Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

djmakinmoves

Just a little "Be carefull" for people next year.

Friday and Sat nite me and my girl had some bad issues leaving the convention center..

Friday nite we were followed by a cracked out guy with his hand in the front of his pant with his shirt over it for 4 blocks. i didnt notice him until my girl said sumthing and for the corner of my eye i saw the dude stop when we stopped and started hangin back but started following again when we started moving. >> we stopped into the nice hotel to tell the manager or at least have someone walk outside with us or give us a place to chill for a min. >>> we ended up taking a cab 4 blocks to the garage because we felt unsafe.

Sat nite round the same time, even closer to the convention with bike cops ONLY in front of the convention, we got parkin in the garage like 1 block from Otakon. Me and my girl we walking down the street and this beat up explorer with 4 scary thugs drove up next to us and started pacing us so we ran to a group we saw ahead.

We fine and Safe. Just telling all of u to keep your wits about. Even if its a few blocks to the car.

Much love

Scottie Makin Moves :)

It always goes without saying to be on your guard in the city. Especially after dark. Walk in groups, don't get distracted by your cell phone or conversations with friends, don't dress in a scandalous or enticing fashion, keep valuables and wares concealed, and always be observant of your surroundings.

Yeah, a similar thing happened to my friend and I. Except this happened in the middle of the day. A guy kept on following us and making suggestive comments until we reached the convention center. I'm seriously thinking of bringing pepper spray with me next year.

Just curious... when you said "nite", what time was it? Was it way past midnight?

Wow, if it was around midnight, that's pretty bad... I have to say I never had experiences like this (I'm usually back to the hotel by about 11:30), but hopefully things like this will not continue...

I was really nervous about that. On Friday, most of my friends had gone back and it was late, but the people at the information desk mentioned sometimes people congregate there to find others to walk back with. I ended up leaving the BCC to find tons of people heading in all directions, so I did all right.

It would be cool if we could work out something organized, even amongst ourselves so that people can form groups and walk back together.

On Friday evening (7:00PM) when I was walking to the BCC from the hotel (Holiday Inn) this random homeless man came up to me (from behind an alley) and asked for money. I looked right at him, and just said ("no sorry.") He then proceeded to curse me out, and call the "cartoon convention" (his words) all these vulgarities. I just kept walking, and he stopped, and went onto these other people who were cosplaying, and it seemed to be the same story he pulled on them. I did however tell the police officers on the motorbikes, and they just said "OK". I don't think they did anything...

First time this ever happen to me, during Otakon...

On Friday evening (7:00PM) when I was walking to the BCC from the hotel (Holiday Inn) this random homeless man came up to me (from behind an alley) and asked for money. I looked right at him, and just said ("no sorry.") He then proceeded to curse me out, and call the "cartoon convention" (his words) all these vulgarities. I just kept walking, and he stopped, and went onto these other people who were cosplaying, and it seemed to be the same story he pulled on them. I did however tell the police officers on the motorbikes, and they just said "OK". I don't think they did anything...

Next time just don't say anything to them. I'm in Baltimore city quite often, and if you just ignore them 99% of time they just go on to the next person. If you say anything, make eye contact, etc they're more likely to continue on or say something to you. I know it sounds horrible, and I know it goes against everything your mother taught you about being polite, but just pretend they don't exist, continue a conversation with whoever you're walking with, keep looking forwards, and just pretend not to notice them. The police honestly don't care, they have more important things to worry about than you getting cussed out by a homeless man.

We were only asked for money twice, during the day, once by some guy who was clearly on something, and another time by someone who genuinely looked like he needed a hand. I know some of you may be all "STFU You can't tell", but you could with this dude. Plus I know who most of the homeless are in this town. ... :(

We were only asked for money twice, during the day, once by some guy who was clearly on something, and another time by someone who genuinely looked like he needed a hand. I know some of you may be all "STFU You can't tell", but you could with this dude. Plus I know who most of the homeless are in this town. ... :(

Next time just don't say anything to them. I'm in Baltimore city quite often, and if you just ignore them 99% of time they just go on to the next person. If you say anything, make eye contact, etc they're more likely to continue on or say something to you. I know it sounds horrible, and I know it goes against everything your mother taught you about being polite, but just pretend they don't exist, continue a conversation with whoever you're walking with, keep looking forwards, and just pretend not to notice them. The police honestly don't care, they have more important things to worry about than you getting cussed out by a homeless man.

We were only asked for money twice, during the day, once by some guy who was clearly on something, and another time by someone who genuinely looked like he needed a hand. I know some of you may be all "STFU You can't tell", but you could with this dude. Plus I know who most of the homeless are in this town. ... :blink:

It would be cool if we could work out something organized, even amongst ourselves so that people can form groups and walk back together.
I've seen this organized at some game conventions. They have a designated meet up place where people wait for others who are walking to the same hotel. The conventions state that they make no claims about safety so their off the hook for any liability.

Maybe Otakon could do the same next year?

We got asked for money by this lady with a kid and a nice bag. Of course my friends gave her money. I didnt. I do like the idea about the food. Ill just bring gram bars or something.

We didnt have any probs an nite though. I was out of the covention center like every around 1am. I didnt remember the curfew hour. we didnt have any thing wrong happin. We just walked out of the center and went straight to our hotel.

This would be a totally awesome idea, I just don't know if there would be enough staff to do it. And I don't think gofers could do it because of liability issues.

So, hopefully we have tons of people volunteer for next year and then we can pull this off!

I've seen this organized at some game conventions. They have a designated meet up place where people wait for others who are walking to the same hotel. The conventions state that they make no claims about safety so their off the hook for any liability.

Maybe Otakon could do the same next year?

You don't need a gofer, just put the signs, with the names of the hotels, on a stand along with a note letting people know that this is where to gather to walk back to the hotel. (Otakon can also add their disclaimer notice to these signs.)

man sounds like most of you got off pretty light me and a friend of mine actually had some guy tell us he had 2 extra tickets to the con lol

but i guess none of you heard about the murder that happened outside of the mariner arena me and a friend heard something about it and walked out of the sheraton baltimore city center and sure enough there was a bench covered in blood

while we were looking at it some other kid from the con was telling us one year he saw someone getting drug by a car with the driver yelling "how do you like me now"

but people dont let something like this discourage you theres a few simple tips when dealing with city people i spent most of my time growing up in the bad areas of philly and all you have to do is

1. dont draw attention to your self

2. ignore the homeless people they will leave you alone

3. kindness is an awesome thing but sometimes people will use your kindness against you and as soon as they see you have money theyre sticking you up

4. traveling in groups is always the best way to go theres strength in numbers

5. if you have to walk by your self make it look like your talking on your cell phone people wont interupt you and its faster if you have to call 911

6. some self defence mechanism is always nice but you have to make sure its legal pepper spray is legal as far as i know everywhere (look for the foam kind it sticks to your attackers face and they cant rub it off) i personally carry a small pocket knife

the city is a dangerous place and alot of messed up stuff happens but dont let it stop you from having a good time just make sure you know all of your suroundings and if all else fails find a big person you dont know from the con and make friends with them

this reminds me when my friends and I were in the Jam Project concert line and some drunk guy kept trying to touch us :P

eh?

hmm..... nothing happened to me.

me and 1 friend (both girls) walked it only on friday though.

We really didn't even SEE anyone on our route back to our hotel.

The only thing that even happened was that, at one point we thought there was someone behind us, but then realized it was a father and son jogging group with some change in their pockets who quickly went by us.

I already was about to assume a stance which would lend itself better to more force behind my punch....

But we took the taxi the other times.

I oddly didn't see much in the way of homeless people this year either.

I was at the courtyard by mariott, out in the boondocks of convention hotels.

There were a lot more by the closer hotels in years past.

I wonder if there's some corelation?

For part of the weekend, I was staying at the Sheraton so if I saw a group walking in that direction, I walked behind them.

I think it was Thurs or Fri night and a whole HUGE crowd of people were congregated in that area between the Radisson and the Sheraton...it creeped me out since I didn't know what was going on so I like speed walked to the hotel ^^;.

yes you def have to be careful i was approached 3 times on sunday at the pratt street entrance by various scammers looking for money one was some idiots who wanted to "give" me a comic IF i gave them money and some other guy was pretending to be deft another kid i dunno what he wanted but he had an eye on my baggage that i didn't like so you really have to becareful even IN a crowded area as the pratt street are was super crowded. I even had some guy approach me with something that sounded like a scam inside the convention center, always be wary of strangers no matter if they're attendees or what.

Thankfully, nothing too bad happened to me this year, & i had an extremely short walk to & from hotel & con (was at the Days Inn), & nothing happened both times i went to CVS. I generally tell the people asking for money that i don't have any, whether i do or not, because one never knows if they are poor to begin with. I was a little paranoid, being downtown & all, but one gets crazies where i have walked frequently for the past five years, & most of the time while listening to music. I know this probably sounds hysterically ridiculous, but i think that probably adopting a sort of hard demeanor & a "i'm going somewhere, stay out of my way" kind of stride may be helpful...? I don't know. It's kind of like how puffer fish blow themselves up whenever they feel threatened: if you feel like something bad might happen, you puff yourself up & try to give off the appearance that you could kick their arse or that they should leave you alone.

And when one is confronted by jerks who think it's ok to fondle or make one feel awkward, if you feel it's safe to tell them to sod off (like there's people around you in line or something), tell them to sod off. Something happened to me once where i just told the guy in the hardest voice possible, "Excuse me, but that is unacceptable" right off the top of my head, & he left.

Just my two cents. Especially since i'm very rarely ever downtown. I got really lucky, especially with the two ladies who helped me out with me being on the lightrail for the first time & all.

this is very good advice.... everyone at otakon who wanders the area around the con should follow this.

the beggers are attracted to begging the cosplayers because their different from the people they normally beg plus they figure that you have a ton of money. just ignore them - a lot of them aren't even 'homeless' [but that's a different story.]

as far as 'the scary people/thugs' - well when you wander around after midnight in a city in cosplay that shouldnt be a suprise. it's not just baltimore, similar things would happen in any city. i am thankful that nothing happened to you or anything else but just keep this in mind next time........... and you dont need pepper spray - just good judgement and eyes behind your head

Is it getting worse??? I feel like I see more 'scammers' asking for money on sunday than lastyear... like they know we are here and so they target us...

as for the creapy people I had one incodent years ago... but nothing else. thought I think it would be nice to have more police preasance outside the con I actuly didn't see one all weekend except for the ones on the Segways down on the the harber

One year I had some drug dealer trying to convince me to purchase some drugs from him to help out the poor children in Africa and people asking me for change, but I thought that the city inhabitants behaved much better this year than previously.

I had to end up walking in some pretty questionable areas, aka the sex district areas too, but I felt pretty safe overall.

Maybe they don't bother with a guy dressed in leather, but the only baltimore folk that say anything to me are the non homeless.

I remember in 2007 I decided to walk to my hotel room (tremont) without changing into my normal clothes. It was quite the adventure at 10pm :(

Baltimore at Night *Shivers* I've lived here my entire life, it's not something you get used to.

Groups are your friends and safe havens, relatively.

Those 'Scammers' with the 'comics'...

They weren't Scammers.

They were members of a totally green commune.

They travel to festivals to spread the word.

Basically, the world is messed up, we can do something to change it, but most of us don't.

I got a magazine, and a bumper sticker...

For a box of pocky.

They weren't looking to scam anyone. Just to recover printing/travel costs.

DONATION. Not 'please give us money'...

Anyways.

Yeah, back to topic.

My advice: Stop looking at big cities as hostile warzones, realize EVERYONE in them is human, and...

ignore the homeless, don't even give food. Some of them have mental issues.

Ignore people yelling at you. It gives them reason to harass other people if you respond.

And always, guys... STICK WITH A GROUP.

I made a pretty big mistake that had the potential to be horrible, I think..

On Sunday morning, my friend and I were walking through the inner harbour to get to the convention center, and I stopped at a bench area to fix part of my costume and, being the dumb person I am, I was sitting there with my backpack next to me, wide open, and was just fiddling with my shoe.

Well next thing I know this homeless man came up, and I figured he was a little not-right-in-the-head, he came over and said "Hi" and went to shake my hand.

I didn't know what to do! So I let him grasp three of my fingers and gave a weak little handshake.

Our moms finally came over and were like "Come on we gotta keep walking!" and then I got scolded for

1) Who knows where that guys hands may have been? Not anywhere nice...

2) Leaving my bag open right next to me... especially if he went to shake my hand, he could have just grabbed my bag (with $250, my phone, camera, and iPod) and ran....

I'm still a little terrified that it could have skipped my mind to keep a more watchful eye on my bag... it's sad, because you don't want to think that there's no one in the city you can trust, and I'm sure there must be some genuinely nice homeless people, but I guess you can never be too careful...especially since my I'm just seventeen and my friend is only fifteen.

The only problem I had other than that was the drunk Oriole's fans Friday night! They were so weird. :D

wow. im actually glad i posted this topic. it seems like im not the only one. I do have street smarts and know what the right and wrong things are to do in a city such as this. I think the best idea was posted at the top. Signs and group walking meet ups is a great plan. very good. Im all about it and will help organize it too. You are def less likely to even get bothered in a group. Nothing wrong with being extra safe. Thanks for all of the replies. Ive read them all so far. cheers

You don't need a gofer, just put the signs, with the names of the hotels, on a stand along with a note letting people know that this is where to gather to walk back to the hotel. (Otakon can also add their disclaimer notice to these signs.)

:lol:

1) I don't know how many people had to take cabs, but it seemed like many of em liked to try and take much longer routes and I knew the quickest routes for them to take. For example one cab driver took us to an east version of a street instead of west insisting it was right... a 10-15 block ride with this years rates on cabs was generally $6-9 and keep in mind time and distance both factor the price..traffic will cost you more keep in min.

2) the homeless people are either fakes, real, or crazy so try to ignore them, because it doesnt lead to good places.

3) Travel in groups and if you come alone you can always meet up with people on here that have a group... I knwo for a fact a good majority of people wouldn't mind walking an extra block or atleast walking as far as they are going... any kind of extra safty helps.

4) Girls... with a good deal of cosplays I saw this weekend... if you wear something equal or less then a bathing suit..bring some shorts and make sure you have other people walking with you. Although it's not your fault for the moronic perverts trying to get their fix.. a pair of shorts and a t-shirt goes a long way with preventing that from happening to you.

5) TRAVEL IN GROUPS. This goes for late night travel ANYWHERE at anytime during the year not just Otakon. There were roughly 26,000 people there this weekend with the same general interests.. groups are easier then you think to find. Make a sign with which hotel something like "Looking for _________ Hotel walking group" I'm sure within 10-12 minutes somone will tell you to join their group epically if you seem like a social butterfly and even if you dont it's 1 extra person to share stories and intrests with so people if you see someone next year with one of these signs... make a friend and invite them, because you never know how well some people may be able to get along...and if ya don't get along oh well it was one night ..get on with life... no big lost as in you walked alone and something did happen. If you see others with the same sign...walk with them.

I hope some of this helps and I realize some is just repeated off what many have said. :excl:

EDIT: If you do make a hotel gathering sign make sure it folds up nice and neat somewhere and only display it outside when your ready to leave...too many signs may leave to confusion and the convention does have a strict policy on signs.

I only got stopped once this year while heading to 7-11 before going back to our hotel. We made the mistake of stopping when a lady asked us a question. Right when she asked, "Do you live in Baltimore?" I knew she was going to ask for money--and voila, she asked for money to pay for a bus ticket.

A simple, "Sorry, we don't carry cash." works wonders and within moments we were on our way again. We did have cash on us, yeah, but in this age of cards, a lot of people don't carry any cash, so it's a good thing to fall back on if someone asks you for money.

I only got stopped once this year while heading to 7-11 before going back to our hotel. We made the mistake of stopping when a lady asked us a question. Right when she asked, "Do you live in Baltimore?" I knew she was going to ask for money--and voila, she asked for money to pay for a bus ticket.

A simple, "Sorry, we don't carry cash." works wonders and within moments we were on our way again. We did have cash on us, yeah, but in this age of cards, a lot of people don't carry any cash, so it's a good thing to fall back on if someone asks you for money.

me and my friend had a pretty bad experience this year in baltimore. We were staying at the radisson hotel and on sat night when we where in the panel "dub actors after dark" we got a call from friends mom saying there was a riot outside our hotel and some people were missing. This FREAKED us out. If anyone was wondering why there was like a million police cars and helicopters with spotlights it was because some homeless or drug dude started punching wedding members from our hotel and they were lookin for the guy. then after that a guy that had stab wounds on his arm asked more con-goers from our hotel for money when he was dripping with blood. The blood wasnt his and they were looking for another guy that they thought was dead. This was around 12-1am

The next day on the sidewalk we found a large trail of blood, which was very creepy. We also got asked at least 5 times or more for money. Thank god our guy friend walked us home and everything. Yikes!!!! But it def works when you just ignore them, like they dont exist. It was def worse than last year

Wow... I'm so glad my friend and I left the convention center early multiple times before dark! I knew for certain the area was pretty dangerous at night, but I didn't know to that extent. Only time we left out at night was to get something to eat, but we had a group of six people, so we were fine. Five girls, and the guy with us was in the military, so we wouldn't have had any problems. Although along the way another con-goer started following us, making conversation and wanting to join us for dinner... he was actually starting to make me really uncomfortable, and I was the youngest of the group. Our leader fell back behind us when the guy broke off temporarily, but we atleast made it to the restaurant and was seated before he came to us again, so he ended up joining someone else. I'm sure he meant no harm, but he was making me uncomfortable.

Other than that, my friend and I were only asked for money once while we were walking around around 1 PM on Saturday, but I told him "Sorry, we can't today." and he left us alone.

I might be extremely paranoid next year now because of all of this though... O_O;

Yeah, I have been going to Otakon since 2003 and the bums are always an issue. The majority of them won't bother you if you just say you don't have any cash or anything, but every once in a while you get a crazy one. I remember one year some bum just randomly put some kind of birthday hat on my friend and started following us. It was really wierd.

Also, some advice from me. If you can avoid it, don't wear sports jerseys from an outside team as this is prime reason for bums to give you as issue. I am from the Philadelphia area and I wore my Phillies jersey on Thursday (didn't wear it the other days since I was cosplaying) and I got bothered by bums all day because of it, lol.

this reminds me when my friends and I were in the Jam Project concert line and some drunk guy kept trying to touch us :blink:

Oh ya I remember that dude. The first dude was so clearly drunk and he was carrying some kind of beer or liquor and started pestering the group at the front of the row (I know because I was in that group). He kept pestering you and like grabbed your convention booklet and crumpled it or something. Even the line staff couldn't do anything about him - I think they should have been more forceful about getting rid of that guy.

And later on another dude came and just kinda stood there and watched after asking the line staff a couple questions. Very strange.

He eventually got bored and left.

Actually he kept asking my friend "What's that?" it was a friggn empty Dunken Donut bag.. So interesting! He crumpled it up and gave it back to my friend. -.-;; He kept trying to touch my back but I turned around and ignored him. Then he tried touching the side of my friend and she was getting a bit peeved off so he moved on to his next victim. Tall, slim, and long haired.. he grabbed "her" hips and once "she" turned around, she turned out to be a he lmao. x: That drunk guy had problems.. he even cussed out the staff ><

Wow, I really thought I was the only one with bum problems.

This year I was lucky, but previous years I've been pestered. One guy even tried to start an arguement. I let him have the first and last words, then walked away. :)

My tip is to get a room @ the Days Inn (Which was sold out the first 3 hours it was available for 2009). It's a minimal walking distance with a well lit and always populated area. (the sports bar / burger place is always crowded. Bums hate crowds and tend to stay away from food places.)

I have a few randomly awesome bum moments:

1. Thursday night we went to check out Inner Harbor and saw a great street performer. On our way back my friend and I had a bum start following us. When we took notice to him he politely asked us if we liked freestyle rap. My friend being a major fan of rap said yes. He then proceeded to do a 5 min. freestyle about how he respected us and kindly asked for some money. My friend being the smart one decided to reply with a freestyle rap about how he would if he could but he was broke and gave the guy a good amount of compliments on his freestyling. He nodded, said thank you, and went on his way.

2. We were walking back to the hotel saturday night and a guy with a cart walking ahead of us turned around. He then proceeded to ask us if we wanted to buy a turtle. He had a little carry case aquarium where he had two turtles in it. My friend and I politely refused and kept walking. When we turned a different direction from him, we started cracking up.

I usually don't mind giving a bum with an original idea like that the change in my pocket, but my first instinct if I have the money is to get them a small item (sandwich, bottle of water or something of the sort) or ask them if they smoke. Most bums won't question you any further if you give them a cigarette. And the ones who don't smoke are more than likely the ones who actually need the money cause they wont waste it on a pack of smokes.

BTW - Did anyone else see that gang of kids on the dirtbikes saturday after the rave? It was hilarious, but I would have been scared as hell if any of them had gotten closer than they were. I saw one of them nearly get rear ended by a truck.

BTW - Did anyone else see that gang of kids on the dirtbikes saturday after the rave? It was hilarious, but I would have been scared as hell if any of them had gotten closer than they were. I saw one of them nearly get rear ended by a truck.

If that is the gang of kids who were terrorizing people in the evening/night time around Mt. Vernon Place I would suggest being wary and not staying around them. There were numerous problems with a certain group who drove dirt bikes in Baltimore City through Mt. Vernon and Orleans St. last year and I am not aware whether they were apprehended or not and some people were hurt during supposed gang initiations.

but people dont let something like this discourage you theres a few simple tips when dealing with city people i spent most of my time growing up in the bad areas of philly and all you have to do is

1. dont draw attention to your self

I _thought_ I heard dirtbikes on Saturday night, but I was like, no way, I have to be wrong. :) They must be more talented than I am, because I can't ride on pavement with dirt tires to save my life..

As for bums, I had no problem this year. When I was walking back from the staff dinner with a group, we did get asked for money, but the guy left us alone when we ignored him, so no big deal. It helped that we were in a group of about 6 with some men with us, I think.