Live action Cowboy Bebop movie in the works!

"the project still isn't officially announced and Fox is still keeping it under wraps. However, a good friend inside the industry who is a very reliable source wrote in to tell me that the film is being fast tracked inside the studio and will most likely be out by 2010"

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/07/30/rum...oy-bebop-movie/

What does everyone think of this? Personally, I'm gonna have to say....coolest thing ever. There's plenty of room for error, but barring that, I think this could be really amazing. Comments? Criticisms?

Edited by SailorV
Keanu Reeves?! Really? Ugh. The man has all the personality (and acting ability) of a cardboard box.

I disagree -- he's very good at certain types of roles, but he's been SO typecast (as Neo, or Ted) and he hasn't done well with trying to branch out.

For what OUGHT to be an action piece where the lead is a bit of a cypher, Keanu could be a good fit, and a guaranteed draw.

Keanu Reeves?! Really? Ugh. The man has all the personality (and acting ability) of a cardboard box.

I disagree -- he's very good at certain types of roles, but he's been SO typecast (as Neo, or Ted) and he hasn't done well with trying to branch out.

For what OUGHT to be an action piece where the lead is a bit of a cypher, Keanu could be a good fit, and a guaranteed draw.

I'm going to have agree with Jim on this one. I think he was perfect for Speed, Will Smith also falls in this category but I think Will Smith has proven himself as an adaptable actor. I think I would rather see an unknown actor play Spike.

Although I agree that I think Keanu has been typecast too much and is capable of much more than some of the stuff he's done, I also agree that I'd still rather see an unknown in this part. However, if either Spike or Faye has to be an unknown, I'd rather Faye. We don't need some substandard Hollywood tartlet messing up the role. God forbid they put someone like Katie Holmes or Jessica Alba in the roll *gags*

Cowboy Bebop is one of those animations that is not workable as a live action film. Something so special and ground breaking that it should never be made into a Live action movie. I hope they never make an Eva movie, either.

Cowboy Bebop is one of those animations that is not workable as a live action film. Something so special and ground breaking that it should never be made into a Live action movie. I hope they never make an Eva movie, either.
Edited by theshaggyfreak

Cowboy Bebop was special and groundbreaking? I knew it was good, but the whole space bounty hunters thing has been done before.

I think keanu reeves is the best (non asian) choice for his character. His previous martial arts and gunplay training should prove valuable. I really hope they don't screw this up though.

It's just that Spike is such a... depthy character to say the least - sure, Keanu might be able to pull off the action bits, but if any of his previous work is an indicator, he's not too great expressing any complexity in his character. True, perhaps it's the roles he's been cast into.

How about Adrien Brody? Better actor. Oscar winner. He also would look a suprising lot like Spike.

Cowboy Bebop was special and groundbreaking? I knew it was good, but the whole space bounty hunters thing has been done before.
Edited by tstidm1

If they treat Bebop similarly to the recent Frank Miller-based films (300, Sin City) or that Watchmen trailer (....omg), I will be happy.

If it gets the treatment that the first Hulk movie got, or a Tim Burton-type Batman, I will be sad.

Better get someone good to play Vicious. :\

If they treat Bebop similarly to the recent Frank Miller-based films (300, Sin City) or that Watchmen trailer (....omg), I will be happy.

If it gets the treatment that the first Hulk movie got, or a Tim Burton-type Batman, I will be sad.

Better get someone good to play Vicious. :\

I agree with this.

I dunno, if you really wanna talk about groundbreaking adult animation, wouldnt Akira be more suitable? or Outlaw Star? Gundam Wing? I mean, alot of people got killed in those anime's, and they really weren't meant for kids. I guess it's just not all that groundbreaking for me. It was a great series though.

Watchmen looks.....absolutely GORGEOUS.

Really, Takeshi Kaneshiro should play Spike (or Vicious) I think he could work as either one.

They better get someone who knows how to use a sword really well.

I think what ever actors they get for the live action movie, they should just get the whole English Dub crew from the anime to voice the whole thing. haha. But yeah there are lots of ways for this thing to go wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

ok so the question now is Who would work as whom in the movie that you would see doing it

Keanu Reeves=Spike

?=Ed

?=Faye

?= Jet

fillin the blanks LOL

ok so the question now is Who would work as whom in the movie that you would see doing it

Keanu Reeves=Spike

?(no idea probably an unknown girl)=Ed

?(Anne Hathaway maybe)=Faye

?(Dyane 'The Rock' Johnson)= Jet

[did i spell that right?]

fillin the blanks LOL

[sorry wouldn't let me quick edit my last post]

There's a boom of turning animes into live action movies now. -_-

I'm excited FINALLY a live action movie of Cowboy Bebop +___+

Obviously Hollywood isn't original anymore or isn't willing to bank on originality. Remakes of foreign films, video games(which usually suck), comics and now manga. Old gossips of a Sailor Moon movie, Akira being made, Eva..and well I don't doubt they'll try more.

Hmm..Faye should be Asian in my opinion and I'd like to see Ed stay a young character, I love Summer but she's too old. Five bucks they'll make Jet black or fat. I'll still go see the movie but my hopes aren't high. Even DBZ which they really did look like they tried to modernize it an make it look semi realistic just doesn't float my boat. But I'll give it a chance.

Obviously Hollywood isn't original anymore or isn't willing to bank on originality. Remakes of foreign films, video games(which usually suck), comics and now manga. Old gossips of a Sailor Moon movie, Akira being made, Eva..and well I don't doubt they'll try more.

Hmm..Faye should be Asian in my opinion and I'd like to see Ed stay a young character, I love Summer but she's too old. Five bucks they'll make Jet black or fat. I'll still go see the movie but my hopes aren't high. Even DBZ which they really did look like they tried to modernize it an make it look semi realistic just doesn't float my boat. But I'll give it a chance.

whats the problem with jet being black? he IS black.....

Done with comics are they now onto manga and anime. May not be a bad thing, lately, Hollywood has been doing good with the comic movies will be fun to see an actual anime come to frutation. Even though hongkong does action better then USA. anyway should be interesting to see.

• 2 weeks later...

this could potentially be a really good movie, if they stay true to the original anime series. i would also like to see angelina jolie be faye :blink: and what about Christain bale as Vicious? he did a good job in the dark knight with that raspy cool-sounding voice!

oh and the dragonball movie looks like ass. god, what were they thinking.....

Dakota Fanning might be a cute Ed, but I don't know that she's acrobatic/agile enough.

Rachel Weisz could be an okay Faye (the girl from the first two The Mummy movies.

And I agree, Bale would be a MUCH better Spike than Keanu Reeves.

Dakota Fanning might be a cute Ed, but I don't know that she's acrobatic/agile enough.

Rachel Weisz could be an okay Faye (the girl from the first two The Mummy movies.

And I agree, Bale would be a MUCH better Spike than Keanu Reeves.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, there is a bomb on the Bebop. Dude."

• 1 year later...

Well I knew about this for sometime but there are a couple of things that were overlooked.

Yes Keanu Reeves will be Spike due to the fact he ran to the producers and practically demanded to do the role. My opinion is he could be a good Spike if he follows a couple roles. Number one is don't talk. Speak the lines don't overact them. Spike is a man of few words and all action. Use the training from the Matrix and learn more. If he does that he can pull off the role and we should like it.

I've heard that Jet will be Van Diesal and I can't think of anyone better that has the acting experience to pull of this role.

I heard a name for Faye and I can't remember who or what she did. But let's be honest if she looks good we all won't complan.

I have no idea who they can get for Ed but I hope it's a tomboy girl that can pull off the role. This one scares me and I just hope it is a female casted.

Now for the good news. The script for this movie will not be made without the creator of Beebop's approval. The Director that signed on said that he was such a fan of the anime that he refuses to create anything that DOES NOT have the actually creators blessing.

Now heres the problem.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/09/23/cow...or-fox-to-make/

After reading this artical I feel that Fox is planning on scaleing down the movie. This means one of two things. Either Fox is comming out and saying to all the fans "we are going to make a crappy movie of the anime you love so much" or "We are not gonna make this movie".

I hope it's not making the movie instead of scaleing back.

Edited by Tenchi23