reserving hotel room blocks

Guest Lind L. Tailor

Question

Guest Lind L. Tailor

when and how will i be able to reserve otakon room blocks at the special rate for otakon 2009, will i be able to reserve them as i leave this year on sunday, i'm staying at the marriot inner harbor and would probably be making reservations to stay there again next year, thanks...

• Answers 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I got the 120 rate too, I was so surprised they still had rooms. it seems obsessive but checking twice a day or when on the computer and bored is not a bad idea!

I know the Holiday Inn (from staying there before) does not require payment until check-out (confirmed with a phone call to them last night), and the gentleman also told me they do NOT place a hold on funds.

They place the hold on funds when you check in, however.

I started out by reserving a room in the Mariott yesterday. However, once I found out that the Holiday Inn was available, I cancelled my Mariott reservation and booked a room at the Holiday Inn (prefer a hotel with outdoor parking, as my usual roommate drives a van).

someone from staff mind talking to the passkey people because i dont think this is normal and i don't feel like getting a hotel down two stations from the light rail because bacva screwed up something

I'll take a look at what's listed tomorrow night and see what I can find out.

Although I'm fairly certain that what you are seeing is correct so far.

Well I just switched over from radisson to days inn. now it's only cost 30-40 a night each (+tax) =D. I heard that its a good hotel, but just like I asked with the radisson... anyone mind confirming it? I mean one block away, and directly in sight of the BCC.. seems fine to me, but how about staff and how the rooms are?

Well I just switched over from radisson to days inn. now it's only cost 30-40 a night each (+tax) =D. I heard that its a good hotel, but just like I asked with the radisson... anyone mind confirming it? I mean one block away, and directly in sight of the BCC.. seems fine to me, but how about staff and how the rooms are?

I grabbed 4 nights at the Holiday Inns middle of last year for 189/night and had to take a bus at the last second but got here and loved it. I stayed thru the feedback, heard the dates for next year were July 17th-19th, but DIDN'T immediately make a reservation when I got back to the hotel... I was so depressed it was over I wasn't thinking straight heh heh heh...

But I got the reservations in the same hotel the next day for July 16th-20th but at 269/night for 3 nights and then 189/night for Sunday.

Can the housing system change my rate to that of Otakon or do I have to get lucky with the reservation system? This may have been answered already and I have been reading it up thru now but 3 pages with some lengthy posts I might have missed it somewhere.

BTW... was anyone else as amused as I was at the feedback when the women in D. Grayman cosplay complained about "long lines"?

I second this request. I mean, you have to walk across the street opposed to the Hilton, but for ~80 less a night, is there any maaajor reason other than name?

I booked a room for next year at the Days Inn, too. At first I was going to go with the Radisson, but then I saw the lowered rates and changed my mind. I wonder if the rooms will go really fast this year...

Here's what I hope happens:

As more rooms are booked & more contracts are signed people will book what they need - not just booking for the sake of booking. If they see a better rate they'll change over to a new hotel and cancel the older reservation...so that people who didn't get a room the first time through will be able to get one. That way it's fair to as many folks as possible. Good times.

I suspect that as soon as something is cancelled it's updated via PassKey and would show up on the site.

Does anyone know if it works that way?

Just called the Baltimore housing agency or whatever and got the Days Inn for $120 a night for Thursday - Sunday! YEAHHH

I barely made it though, in fact I think the lady said she just had a cancelation and that I was lucky to call at that time. So others may not be able to get rooms there. Always worth a try though.

Hilton's back on the radar. I just got my Thursday at the Hilton added to my reservation. Got Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sunday night for a total of $816, $926.16 after taxes. May or may not drop the Sunday to bring it down to $612 ($694.62 with taxes) after awhile. Need to see what my group desires, but I wanted to cover all bases.

No edit button, sorry.

Does anyone know WHERE exactly this supposed hallway linking the BCC and the Hilton will connect at? o_O Also if this will alter the convenience of getting into the con / pre-reg?

Basically what I'm asking is, where in the convention center does it connect?

Will we be allowed to use that to get in for Pre-Reg?

Will we be allowed to use that to get into the con?

Just checking, my friends have a reservation at the Days Inn also, and if the convenience isn't worth it...hmm...

I believe it connects, on the second or third floor at the end of the building where registration takes place.

The thing is guys it shows you reservations depending on how many people are in your room and what days you are staying. Try a multitude of different things to see if you can get different days, rates and hotels. Some hotels like Days Inn do not charge for extra people whereas some do, so the prices change depending on that variable.

I got a room at Days Inn yesterday (2 people) and emailed the email on the front page of the PassKey site to cancel my previous registration at the Radisson and they emailed me today with confirmation that my registration at the Radisson was canceled.

Not all hotels have rooms available on all days for the con rate from what I gathered looking at it and it changes real time when people cancel reservations and book rooms.

Edited by egyptianruin

I just tried the passkey system for 4 people July 16-19, what comes up? Lo & behold the Hilton, Rennaissance Harborplace & Sheraton Inner Harbor. Can't win with this system I swear. Personally, I don't like it. How am I supposed to know 11 months in advance precisely who is going to be in my room & why do they need all that info?

I'd much rather reserve my hotel room the old fashioned way, through the hotel. Besides, it gives me a much better guarantee that I'll get what I want if I deal with the hotel staff directly. I've never had much luck personally with online reservation systems, so if I can deal with the hotel directly, I will.

I've already been assured I will be able to get a room at my preferred hotel at the con rate as soon as the contract is signed. However why does it always seem to be the last one? :blink:

It may be 2 blocks away but I don't mind, I enjoy being so close yet so far from the BCC in a sense, plus I've stayed there 3 times before now with only minor complaints, why shouldn't I stay there again? It's familiar to me. :(

Edited by Shineigami02
I just tried the passkey system for 4 people July 16-19, what comes up? Lo & behold the Hilton, Rennaissance Harborplace & Sheraton Inner Harbor. Can't win with this system I swear. Personally, I don't like it. How am I supposed to know 11 months in advance precisely who is going to be in my room & why do they need all that info?

hey look, the hilton pops up if your reserving for friday and saturday night....add thursday, your left with the renassance...add monday, your told to go up a tree.

im finding it hard to belive they have no dates available for monday, is there some event we don't know about happening on monday?

hey look, the hilton pops up if your reserving for friday and saturday night....add thursday, your left with the renassance...add monday, your told to go up a tree.

im finding it hard to belive they have no dates available for monday, is there some event we don't know about happening on monday?

This is the first time Otakon has used the PassKey system for reservations. Perhaps there was a fault or two in communication between Otakon, the PassKey system, and the actual hotel. Who knows, but the bugs will be worked out over time, I'm sure.

Aren't Otakon rates usually for thurs, fri, sat, and sun nights? From what I can recall, monday night doesn't have otakon special rates.

Aren't Otakon rates usually for thurs, fri, sat, and sun nights? From what I can recall, monday night doesn't have otakon special rates.

Edited by evaunit01berserk

was able to get it for the holiday inn this year, plus a good number of people don't leave sunday, some got long drives that they rather not do on sunday

Ahh are you meaning staying over sunday night into monday? Or staying over monday night into tuesday? Because, from what I posted, I did say sun night should be feasible, but not monday night.

was able to get it for the holiday inn this year, plus a good number of people don't leave sunday, some got long drives that they rather not do on sunday

man, this sucks, because i can't get in contact with my crew this soon after the con......

is the Days Inn really sold out as of now?

and will Otakon still have a list of hotels like in the past years? or is this the only way to do it?

man, this sucks, because i can't get in contact with my crew this soon after the con......

and will Otakon still have a list of hotels like in the past years? or is this the only way to do it?

What the Admin has indicated (but I'm sure they'll be more than happy to speak for themselves) is that any hotels that they sign a contract with would be available through the PassKey site. By clicking on the link on the Otakon site you'd get all the available hotels for the dates you're looking for. Another advantage is as folks cancel reservations the rooms would go right back into the pool for everyone to pick from.

There is a number listed on the passkey site and others on the boards have mentioned that they were able to call & book over the phone.

Just trying to help...

From what I was sent by our hotel coordinator, it looks like all the rooms in the Days Inn on Fri, Sat, and Sun are spoken for.

This is pretty much the only way to do it. We will likely put up the list of hotels and room rates again once the site rollover is done, but if you want the Otakon rate, you will have to go through the PassKey System.

well, if this is true, then as of right now, there are no hotel rooms :) i really don't think they should've been released this early

The problem we run into is with individual hotel contracts for room blocks. For the most part once it's signed, unless we have a specific clause in there saying 'wait till day X', the hotel is free to publicize the rooms and the rates. For example, the Holiday Inn giving everyone who stayed there at the Otakon rate this year little notes telling them the dates they could book for 2009.

Needless to say we chose not to go that route as there were other concessions we wanted to work out with the hotels instead like lower room rates. Unfortunately, this means that unless we announce the hotels and dates, the hotels will do it for themselves/us. Leading to members being confused and complaining that hotel A is doing something different than hotel B, not to mention rumors about dates flying and many other odd complications.

That being said, if a delay in the announcement is more important to you guys, we can see what we can do for next year. Of course there will necessarily be a trade off for it.

The problem we run into is with individual hotel contracts for room blocks. For the most part once it's signed, unless we have a specific clause in there saying 'wait till day X', the hotel is free to publicize the rooms and the rates. For example, the Holiday Inn giving everyone who stayed there at the Otakon rate this year little notes telling them the dates they could book for 2009.

Needless to say we chose not to go that route as there were other concessions we wanted to work out with the hotels instead like lower room rates. Unfortunately, this means that unless we announce the hotels and dates, the hotels will do it for themselves/us. Leading to members being confused and complaining that hotel A is doing something different than hotel B, not to mention rumors about dates flying and many other odd complications.

That being said, if a delay in the announcement is more important to you guys, we can see what we can do for next year. Of course there will necessarily be a trade off for it.

well we'll see what happens :angry: hopefully i can stay at a hotel this year

ok, need this answered (preferable by a mod or someone of the like):

the Sheraton City Center (formerly Wyndham) hasn't been listed yet, right? 'cause if not, i'm going to try to wait for that and book that

thanks! biggrin.gif

Edited by ZGL
added double post. :)

I had happened to get onto the Otakon website Monday morning and saw that hotels were offering reservations, so I hopped in and got rooms at the Renaissance for me and everyone from my group this year. I was a little worried though when I called the hotel to check the reservations, until they figured out it was passkey and then they explained how that works. As I told them, "As long as it means I have the rooms I need, I really don't care how it's done." Although when I called passkey yesterday, I got another scare because then they couldn't find me in the system. Then they got a supervisor to clarify things. Apparantly because Otakon is so far off it doesn't show up in their database for some time. But, according to them, if I have the acknowledgement number then I have a room and nothing to worry about. So, after a couple scares, everything has worked out pretty darn good I think. Now it's just a matter of getting the money together over the next year.

Wow you guys suck, I can't reserve any good rooms now..or maybe the system is just f**ked up.

Well, if it's any comfort, the hotels themselves aren't full yet, so you could always get a room at the regular rate...for about another month or so.

Wow you guys suck, I can't reserve any good rooms now..or maybe the system is just f**ked up.

Well, if it's any comfort, the hotels themselves aren't full yet, so you could always get a room at the regular rate...for about another month or so.

Edited by ryjinx