Edo Sushi Aftermath

Unfortunately we had a turnout of only 15 people (shame on everybody who RSVP'd and never came) as we were there till past 6. It was a little embarrasing as Otakon actually sent a professional photographer to take a picture of the meetup, and there were only about 6 people there when he came. I also had to apologize to the resteraunt for putting aside room and enough tables for 40 people. Next time, if you want to RSVP for the meetup, make sure you actually show up.

To all of those that did show up, it was an immense pleasure and I hope to see you again next year. I hope we have a better turnout next time.

Hope everyone had fun at Otakon.

Sorry to hear about the Edo Sushi trip.

At least you had people show up...the singles meetup on Friday only had a turnout of...one person...apparanty lol.

Unfortunately we had a turnout of only 15 people (shame on everybody who RSVP'd and never came) as we were there till past 6. It was a little embarrasing as Otakon actually sent a professional photographer to take a picture of the meetup, and there were only about 6 people there when he came. I also had to apologize to the resteraunt for putting aside room and enough tables for 40 people. Next time, if you want to RSVP for the meetup, make sure you actually show up.

To all of those that did show up, it was an immense pleasure and I hope to see you again next year. I hope we have a better turnout next time.

Hope everyone had fun at Otakon.

Edited by NOTanOTAKU
I wanted to go. ^_^ But my flight got delayed 2 hours and then my plane was grounded for 4 hours so by the time I arrived in Baltimore, it was past 7:00. (I don't think I ever want to fly again.)
Edited by lambogirl

Is it possible to move the Edo Sushi meet up for next year from Thursday to Friday/Saturday? That way, more people can be ready and able to go to the meetup.

Yeah.....that wouldn't really work, because then people would have photoshoots,panels, concerts, meetup with friends, and many other various activities to go to. That's why the "singles" meetup really didnt work.

The point of the Edo Sushi meetup is to hang out the day before the convention and meet new people. I would consider moving it ahead an hour or two next year though (around 5 or 6)

Edited by Shiro420

If you are going to do the meet up on Thursdays, perhaps the time should be somewhere around 7:30-8pm?

Most of time earlier than that people are in the pre-reg line/getting their badges/still getting into Baltimore which may have factored into this year's shortage of people who showed.

If you are going to do the meet up on Thursdays, perhaps the time should be somewhere around 7:30-8pm?

Most of time earlier than that people are in the pre-reg line/getting their badges/still getting into Baltimore which may have factored into this year's shortage of people who showed.

I've thought about it, but around that time, when everyone does have their badges, the place is PACKED and it's hard to reserve tables for so many people when it's already packed.

I think it's essentially an issue of choosing between one of many evils...

Personally I would'nt make it because I usually work on Thursdays...

But...I'm sure about the "packed" issue...can't you reserve a place for people in advance?

I'm sure true otakus can put up with the squashiness of the place?

I think it's essentially an issue of choosing between one of many evils...

Personally I would'nt make it because I usually work on Thursdays...

But...I'm sure about the "packed" issue...can't you reserve a place for people in advance?

I'm sure true otakus can put up with the squashiness of the place?

Tried that last year....unfortunately, they stopped doing reservations (ironically because large groups would reserve and...dun dun dun...not show up)

So pretty much if I did it later, it would be first come first serve, and there wouldnt be all that many seats to begin with. So there is a delimma. Do it earlier when theres actually room (but when some people might not be able to make it on time) or later, where there might not be that many seats at all.

Is there a way to confirm with people who put the preliminary invite? Like...can those who are going give out contact information other than the Otakon e-mail so they can confirm?

Some people do need a little push to make things right...

Unfortunately we had a turnout of only 15 people (shame on everybody who RSVP'd and never came) as we were there till past 6. It was a little embarrasing as Otakon actually sent a professional photographer to take a picture of the meetup, and there were only about 6 people there when he came.

Just for the record, I'm the photographer who showed up at Edo Sushi. I was NOT staff, nor was I officially appointed to come over to Edo. I just did it on my own, because in past years Otakon archive staff have gone bananas over my "candid" photos taken during the conventions, usually of stuff that other staff/photographers have no ability or time to photograph. As I now had a new-ish Nikon D40x on my neck, I wanted to put it to good use this year. Eventually, Otakon staff WILL have a CD or two of my photos for their use, and I'm debating a Flickr or Photobucket page, but I have other paying work ahead of that in line.

Other examples of stuff "related" to Otakon I shot: cosplayers waiting for late-night Metro Subway trains, the ice cream trucks, the water vendors, the first guys in line, various folks in the line on Thursday, etc.

Frankly, had I known the situation was going to end up the way it did, I would have sat down and joined you! :)

Objectively speaking, I see a "double whammy" of a problem for a 2009 Edo meetup: Before con, people are coming in, worrying about registration, and saving their money for the Dealers Room. Afterwards, everyone's either broke or scrambling to get home.

I don't know how this would fly with Otakon management, but how about working to make the meet-up an officially-sanctioned event? Promote it a bit more on the BBS, and walk the line with a sandwich-type sign promoting the meet-up: "After you grab your registration, come to Edo Sushi and eat, meet, greet!" and hand out menus as well. That way, the folks up front in line can come over after they grab their registrations and "replace" the "first shift" at the meet-up.

Wow, I had no idea you were the flying scotsman on the boards. AWESOME.

If there was any possible way to make it officially sanctioned, I think that is the best way we could do it. As you said, I'm seeing problems making it work any other way, although I'll still hold a small meetup with freinds if it comes down to it.

Maybe it would be better if the point person just gave their cell phone number out so that whomever is actually coming could, say, call the point person at least two hours prior to the meetup to double-confirm their place, so that any changes to the reservation could be made? Just a thought.

Man, that really sucks, and I'm sorry that happened to you. You seem to be a lot nicer then me though, as I would have probably torn the 40+ people a new one. :(

Doing it before the con seem's to be the best way to go. After Otakon ended last Sunday, my boyfriend and I were supposed to go to a party out in Timonium, but we were so broke we had to skip it. Plus, a lot of people usually leave early on Sunday.

Having it as an official Otakon event for Thursday is a great idea though! Most people use that time to meet up with friend's anyhow, so why not meet up at a sushi place?

I WISHED that I could've gone to the Edo Sushi meetup this year, but unfortunately, my TCG schedule prevented it from happening. It could be cool if a Edo Sushi meetup could occur during the convention. But an officially sanctioned Otakon Edo Sushi meetup? That could be cool, but would Otakon have enough staff to even do that? I would volunteer to be staff of a department that would organize such a meetup and I'm quite sure that Shiro420 would volunteer to be staff to officially organize such a meetup... This could be an idea we could propose to Otakon and see if they would be willing to have staff to organize this.

I WISHED that I could've gone to the Edo Sushi meetup this year, but unfortunately, my TCG schedule prevented it from happening. It could be cool if a Edo Sushi meetup could occur during the convention. But an officially sanctioned Otakon Edo Sushi meetup? That could be cool, but would Otakon have enough staff to even do that? I would volunteer to be staff of a department that would organize such a meetup and I'm quite sure that Shiro420 would volunteer to be staff to officially organize such a meetup... This could be an idea we could propose to Otakon and see if they would be willing to have staff to organize this.

Not to down the idea, but to place a realistic spin on this:

In a short answer, no, there would not be enough staff to do an officially sanctioned Edo Meet Up. We hardly had enough staff to cover registration, Spec Ops, and various other places this year where we truly needed people. These sort of meet ups should be done outside the staff realm and are usually out of our control (as they should be, because our staff really need to be in the BCC taking care of things in there)...and for staff to arrange a Thursday night gathering, it wouldn't happen. Thursday is our set up day. All staff on site are checking in, working pre-reg, and setting up the con.

If staff were to do a meet up of sorts, it would be an Official Otakon BBS meet up usually organized by a member of BBS staff, however in the past years, many of us who are Otakon BBS staff have At Con duties that usually take priority. And unfortunately, despite initial interest, people will usually drop out of meet ups because other things come up. It looks like that was the case with this meet up this year. Even if we had the resources to use for something like this, with the history it wouldn't make sense to spend them on such a low-attendance venture.

Make that meet up (s) plural...

All of the meetups set up on otakon BBS this just...did not work out. I understand it cannot be an officially sanctioned event...but someone w/ leadership experience should co-ordinate Edo or other meetups to happen...IF it will happen well.

Personally...if we ever do any meetup next year..I would like to go to one which will ACTUALLY happen...

We will see, I guess...

Not to down the idea, but to place a realistic spin on this:

In a short answer, no, there would not be enough staff to do an officially sanctioned Edo Meet Up. We hardly had enough staff to cover registration, Spec Ops, and various other places this year where we truly needed people. These sort of meet ups should be done outside the staff realm and are usually out of our control (as they should be, because our staff really need to be in the BCC taking care of things in there)...and for staff to arrange a Thursday night gathering, it wouldn't happen. Thursday is our set up day. All staff on site are checking in, working pre-reg, and setting up the con.

If staff were to do a meet up of sorts, it would be an Official Otakon BBS meet up usually organized by a member of BBS staff, however in the past years, many of us who are Otakon BBS staff have At Con duties that usually take priority. And unfortunately, despite initial interest, people will usually drop out of meet ups because other things come up. It looks like that was the case with this meet up this year. Even if we had the resources to use for something like this, with the history it wouldn't make sense to spend them on such a low-attendance venture.

which is what I figured. You guys are busy enough as is, without having to worry about a meet-up.

I did do the whole cell-phone thing last year...didnt make that much of a difference but I will try again this year.

I'm thinking of making the meetup around 600 this year then going to pick up our badges around 800...that way people have enough time to either A) check in

:D first wave of badge picker uppers can join

C)since most people are in by 7, everyone could have a chance to make it

I'm only planning one for next year because there seems to be some support for it, thank you for everybody whos supporting the idea. I first started the whole edo sushi meetup as a chance for people to celebrate otakon and make new friends, so its good to see some people are willing to come. The future of Edo Sushi really depends on the success of next years meetup though, so I'll be sure to work hard to organize this event even better for next year. Im welcoming any help, so anybody who'd like to, just PM me, and we'll discuss the plans for next year.

Thanks for all your support and lets make the next edo sushi a big one!

P.S. To Flying Scotsman: I know it was you....I saw the bloody knife in your hand that night....DUNDUNDUNDNNNNNNN

• 2 weeks later...

I wasnt someone who RSVPed because I knew I wouldnt be able to go anyway - but in the future I am interested in going. I actually have never been to a Japanese resturant before. I have had Japanese food at like the cherry blossom festival and other places, but it would be nice to try some new food with other otakus.

but perhaps have a food meet up on sunday after the con - or much later on thursday. then, before having the meet up have a few people hand out or put up flyers [i would volunteer to do this] or maybe have a handful of people with signs advertising it while in the pre-reg line. just brainstorming here. i think it would be best to advertise in some way because people do forget....

TT^TT I wanted to go but I got dragged across town to the other Edo sushi in....the county. TT_TT and as for the singles meet up...TT_TT I got dragged away for reasons unknown.

Huh...I didn't know anyone actually did this. Ironically though, my usual group for Otakon has made it a tradition to go to Edu Sushi on Sunday evening since Otakon 06. I wish I could say this year's service was a great as past years, but unfortunately I can't. Here's the story:

So first I had sent most of the group ahead to secure us a table, while my girlfriend and I waited outside the BCC for the last member of our group, who had volunteered to help at a table in the Dealer's Room. When it had been almost 30 mins after he said he'd be out, we decided we were too damn hungry, and he knew where to meet us anyway. So we headed to Edo Sushi, only to find the people we sent ahead hadn't gotten us a table because the restaurant was apparantly completely out of stock on certain things. I said screw it, and had us a table in a few minutes for a group of 8 (there were 7 of us present, and the last, absent member would make 8 when he got there). Now, that went fine, and that's about where it ended. We got our drinks in a timely fashion, and ordered our sushi/appetizers. They bring us our sodas in little glasses; I know they used to bring big glasses, but perhaps they were out and refills were free, so I was like "who cares", except when refill time came they brought us water. So we got that straightened out. They come back for our entrees, despite having yet to bring us our sushi or appetizers, but we figure hey, let's just get it out of the way. After we order, we see another group about the same size as ours sit down at a table behind us. Here's where I started getting pissed. Not only did that table get their drinks in a timely fashion, but they had their appetizers shortly after. We were still waiting for ours, and in the end we got our entrees BEFORE our appetizers, and they brought us the wrong kind of sushi not once, but twice. We actually had to remind them about the appetizers. And our food came out in sporadic bursts, so half of our group was already finished when the other half was just getting their food. In truth, our waiter rarely came to our table, but he was all over the other one, constantly walking around and making sure everyone was enjoying their meal.

Now, remember that other group I mentioned? By this point, they had already had their entrees and were finishing up, and as I said half of my group was just getting their food. At this point it had been close to 2 hours, and the 8th member of our group decides to show up, after we're all annoyed at the service. But we weren't going to tell him he couldn't eat because we were pissed, so he sits down and orders, takes about another 30 mins for his food to come, and wh en it did the table behind us was long gone. Keep in mind, also, that they kept trying to push water on us for our refills, instead of Cokes and Sprites. They then try to impose the 18% gratuity on us for a group of 8, excpet by law they can't force you to pay that gratuity, and considering the lousy service we had we decided we weren't paying the gratuity. So we paid the base bill and started getting our things together, when the waiter and (I presume) the manager come out, telling us we didn't pay the whole bill. Well, we explained to him that yes we did, we were not obligated to pay the gratuity, and we explained about the service and how we felt treated unfairly. They tried justifying it by telling us that they had a lot of work to do with people coming from the convention, but as one member of our group kindly pointed out: "Well you certainly didn't have any trouble keeping up with the table behind us. If you had given half of the attention you gave them to us, you'd see that 18%." At this point I was the only one who hadn't walked away, so I just looked at them, shrugged, and said "Sorry, but I have had much better service here before" and as I was walking away the manager made the comment "Don't be sorry, I'm sorry for you, how you gonna come with such a big group to a restaurant and expect perfect service?" I could have said more, but considering that my group was already in the Lee's ice cream, and considering that I was already fed up with the situation, I just shook my head and walked away.

If anyone took the time to read all of that, thank you. We talked to a few other people at Lee's, and they said their service was horrendous too. I don't know what happened, because as I've said we've done this for the past several years, and we've also gone there on regular days as well, and the service was always excellent. Hopefully next year will be better.

I read your whole story - i'm sorry you had that experience. there's nothing more annoying than going out to eat to a nice place and not getting good service. i used to work in a resturant, so here's some advice for future reference: explain everything that's wrong with your meal/service to the manager well in advance and before you pay. that makes a huge difference. this way, the manager can explain things and, in most cases, take responsiblity. he/she will also know that you're not pleased and you could've recieved a discount. it sounded like from your story that you were waiting roughly 2 hours - but in that time you could've said something to management. it really does make a big difference to do this, plus its too late to argue when it's time to pay.