Yeah, thanks Madhouse for the Opening Animation!!!!! It was great!! I loved all of the anime references from shows like (sailor moon, pokemon, cowboy bebop!!!) I hope to see the animation again tomorrow!!!

Yeah, as an animation major I was pretty impressed with the quality of this short. Me and my friend were arguing whether or not the animation was all original and created just for this event. He believes there were multiple composites of animation; I don't agree. Could someone prove me wrong or right?

I really enjoyed the animation, also. Madhouse did a great job on it. The only problem I had was they didn't list the animators and director of the film or even mention Madhouse on the credits. They did mention that it was done by Madhouse beforehand. Hopefully in the version that goes on youtube, they do give thanks to the animators of the piece.

Edited by tstidm1
Me and my friend were arguing whether or not the animation was all original and created just for this event. He believes there were multiple composites of animation; I don't agree. Could someone prove me wrong or right?

The Opening Animation was commissioned by us, from Madhouse. It's not composites.

Me and my friend were arguing whether or not the animation was all original and created just for this event. He believes there were multiple composites of animation; I don't agree. Could someone prove me wrong or right?

The Opening Animation was commissioned by us, from Madhouse. It's not composites.

THANK YOU!

It was mentioned multiple times that the opening was under contract to be shown only once a day, and wasn't allowed to be available to the public in anyway. The Con-Chair did state that they would try to work something out in attempt to get a version, whether lower quality, etc. out to the public via download, youtube, or something of that nature, but as of now, the only way to see it was at the panels it was shown at (Opening and Closing cerimonies, and if it was shown at an event on Saturday, I don't know which event that would be or was).

Edited by MonoTekETeA

I saw it at the Opening Ceremonies and it was great.

I doubt we will see this outside of Otakon because of the legal reasons mentioned. (Basically someone has to be compensated for their work for every performance/showing). I doubt a bootleg will get out. I took down my video camera, shut it off, and put it in my bag during the showing. It wouldn't have come out at all good that way, so I hope no one else tried to video the screen at any of the showings.

Was another animation done at another Otakon?

It may be a legal nightmare, but it would be great if Otakon could someday release a dvd of material.

I've seen some of Gainax's anime shorts for a few Japanese con's but were they ever officially released?

I was working during the opening ceremonies, so I got to see this during the closing ceremony, instead. It was fantastic! I laughed out loud through the whole thing, and it was really amazing how close it made me feel to the whole Otakon community. Major love for Madhouse!

Between the manhole covers, BCC animation and the crab in Eva Unit #1's mouth, I thought that the animation short was hilarious but also paid a tribute to Baltimore as a longtime home of Otakon.

Evangelion go berserk!!!

Yea, it was good stuff. It was so jammed full of references that watching it once like that is not enough >_<

Yeah!

I need to see it again!

I did not understand the whole manhole cover thing. i though they were just being used as weapons hahaha. but it was still an AWESOME animation

Toxic waste in the sewers. The gases were expanding and the manhole covers were exploding OFF of the street. There were fires, and they opened the hydrants at night to try to flush the sewer system out.

No, we didn't arrange for it. But can you think of a better convention for it to have happened with?

THANK YOU!

Go to Otakon' website, under Otakon Stuff, and look for Otakon Opening Animation. The whole tale is there about how this came to be. All of the ideas came from our staff, as a series of gags.

As we mentioned at OC, this is actually the SECOND time we've had an original opening animation. The previous was done by Chris Ochs, aka the Voice of Otakon, years ago.

But this one was the first time we've got a Japanese studio to make one for us.

Unfortunately, there are some legal issues involved due to difference in parody law between here and Japan, and we're trying to sort those out so we can host this somewhere permanently. All those cool character cameos are fine under US law, but there are some kinks to work out from the Japanese side.

We ask you to be patient; better to have to wait a bit and get the rights to show everything, than to rush it out and risk damaging our relationships with various animation industry partners, -- or our ability to do another original opening animation next year.

As the producer --- OMG I AM AN ANIME PRODUCER NOW TECHNICALLY -- and the guy who pushed for this for about three years until it actually happened, it was very difficult for me to speak for a little while at Opening Ceremonies. I'm glad that everyone liked it.

I loved seeing Kenshin blow up a gundam xDDD

Please note that that was our mascot, Hiroshi-kun, *cosplaying* as Kenshin (scar was on wrong side), and Hiroko-chan was cosplaying as Sailor Moon. Which got an appreciative giggle from the character designer from SM, who was in the audience. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.