Regarding Sub-titles

I have mentioned this for several years, but now is a good time since the schedule is posted. It appears, from the schedule, that sub-titled shows are going to be mixed in rooms with dubbed shows. I had hoped my sub-only and dub-only rooms idea would have been used, but for whatever reason it couldn't be implemented. Please make sure that the video images are as close to the top of the screen as possible. The black letter-box bars at the top can be moved off screen to bring the sub-titles up higher. Otherwise we get the yearly head swaying from people trying to read them. One taller person sits up front and everyone behind them starts moving their head left and right to try and read anything. It gets mentioned after the previous year's con, but gets forgotten in the scramble before the next one. Thank you for your time, and see you at the Otakon 2008.

I admit it is difficult sometimes to see the subtitles. I usually just change my seat if the room is not crowded and then I'm ok.

Someone needs to think about subbing at the top ^^ hehe!

It's actually something we adjust, slightly, each year. There is a practical limit to how much clearance they can provide in the smaller video rooms.

Sadly, we can't do stadium seating, and if you're a short person, you're kinda screwed. Not much we can do about it, but if it's any consolation, I'm 6'5 and I will NOT be sitting in front of you. :P

It's actually something we adjust, slightly, each year. There is a practical limit to how much clearance they can provide in the smaller video rooms.

Sadly, we can't do stadium seating, and if you're a short person, you're kinda screwed. Not much we can do about it, but if it's any consolation, I'm 6'5 and I will NOT be sitting in front of you. :P

The biggest help will be getting that black bar off the top of the screen, it is wasted space and will give you a foot higher on the sub-titles. The set-up crew needs to adjust for the letter-boxing, and not the default blue square from the projector. It really won't take much adjustment to make it easier to read the text. Does Otakon have set-up disks for the vendor to use for screen alignment?

The only problem with that there are still titles released unto the wild in *hushed tones* full frame format. *haunted house scream* So unless you limited yourself for scheduling by sticking all the 4:3 in one room(s) and all the widescreen in (an)others, you would need to move the projectors up and down between titles. Not a pretty task considering the equipment in on carts instead of hydraulic ceiling mounts, not something they would want staffers or gofers to be liable for doing, and not the best use of the a/v-tech group's time running around between showings.

Edited by Transepoch

Speaking of subtitles, one of the gripes I have about the anime screenings is that on the schedule some of the shows do not say whetever it's dubbed or subbed...I was wondering if you can clarify which ones are before we come in.

Reference: I think it was 2 Otakons ago when Gundam SEED Destiny vol.1 was supposed to be run dubbed on that Sunday, but they changed it to subbed when it started (to many a cheer).

Speaking of subtitles, one of the gripes I have about the anime screenings is that on the schedule some of the shows do not say whetever it's dubbed or subbed...I was wondering if you can clarify which ones are before we come in.

Reference: I think it was 2 Otakons ago when Gundam SEED Destiny vol.1 was supposed to be run dubbed on that Sunday, but they changed it to subbed when it started (to many a cheer).

...and a LOT more complaints.

From what I've seen, when in doubt, expect there to be reading involved.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.