Cash Or Card?

Which do you prefer for the con? Debit card or cash? I'm trying to decide how I'm going to split my money up between the two... I like cash because pretty much everyone accepts it, and it's easy to use... But I like my debit card because if I lose it my money is protected, not to mention no one besides me can you use it (It has my picture on it), but not every dealer accepts cards. So how do you split your money up? 50/50? 100% cash? 100% card?

Which do you prefer for the con? Debit card or cash? I'm trying to decide how I'm going to split my money up between the two... I like cash because pretty much everyone accepts it, and it's easy to use... But I like my debit card because if I lose it my money is protected, not to mention no one besides me can you use it (It has my picture on it), but not every dealer accepts cards. So how do you split your money up? 50/50? 100% cash? 100% card?

im not a big fan of cash, so i only have it with me when i need it. i usually carry my wachovia check card and an extra credit for emergency purposes. if i do need cash, ill find an atm somewhere.

95% card, 5% cash

This year i will try to use cash more. I have a bad habit of automatically taking out my credit card hehe.

and

<----level ding :D

Edited by Champagon

I try to use cash exclusively at the con. I have my debit just in case I need it for "Oh crap!" moments, but cash is just far easier for me to keep track of and budget come con-time than a debit card. I also have less of a temptation to buy everything ever I want with cash instead of plastic.

Edited by Onyx
im not a big fan of cash, so i only have it with me when i need it. i usually carry my wachovia check card and an extra credit for emergency purposes. if i do need cash, ill find an atm somewhere.

95% card, 5% cash

95% card, 5% cash

dont forget, usually by 5pm friday, the atms are empty of cash

Edited by theshaggyfreak

Being a Virgo, I'm naturally thrifty, I carry enough cash to take care of the essentials & a little extra, for anything beyond that I use my bank card. It's easier to keep track of your spending at cons if you don't use a card for small purchases.

~ Something to take note of ~ Even though most dealers nowadays accept credit/debit cards, many have a minimum purchase to use them.

Found that out the hard way last year when I wanted these 3 pins from this one dealer & was told there was a minimum purchase of $20 to use a card. Since at the time I had barely any cash on me (it was Sunday morning) I wound up buying an Edward Elric plushie I would've never bought otherwise, it's my 2nd official plushie, 1st being Ein from Bebop. I'd have rather found the black Mokona plushie I've been wanting.

So the lesson here is, carry enough cash on you so you don't wind up buying more than you intended to b/c of minimum purchase requirements.

I try to use cash exclusively at the con. I have my debit just in case I need it for "Oh crap!" moments, but cash is just far easier for me to keep track of and budget come con-time than a debit card. I also have less of a temptation to buy everything ever I want with cash instead of plastic.

I'm not big on carrying cash around for obvious reasons, but during Otakon I normally carry cash for the dealers room and debit cards for food and emergency uses. Always good to have a backup.

For budgeting purposes, I usually use cash. During past cons I've been to I didn't have a bank account yet (and thus debit card). I don't foresee much changing now that I do have one though. Just got so used to using cash. I don't tend to spend too much money. Though I will be carrying my debit card around as a backup in case I go over the amount I allotted myself.

I say Cash is a better way to go than Credit Card. Many Dealers don't accept Credit Cards, so it is better to carry cash. Credit Cards are for Ruth Chris or emergencies and not to buy things at Otakon.

If any of you want to take the time, you can google for ATM machine locations around Baltimore's Inner Harbour and prepare a map of your own showing the relative locations of ATMs (with the Otakon map (if they would re-map their link) you could print their's off and use that)

Provident, BB&T, 1st Mariner, Bank of America, Wacovia, M&T.

But as someone pointed out earlier, ATMs are usually depleted well before 5.

the closest Provident ATMs as an example:

Pratt Street Branch (this one is like right across the street from the BCC)

250 W Pratt Street

Baltimore, MD 21201

Lobby: Mon -Thu 8-3, Fri 8-4

and if you get hard up --

Maryland Science Center ATM (Dinosaur Hall & Cafe) (easy to find!)

601 Light Street

Baltimore, MD 21230 ATM

I'm all Cash. And don't even try getting it from me.

I have compartments on me ;]]]

But I cant even have a card so yeah ( ._.);

95% card, 5% cash

Agreed, though with reduced protection (granted it is practically the same if actually a branded check-card,) less favorable authorization processes, and because it serves as a direct tie with my back account, I prefer credit cards always paid in full over their debit cousins.

If a vendor tries increasing the price, ask them who their merchant account is with and if it violates their contract. Most banks forbid this practice a number of years back to remove the apparent-price-to-consumer barrier to increase usage. I have heard that it is still prevalent in other parts of the country and might make a comeback with the current situation, but if they try this tactic then the haggling process is not truely done yet.

99% card, $5 cash (well, $4 cash plus whatever change I have rolling around)

Debit card for the most part because I hate carrying cash. Since there is a BoA right across the street from the BCC, I can always with draw cash if I absolutely need it. Personal credit card in case of small emergencies, and a list of all my cooperate card (for my company) CC numbers for extreme emergences if I can't get in contact with my business partner to cover for me in that case.

I hate carring cash too... but I do for Otakon to keep from spening everything I have... cards make that way too easy . just don't put it anyplace strange so you lose it. in fact I got one of the Otakon batge holders with the pocket and that made thigns much easier.

If any of you want to take the time, you can google for ATM machine locations around Baltimore's Inner Harbour and prepare a map of your own showing the relative locations of ATMs (with the Otakon map (if they would re-map their link) you could print their's off and use that)

Provident, BB&T, 1st Mariner, Bank of America, Wacovia, M&T.

But as someone pointed out earlier, ATMs are usually depleted well before 5.

the closest Provident ATMs as an example:

Pratt Street Branch (this one is like right across the street from the BCC)

250 W Pratt Street

Baltimore, MD 21201

Lobby: Mon -Thu 8-3, Fri 8-4

and if you get hard up --

Maryland Science Center ATM (Dinosaur Hall & Cafe) (easy to find!)

601 Light Street

Baltimore, MD 21230 ATM

OT a little:

Good list! I work for one of the banks listed here, and I've been preparing my ATM for the big rush of Otakon attendees for the past week. (I also use to work for another bank on this list and they should know the drill by now) So hopefully you guys won't have to worry about many ATMs running out.

/end OT

Guest Hpnotiq115

I perfer cash. if u have a spending problem like me ^^0, its easier to curve spending and u can constantly remind urrself how much u have left.

But if urr plannin to get a big ticket item (or u just dont care how much u spent) then plastic is the way to go, cuz carrying around $200 for that item u wanted is just obnoxious, uncomfortable n i'm sure it can b easy to loose.

So i suggest cash for the cheaper items n plastic for the more expensive stuffs.

I'm bringing all cash, for travel some gas stations on the way give a discount for using cash (usually truck stops). I'm going to go to the bank tomorrow actually to get exact amounts (65 for registration, ect). I'm not too worried about carrying a bunch of money around anyway. I usually hit the dealer's room first and take my swag back to the hotel before dawning the costume (it's hot). The hotel is close and I do martial arts so I'm not too worried.

I usually go all cash, but I've become really uncomfortable carrying that kind of cash around, so this year I'm going half and half. When it's all cash, I tend to spend more cautiously, but I can't get over the insecurity of having a wad of bills around--dropping a $100 or even a $20 would kill me, and I'd rather not have cash on my person when the bums come around.

Well for my own security, I wear pants that have five or six pockets. I split my money, putting some in each of my boots, some in my sling, then the remainder in the several pockets in my cargo pants. I never put my wallet or money in my back pants pockets. This way should one pocket get picked, I'm not out of money.

Credit card for the hotel. Cash for the rest, unless their is some high dollar item that would need the credit card again. Debit cards have a "feature" where the vendor takes extra money out of the account for a few days until the transaction goes through, and then credits it back. I heard that on the news the other day.

Well for my own security, I wear pants that have five or six pockets. I split my money, putting some in each of my boots, some in my sling, then the remainder in the several pockets in my cargo pants. I never put my wallet or money in my back pants pockets. This way should one pocket get picked, I'm not out of money.
if you're on a budget, like me, then you'll keep better track of your money when you use cash. the biggest problem with this is walking around with $200+ would make be feel uncomfortable. plus you know that all the ATM machines are going to run out of money this weekend.

i guess it depends on how much you plan on buying - if you dont plan on buying much then you dont need to withdraw much money, and just keep the rest on your card. use your card for hefty purchases [hotel, resturant, dvd boxsets]

This pretty much sums up my method as well. This is a painful lesson if you love drinking and go out to bars often, lol.

Normally I like to pay everything with my credit card as it's an excellent way for me to see every month on the bill what I spent it on. Unless you save the receipts, with cash you sometimes forget after a couple days.

That being said, since I'm coming from another country, I think I'll mostly deal in cash as I don't want to get dinked on potential service charges for currency changing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.