Issues with the escalators?

Question

I'm posting here if I notice that all the escalators are not turn on which is a hard for those trying to walk up and down stairs, but my question or concern would be is that earlier day just before 1pm (I was on my why to my panel room to run a panel room) is that I lost my footing on the stairs and fell down them and almost broke something but lucky I did not. Some of the Baltimore Convention Center staff came over to help which I was thankful that and at the time I felt ok, but was a little out of it....

Now I have a hugh busie on my left leg and left foot feels funny, I was was wondering for Saturday and Sunday if I would be to get an elevator access pass since right now its getting very hard to climb up the stairs etc. For those who are wondering I'll be ok. If I'm able to the elevator access pass (sticker) who can I talk to tomorrow... like some one in reg.?

thanks so much!

~Lilly-chan (Meg Tyler- Artist Alley Table S10)

16 answers to this question

I'm not staff, but I don't know if any staff are looking at the boards this weekend.

The web site says,

Those with limited mobility may have difficulty navigating the BCC, as it is an older building and accessibility isn't always obvious. We make every reasonable effort to accommodate people with such disabilities, and reserve elevators and special access seating for most events. This year, we're asking those members who need wheelchair or similar access to stop by our registration area and obtain a sticker, which will grant access to elevators and certain staff-only access points. Not only will the sticker make it easier for volunteers to identify you as someone who should be given access, but it'll help us see how many of our members require such assistance and plan accordingly.

As far as I know, although I am not staff, escalators get turned off because they just can't handle the amount of foot traffic that Otakon has. That's typical of many escalators in general. They would most likely break down within hours of the con opening. I myself have a hard time with stairs but I didn't have any problems using the elevators through out the convention center.

The basic issue, I believe, is explained somewhere in the program book. The BCC staff basically doesn't turn on the escalators at the highest traffic points/times (such as the Pratt Street Lobby) because they WILL shut down within minutes. As explained to me by the head of the BCC a couple years ago, a safety feature shuts down the escalators if the handrail starts moving faster/slower than the steps, and a multitude of otaku simply leaning on the rails as they go up/down will make that happen.

This year, more than ever, I saw the BCC staff playing a delicate juggling game of seeing how many of the escalators they could keep moving--in other words, they spent two days TRYING to keep them running, and succeeded much better than past years!

I will confess the best joke I heard all weekend was when I loudly remarked to a staffer friend "Ohmigosh, look, [name], working escalators first thing Friday morning, I gotta get a picture of this!" He replied in semi-serious tones as I pointed the camera, "QUIET, you fool!!!! Now everyone will want one!!!!!" :D

I talked to my friend about the escalators...we both thought that maybe they should be turned off during the day, when people have energy, and as it gets later through the con, turn them on when people's legs start to get tired (if they cant stay on all day that is)

Edited by Shadaki

This is why they turn off escalators

Now I have a hugh busie on my left leg and left foot feels funny, I was was wondering for Saturday and Sunday if I would be to get an elevator access pass since right now its getting very hard to climb up the stairs etc. For those who are wondering I'll be ok. If I'm able to the elevator access pass (sticker) who can I talk to tomorrow... like some one in reg.?

This is why we have a dedicated special needs desk (at the info desk I believe)

It was funny to listen to people complain about using the stairs. THEY ARE EXCERSISE!!!! I kno you have a big cosplay alfit on but deal with it. I think people are so lazy they cant use the stairs. Just rest on a seat or something. I used the stairs my whole time i was there. I kinda understand the fact for the bigger people cause they need to rest but all the people that arnt need to walk!

It was funny to listen to people complain about using the stairs. THEY ARE EXCERSISE!!!! I kno you have a big cosplay alfit on but deal with it. I think people are so lazy they cant use the stairs. Just rest on a seat or something. I used the stairs my whole time i was there. I kinda understand the fact for the bigger people cause they need to rest but all the people that arnt need to walk!

I believe the reason escalators are turned off by the BCC on purpose is that they can't handle the volume of traffic otakon throws at it. To avoid safety scenarios they are turned off at strategic locations.

If you have trouble using the stairs, please see the special needs desk in the future where they can help your mobility throughout the con.

Also of note, while ginormous cosplay is always awesome to look at, you practically immobilize yourself in a place like the BCC.

Um. No. We have this discussion every year. You can find them in the archives. I don't think the BCC staff (who shut off the escalators) know what happened in Japan.

The escalators can't handle the traffic. Every time somebody pulls up on the rubber handrail it jams the escalator and they stop. So far as I know this year many of them were just not turned on at all any time.

That's an interesting idea about the evening instead of morning.

The escalators can't handle the traffic. Every time somebody pulls up on the rubber handrail it jams the escalator and they stop. So far as I know this year many of them were just not turned on at all any time.

That's an interesting idea about the evening instead of morning.

Edited by Shadaki
[

EDIT: As a personal note, I like using the stairs. I can get where I want to be faster :(

And we get in better shape!

Okay, guys, the escalators have appeared on the FAQ. Can we keep this post to brainstorming some ideas for correcting the issue in the future?

Otherwise I'll have to lock it up.

Even silly ideas are welcome, as we all need to relax and look at the fun side.

How about providing jumping platforms like in the different games that enable us to reach a different level?

I would like to see at least one of the exits to the mid level from the Dealers room have an escalator to them. I agree on having more escalators open would be a good thing. The one that should never be opened (except maybe for Sunday) is the Pratt Street escalator to the third floor. It is a line control issue. Have Escalators going one direction instead of both directions like the escalator at the 350 end of the third floor be a down escalator only. The only place people should be going to is the Dealer's room.