reserving hotel room blocks

Guest Lind L. Tailor

Question

Guest Lind L. Tailor

when and how will i be able to reserve otakon room blocks at the special rate for otakon 2009, will i be able to reserve them as i leave this year on sunday, i'm staying at the marriot inner harbor and would probably be making reservations to stay there again next year, thanks...

• Answers 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Definitely wait until we announce the hotel rates. We've got something different in the works for the upcoming year and reserving a room early means that you likely won't get the Otakon rate.

How is it being unfair for people to be concientious and book as earlier as possible? That's just being prepared, not unfair. Everyone has the same chance as anyone else who is willing to keep an eye on the next years dates and whatever hotel they wish to stay at. It's just another part of the excitement of attending Otakon now.

I don't see several of the 2008 hotels, such as the Marriott Inner Harbor, THe Brookshire Suites and the Days Inn? Are they sold out already (especially the Days Inn)?

I may be the only one with this problem...But I can not seem to reserve more than 1 room using the system. I want/need (Depending on the party size at the moment.) 2 rooms at the hotel we will be staying, and one room is simply not going to cut it.

Help, please?

Thanks.

C.T.

My boyfriend booked a room at the new Hilton a few hours ago. Woo! This is our first time getting a hotel for Otakon, and we've been going for around 10 years now. I'm so happy!

Just a general reminder to all:

When a major downtown location of a major hotel chain (Marriott, Hilton, Holiday Inn, etc.), as opposed to an independent hotel somewhere out along the highway, says "sold out" a year in advance of a major event like Otakon, they DO NOT mean "every last room is spoken for". What they mean instead is "we are sold out of every room that we are willing to sell at this time/rate".

The exception to this is if, say, a major corporation were to walk up and basically "buy" the entire hotel. This happens for things like the Olympics or major political conventions. Otakon isn't that big yet.

Major hotels always play a delicate dancing game in reservations, setting aside rooms for "frequent stayers club" members, major clients like the pro sports teams, and even contracts with airlines or travel companies. It's likely that rooms will be shifted to the Otakon block, or at least made available to regular comers, later on. You may not get your desired rate or even hotel, but at the rate things are going we may be lucky just to not have to run shuttle buses from hotels in Columbia or BWI Airport!

Sweet. Did anyone else notice the hotel prices went down for a couple (Holiday Inn and Radisson)? =D

I just booked Holiday Inn. ^^ Now let's hope all goes well and I can make it next year!

But just a heads up to those who may have credit cards that expire before Otakon 09...all of my credit cards expire before July 09. And if your card expires before your checkout date, you can't reserve a room. >_< Luckily, my mom let me use hers, so once I get a new card, I'll just switch it to mine. It's kinda lame though if you want to reserve a room, but have credit cards that expire before July 2009....

But just a heads up to those who may have credit cards that expire before Otakon 09...all of my credit cards expire before July 09. And if your card expires before your checkout date, you can't reserve a room. >_< Luckily, my mom let me use hers, so once I get a new card, I'll just switch it to mine. It's kinda lame though if you want to reserve a room, but have credit cards that expire before July 2009....

I just used the new Otakon 'housing' system and was able to get a Hilton room Friday night and Saturday night. Since I live so nearby I never reserve Thursdays, so I'm guessing that's why I haven't had any trouble. There is always the small worry something will go amiss when you do it over the internet, but I got an acknowledgment code number and everything.

Really a load off my mind to have a room already, and I am quite excited to stay in the brand new hotel! I was admiring it all weekend.

Edited by snowcalico

I think this is TERRIBLE how apparently you can't specify one or two beds from this new reservation site, nor am I seemingly able to reserve more than one room. Poor choice on Otakon's part, going with this new system if you ask me... either that or whoever's running it really needs to work out all the kinks.

Wow, I can't believe this. For the 1st time I'm actually going to reserve my room for next year the day after the con. I'll be reserving my room in the morning when in house reservations is open so I can get the con rate.

I've already decided to stay at the Sheraton City Center again, I rather enjoyed my stay there this year & don't see any reason not to stay there next year as well. Besides, the only other hotel I'd have considered was the new Hilton, but since it's apparently booked solid already :D I think I'll just stick with the hotel I'm most familiar with in the Inner Harbor. This year was my 3rd time staying there for the con, stayed there in '05 & '06 when it was the Wyndham, & I was happy to find out this weekend that many of the staff have continued to work there. :P

<-- I've finally reached my 500th post! :D

Edited by Shineigami02
I'll be reserving my room in the morning when in house reservations is open so I can get the con rate.

Well, I went and visit 2, (3 if I included this one where I am, now but I'm leaving in the next hour or so), and made a few calls to a few more.

NONE of them are willing to give me an advance reservation at the Otakon rate. Others right out refused to give me the date, reguardless.

Well, I hope that when I make it home, I should have an updated credit card waiting in the mail. Also, I hope that there will be any roomss left by the time that I try and reserve, again. :)

Well, I was a little confused when I saw the new Otakon housing system, but I decided to use it and booked my room at the Holiday Inn as soon as I got home yesterday. I didn't really like that I had to include the names of the people staying with me. I listed the names of the people most likely to be able to come next year, but it's still nearly a year in advance, things come up and I will have that number of people, but I can't be positive it'll be the ones I listed. I'm hoping that that will not be an issue because when you book right through the hotel they don't ask questions like that.

Well, I was a little confused when I saw the new Otakon housing system, but I decided to use it and booked my room at the Holiday Inn as soon as I got home yesterday. I didn't really like that I had to include the names of the people staying with me. I listed the names of the people most likely to be able to come next year, but it's still nearly a year in advance, things come up and I will have that number of people, but I can't be positive it'll be the ones I listed. I'm hoping that that will not be an issue because when you book right through the hotel they don't ask questions like that.
Yes, if you book through the otakon website, you are getting the convention rate.

And those of you worrying about a confirmation, you get a confirmation both from the PassKey website AND in email. The email even explicity states: DO NOT CALL THE HOTEL JUST TO "BE SURE." Hotels don't get your reservation information until much closer to the convention.

Why can't I get Days Inn???

I called them and they told me I had to use that web site.. but the days inn is not on it... how do I get it?

you have to list the people staying wiht you ?

Yes, if you book through the otakon website, you are getting the convention rate.

And those of you worrying about a confirmation, you get a confirmation both from the PassKey website AND in email. The email even explicity states: DO NOT CALL THE HOTEL JUST TO "BE SURE." Hotels don't get your reservation information until much closer to the convention.

Thanks. ^^

Now the question is, does the PassKey confirmation number coincide with the confirmation number for the actual hotel reservation? Like if for some reason I needed to call the hotel directly and they ask for the confirmation number, would I be able to give them the PassKey confirmation number I was given?

Yes we are kinda set on the Days inn ok I wasn't sure but not beings confirmed with Otakno sounds like a plyable reason (Im' still so tired that I can't type correctly )... but can soemone tell me about canccleing? can you cancle a reservation with out an issus using this new system. I'm supposeing it says soemthing about that when you try to book right ? just incause I am asked to try another hotel

Yes we are kinda set on the Days inn ok I wasn't sure but not beings confirmed with Otakno sounds like a plyable reason (Im' still so tired that I can't type correctly )... but can soemone tell me about canccleing? can you cancle a reservation with out an issus using this new system. I'm supposeing it says soemthing about that when you try to book right ? just incause I am asked to try another hotel

One more question about the listing of the people staying in the hotel room. Does this mean that the hotel will be checking to make sure that the names of the people match when you check in? I'm concerned about that mostly because my friends staying likely will not all arrive at the same time and possibly not even all on the same day. This year all had planned to arrive on Thursday but due to unforeseen last minute circumstances, two were not able to arrive until separate times on Friday. I figured it likely had to do with people overfilling their rooms, but unless the hotel is actually checking everyone's names, which seems somewhat ridiculous and unlikely, then I don't see how this would really do anything to do discourage the situation.

One more question about the listing of the people staying in the hotel room. Does this mean that the hotel will be checking to make sure that the names of the people match when you check in? I'm concerned about that mostly because my friends staying likely will not all arrive at the same time and possibly not even all on the same day. This year all had planned to arrive on Thursday but due to unforeseen last minute circumstances, two were not able to arrive until separate times on Friday. I figured it likely had to do with people overfilling their rooms, but unless the hotel is actually checking everyone's names, which seems somewhat ridiculous and unlikely, then I don't see how this would really do anything to do discourage the situation.

I booked the Radisson Plaza Lord Baltimore last night...had so much fun this year and can't wait... was wondering though if anyone stayed there this year and would mind telling me how they liked it...or if they have heard good thing about it.