Club Otaku 2009 Suggestions

Well, this thread was originally going to show up in the Otakon 2008 forum as a feedback thing, but I guess this is a more appropriate are for it.

As a co-head of Club Otaku, and this being our second con ever (MAGFest in early January), we've never yet experienced a "second-generation" jam room. Both times we ran the room, not a whole lot of people knew about us until the end, and not many people had been able to prepare. So what we want you to do is post things that you are planning on for next year (related to the jam room), things you would like to see next year, or any kind of improvements we can make that will improve the overall experience.

Possible suggestion is on the sign in board have two columns.

In the left column, name of person (or band) and if they want to perform by their self or have people just join in and jam with them and in the right column the names of the songs, anime, video games they're going to play from.

That way people can just look in advance at the board and note what sets might be open and if any of the songs being played are ones they're familiar with and can be ready to jump in.

Possible suggestion is on the sign in board have two columns.

In the left column, name of person (or band) and if they want to perform by their self or have people just join in and jam with them and in the right column the names of the songs, anime, video games they're going to play from.

That way people can just look in advance at the board and note what sets might be open and if any of the songs being played are ones they're familiar with and can be ready to jump in.

Not to sound like a complete idiot (though I probably am)... But what exactly IS Club Otaku? I didn't get a chance to go to Otakon this year, but I did attend the previous year, and haven't heard of this... From the sounds of it, it seems like the reinstated version of Otakon's band night? I just need a little clarification is all.

Not to sound like a complete idiot (though I probably am)... But what exactly IS Club Otaku? I didn't get a chance to go to Otakon this year, but I did attend the previous year, and haven't heard of this... From the sounds of it, it seems like the reinstated version of Otakon's band night? I just need a little clarification is all.

I see...that DOES sound like fun.

Definitely something I'll be attending next year...thanks for clarifying!

I see...that DOES sound like fun.

Definitely something I'll be attending next year...thanks for clarifying!

Suggestions? Less american rock, more anime/video game/j-rock songs.

I have a suggestion man. Have small dj time slots too. There are plenty of people who can do some sick turntablism and spinnin. plus. you can have the option for a band or jam session with a dj. Ya know? like linkin park style or slipknot style. Scratchin goes with everything. I think 15 min time slots would be cool. Find someone to donated turntables and cdj's for the convention. I know those slots would fill up big time. :D I know ill be there to rock out next year mang.

Suggestions? Less american rock, more anime/video game/j-rock songs.

Take that up with the people that reserve the slots. Personally, I want to hear less Portal.

If by Portal you mean Jonathan Coulton, then I must say that you fail at life, Sah! Yes, "Still Alive" has been played a bajillion times, but it is still the greatest song written for a video game... EVER. XD

Lol except when one guy keeps playing it over and over again, but hey "Least I got cake."

I think it was a great Idea ! I passed by a few times but I never went in ... and why was that? my only complaint is that it was too darn loud! my ears hurt by just passing it ;_; key down the volume please

I think it was a great Idea ! I passed by a few times but I never went in ... and why was that? my only complaint is that it was too darn loud! my ears hurt by just passing it ;_; key down the volume please

and you know what now that you mention that, I go to the raves and I was in the front of the speekers for a while sat night too... I think it's because it is loud and Danceing means your mind is distracted from how loud it really is . it might be because it is live, and I wasn't prepared to have my ears assulted that time of day . I wish I rememerd what time of day it was and what day as well. it could have been just a few of the bands

Geist..... I think that I have heard them before? at another con.. AUSA?? if thats the same bad they are always loud X3

I have a suggestion man. Have small dj time slots too. There are plenty of people who can do some sick turntablism and spinnin. plus. you can have the option for a band or jam session with a dj. Ya know? like linkin park style or slipknot style. Scratchin goes with everything. I think 15 min time slots would be cool. Find someone to donated turntables and cdj's for the convention. I know those slots would fill up big time. :huh: I know ill be there to rock out next year mang.
I have a suggestion man. Have small dj time slots too. There are plenty of people who can do some sick turntablism and spinnin. plus. you can have the option for a band or jam session with a dj. Ya know? like linkin park style or slipknot style. Scratchin goes with everything. I think 15 min time slots would be cool. Find someone to donated turntables and cdj's for the convention. I know those slots would fill up big time. :huh: I know ill be there to rock out next year mang.

I second this. There are some pretty ok dj folks at the con and they should be able to play there too :)

Ah, I was going to third a DJ section. Perhaps a dual table setup so DJs can set up while the other act is going? I won't lie though, An 8 minute slot would make 3 or 4 cuts sound rushed.
Edited by Escariot
Offer media from the DJs of the night raves @ Club Otaku.
You may need to clarify this.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.