Why...

Question

Why does the Dealer's Hall close so early Saturday? I mean, 6 PM? What the hell? We had plans set out to go to the Dealer's Hall before the last of the Lucky Star showing at 6, only to find out that the place closed down! I mean, we should've looked at the schedule, but still... you'd think Dealers would want to sell stuff late, and get everyone buying.

6 answers to this question

Why does the Dealer's Hall close so early Saturday? I mean, 6 PM? What the hell? We had plans set out to go to the Dealer's Hall before the last of the Lucky Star showing at 6, only to find out that the place closed down! I mean, we should've looked at the schedule, but still... you'd think Dealers would want to sell stuff late, and get everyone buying.

Don't quote me on this, but I was told it has something to with 8-hour shifts for the people who work the dealer's booths, and so the dealers and their workers have time in the evenings to eat dinner and have a bit of time to themselves. This is NOT an official staff answer, this is just what I heard.

I'd have thought the question wouldn't be why do the dealers close so early, but more why are the artists open so late?

All the reasons that get given to the "why do dealers close early?" should apply to the artists as well...

I'd have thought the question wouldn't be why do the dealers close so early, but more why are the artists open so late?

All the reasons that get given to the "why do dealers close early?" should apply to the artists as well...

No, no, no.

The answer is that Dealers need the downtime. They spend a very long day setting up before you get there, they have to restock and resupply everything, count out money and deposit it, feed their staff, and get some rest. Many of them provide rooms for their staff and feed them -- it's as costly for them as it is for you -- so paying overtime eats into profits. Staying open later simply doesn't pay for most of them.

So when they close up and leave, they eat, go see the Masquerade, etc. like other convention members.

We've had these same hours for a decade or so -- why is it suddenly so surprising this year?

I can't really say anything for the Dealers Room, but I know that things get very tiring very quickly down in the Artist's Alley. I was down there helping out a friend (Kroze from Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series) for about a half hour, and it gets really tiring repeating the same information time after time, keeping a positive disposition, and doing the whole picture/autograph thing. Like I said, I spent around 30 minutes down there, then had to get back up to Club Otaku, but I can't imagine what it's like doing that all day. Also, I know for a fact that the dealer's get there really early, because as we first got into the con center at 7am to set up Club Otaku, I saw dealer's walking past heading down to set up as well. So yeah, they had some very long hours, and like to check out some of the events, too...