave my first name up to the imagination but it's not hard since it's a latin name. :3 good luck

0h, 4nd 4n07h3r 7h1n6 i h473 15 wh3n p30p|3 f33| 7h3 n33d 70 7yp3 3v3ry7h1n6 1n 1337 5p34k b3c4u53 17 m4k35 7h3m f33| c00|.

Translation: Oh, and another thing I hate is when people feel the need to type everything in leet speak because it makes them feel cool.

0h, 4nd 4n07h3r 7h1n6 i h473 15 wh3n p30p|3 f33| 7h3 n33d 70 7yp3 3v3ry7h1n6 1n 1337 5p34k b3c4u53 17 m4k35 7h3m f33| c00|.

Translation: Oh, and another thing I hate is when people feel the need to type everything in leet speak because it makes them feel cool.

most grammar mistakes I ignore, but the one that drives me up a wall and makes me wonder if this world will survive the generation....

repeated misspelling of words, over and over, in the same post. very simple words....

txt speak.

i can't stand it online, can't stand it on message boards, can't stand it in a written note.

what the hell is wrong with people that they are handing in graded school essays with words such as u=you, 4=for, idk=i dont know etc etc etc etc

Edited by evaunit01berserk
what the hell is wrong with people that they are handing in graded school essays with words such as u=you, 4=for, idk=i dont know etc etc etc etc

idk, my bff no child left behind?

I admit, I use slang like that when I'm being silly, but... come on, people, there's a line to be drawn!

That sad part is... i could read the 1337 speak before i read the translation -.-

Things that annoy me is not a misspelling but the slang "TeeHee :) tee hee" or the "O_o uh yeah..." Because after that someone provoked a flame war but all the meanwhile they act all innocent about it then afterwords they post, " :) Aww calm down tee hee I was jokin"

I got a few words to say to miss troublemaker but I'm too god of a person to use such mean words.

I hate it how people have misspelled and mispronounce my first and last name. I constantly tell people my first name and they still mispronounce it or come to me and ask "How do you say your name again?" And my last name, Sweeley, it's not Sweeney or Sweely, it's Sweeley... Companies and people have even misspelled my first name which is Kun Sun, I've gotten items addressed as Ms. Kun Sweeley, or Ms. Sun Sweeley and that really annoys the heck outta me. I am a Mr. not a Ms... My first name is Kun Sun, not just Kun or just Sun, but Kun Sun, how hard is it to pronounce Kun (the K is a short K, sounds similar to a "c") and then Sun as in the sun in the sky.... ><