Saw this on the Artists Alley thread and thought ... this would be good if we could manage it.

But not sure how. And would we be able to collect recyclables and make money off of them to give to some worthy cause (meaning not Otakon or Otakorp), like when the little leaguers collect aluminum cans for charity.

Would people be willing to walk to a recycling station instead of dropping stuff on the floor? Or throwing items in the trash?

At least put recycling bins--city bins or anything, really--by the Aramark stands and by the entrances and exits. All those bottles and cans shouldn't be going to waste. If Virgin Fest can go green, so can we.

I would definitely like to see more recycling available at the BCC, instead of having to just trash my aluminium cans and plastic/glass bottles... Maybe if the BCC obtained some of those bins like they have in a few spots outside the BCC, where they have a bin that lets you separate trash from glass/plastic/etc.

I was thinking the same thing while I was cleaning the hotel room of 80,000 plastic water bottles

I think that having stations by the entrance doors would be nice... some place that everyone passes by and can't miss.

I was about to ask 'people are just dropping things on the ground???' but that would have been a silly queastion

and yes I would be willing to walk to one. We should go green in 2009!

It beats tossing my trash into my backpack.

I've seen those tri-recycling (paper/plastic-glass/cans) trash bins on various city streets. The only negative aspect is that because it's a regular can that's been split in three, it holds less. The BCC would need 1.. 2.. a whole bunch of 'em on the floors.

An excellent idea, I remember back in March the Phillies went green. Personally there should be just regular bin shape cans near food stations in the BCC where you drop in your cans, bottles, plastics, etc. Good idea.

I agree completely, recycling bins would be an awesome idea. However I'm not sure if that'd help or hurt staff wise. I'm sure it was hard enough keeping up on the garbage cans...adding more bins could be tough. Though if people were throwing recyclables in another, I'm sure they'd fill at a slower rate all the same.

I agree completely, recycling bins would be an awesome idea. However I'm not sure if that'd help or hurt staff wise. I'm sure it was hard enough keeping up on the garbage cans...adding more bins could be tough. Though if people were throwing recyclables in another, I'm sure they'd fill at a slower rate all the same.

What about if we got into a partnership with a non-profit group like the boy scouts to come and collect them?

I think it would be a good idea to do recycling. Isn't the convention center going to start having recycling containers around the convention center? They have a greening up plan on their website and they mention recycling of a lot of things.

Immediately after finishing a drink on Friday morning, I was scouring my nearby surroundings for a recycling bin. I then gave up and threw it in the trash and felt guilty about it. D:

I completely agree with this, Otakon should definitely go green for 2009! As a convention of over 26,000 now, we trash entirely too many recyclables throughout the average Otakon weekend. It's unreal when you think about it for a moment.

I can definitely see green or blue recyclable containers located throughout the BCC. Also, I fully agree that we can get someone to help us with collecting the recyclables & taking them to collect money for charity like the Boy Scouts or similar organization. That is, unless the BCC finally decides to go green like it should.

Either way, we have 11 months to organize this. I think we can make it happen! :D

Edited by Shineigami02

What about if we got into a partnership with a non-profit group like the boy scouts to come and collect them?

The easiest way to green things would be to turn the AC down. It was cold in there! Can they not set different levels for different halls? I know the dealer's room needs a lot of AC, and mayeb videogames to, but the others would be fine at a lower level.

Recycling would be great! Virgin Festival works with some partners on their programs. Blanking out on the name right now but it's all over the V Fest website. This year they even gave peopel bags to pick up cans and bottles to be turned in for free CDs and shirts and stuff.

I have to agree...if there were recycling bins i would have used them. I think ths would be a great idea....If everyone at otakon recycled 1 aluminum can thats 187 bucks for somone (assuming attendance of 25,000 and payout of $.0075 per can)

I agree that if recycling bins were all over the BCC, then people would use them, and not just like in the real world where the recycling bin is full of trash and the trash bin is full of cans and bottles. -_-;

My concern is that the BCC might want a monopoly on waste collection, and wouldn't let themselves or others operate recycling bins alongside the trash cans. In addition to that, though, we are in dire need of either more frequent trash pickups or multiple huge trash cans instead of the little ones we had this year. I remember putting a glass bottle on the ground next to an overflowing trash can because I didn't want it to fall off the pile and shatter. =0

The areas by the entrances are especially in need, since people often get takeout and want to ditch their bags and cups and bottles as they enter the convention center.

How bout more trash cans in general in and outside of bcc. i swear i felt sorry for the poor saps that had to clean up after the con, it truly looked run down and full of litter, especailly outside near the steps. Otherwise going green is a great idea.

I too felt some areas were far colder then others notabley the dealers room and artist alley. and the rave was the complete opposite!

Immediately after finishing a drink on Friday morning, I was scouring my nearby surroundings for a recycling bin. I then gave up and threw it in the trash and felt guilty about it. D:

Same here. I felt so bad throwing all my plastic water bottles away in the regular trash......

Otakon, go green in 09!! =D

You seemed to skip the first two steps ... why didn't you just reuse them? I meant to bring one with me, but instead just used one of the complementary bottles put out by the hotel and carried it around the con the next day.

Actually, the Baltimore Convention Center is actually making an attempt to go green, the BCC website has a link already to a "Baltimore Convention Center Green Initiatives" document, here's a direct link to the document: http://www.bccenter.org/downloads/files/bc...initiatives.pdf

If you look on page 2, the offices of the BCC already recycles all paper and under the "Catering Department" section, the 8th bullet is of the most interest for everybody who wants recycling:

Looking into implementing a recycling program for all waste (glass, paper, cardboard, and plastics)

Same here. I felt so bad throwing all my plastic water bottles away in the regular trash......

Otakon, go green in 09!! =D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.