Hotels for 2009 - GREAT move!

XD I'm sure the Days Inn (or any hotel for that matter) won't have a 5+ reservation. I just checked...

Then again, I don't see how they can tell you the limit on your room...

Like, my girlfriend and I are staying at the Hilton, but I reserved the room for just me. Can they tell me that she's not allowed to stay? There maximum capacity for a room is four right?

I think the whole "name your guests" thing is confusing and odd.

I'm pretty sure if you say there is only two or less people in your room, you will get a 1 bed room. So if you don't mind sharing with your girlfriend (which I assume is not a problem :P) then you shouldn't have any issues. Then those who put 3 or more will be given the two bed rooms out of priority.

Hotels generally only raise the room rate when you go over two people per room. Those who put less people to get a cheaper rate will probably end up in the smaller rooms.

We booked at the Days Inn last Sunday with their direct website, and got business suites (they hold 5+ people) for $219 a night. More expensive, but you still get the free wifi, and our rooms will be nice and big. :)

Edited by Ryouko

That's actually a really smart idea...I should do that for next year... (heck, I may even run it by the guys this year)

With just five people, 219 for two nights is about $90 a piece...pretty good deal in my eyes.

I'll keep that in mind.

yep i love this hotel idea and the timing i was able to get one of the choice hotels and my mind is at peace for a year plus loving the prices and the fact you can just email or call up and say you wanted xx day or xx hotel but it wasn't on the website and they totally hook you up!

for the name of guests thing I dont think it matters I've used my own name and the name unk ^^; it can be edited later easily

XD I'm sure the Days Inn (or any hotel for that matter) won't have a 5+ reservation. I just checked...

Then again, I don't see how they can tell you the limit on your room...

Like, my girlfriend and I are staying at the Hilton, but I reserved the room for just me. Can they tell me that she's not allowed to stay? There maximum capacity for a room is four right?

I think the whole "name your guests" thing is confusing and odd.

I managed to snag 5 nights at the sheraton inner harbor before it dropped from the passkey site (at least for duration I wanted). Heck of a cost (around $1100) but its combination of 1st otakon and sightsee the area so it should be ok. Least I got a year to save for it :lol: .

Last year there were several folks who missed out on hotel rooms because they were watching the website which went from "here are some hotels - check back soon" to "ALL SOLD OUT" without any updates inbetween. If there was an update it happened over a day or so.

No, as this year demonstrates, that's roughly what always happens. The only difference is now we don't have to wait for official word to come down from the hotel (it cuts into overbooking) and then Matt & Co. take the time to update the hotel page when they sell-out in under an hour.

And even if you can't cancel the reservation, there will usually be someone willing to take it off your hands as the con date approaches!

Fixed.

Hotels generally only raise the room rate when you go over two people per room. Those who put less people to get a cheaper rate will probably end up in the smaller rooms.

Playing with the dates to get more than one hotel, the Hilton will bump you $15 for the 3rd person, but nothing additional for #2 or 4.

Last year there were several folks who missed out on hotel rooms because they were watching the website which went from "here are some hotels - check back soon" to "ALL SOLD OUT" without any updates inbetween. If there was an update it happened over a day or so.

No, as this year demonstrates, that's roughly what always happens. The only difference is now we don't have to wait for official word to come down from the hotel (it cuts into overbooking) and then Matt & Co. take the time to update the hotel page when they sell-out in under an hour.

Really? The Sheraton Inner Harbor is already booked up?

Interesting.

Oh man, today I was a bit scared that i got the wrong Hilton for Ota '09 until i check that address with a few maps. 401 W. Pratt Street this is indeed the new hotel for which I'm glad i put in for right after Ota '08 ended cause not a whole lot of options left from the Otakon 2009 Lodging Reservation site. And yes I even check the Hilton's own site and they are charging $194.65 so if you can get into the Ota block ASAP for $189.00 (thats for 1 person and 1 room on both prices listed) :blush:

Edited by RTeker

Im coming from Ireland so I usually arrive on Thurs and leave on the Monday but I cant seem to find hotels that book for those dates. Is everything sold out already? This cant be up much more than a week already I cant believe that hotels are already booked out :wub: If I try on the exact dates I only get a choice of 3 hotels to choose from.

While I like the idea wouldnt it have been a bit better to wait until all hotels were signed up before starting this so people actually knew what was going to be available. Think i will just have to try getting in touch directly with the hotels

Im coming from Ireland so I usually arrive on Thurs and leave on the Monday but I cant seem to find hotels that book for those dates. Is everything sold out already? This cant be up much more than a week already I cant believe that hotels are already booked out :wub: If I try on the exact dates I only get a choice of 3 hotels to choose from.

While I like the idea wouldnt it have been a bit better to wait until all hotels were signed up before starting this so people actually knew what was going to be available. Think i will just have to try getting in touch directly with the hotels

I don't know if they Hyatt was ever in the system or not because I just booked the rack rate, but I'm gonna tell you that I got lucky. I got a room for $229 a night a few days ago. I just checked their rates again and they have now upped them (guess they figured out that it was Otakon weekend) The lowest regular rate is now a whopping $489.00 a night. Hope everyone that wanted a Hyatt room actually got Otakon rates or made it in before the regular rates changed.

I don't know if they Hyatt was ever in the system or not because I just booked the rack rate, but I'm gonna tell you that I got lucky. I got a room for $229 a night a few days ago. I just checked their rates again and they have now upped them (guess they figured out that it was Otakon weekend) The lowest regular rate is now a whopping $489.00 a night. Hope everyone that wanted a Hyatt room actually got Otakon rates or made it in before the regular rates changed.

That is the regular room rate for the Hyatt. The discount for Otakon is significant.

about this charging for extra people topic...

when i booked the Radisson, the lady told me thta with the con rate, i get either 2 queens or 1 king, but she doesn't know which i'm gonna get. will i get in trouble if i bring 4 people instead of 2 or something??

i know at the Sheraton (former Wyndham) they gave us 4 room keys, no extra

about this charging for extra people topic...

when i booked the Radisson, the lady told me thta with the con rate, i get either 2 queens or 1 king, but she doesn't know which i'm gonna get. will i get in trouble if i bring 4 people instead of 2 or something??

Edited by Duelistbluerose

That is the regular room rate for the Hyatt. The discount for Otakon is significant.

Edited by krystlerose
I believe the Otakon rate was 199.00.

I also used the Hyatt but AAA since it was less. I did it that way to assure I get my Hyatt frequent hotel stay points.

I don't believe they give frequent hotel points for these hotels using the otakon rate...but still not sure.

Hi! I booked at Hilton from Friday to Sunday but I have a question! will my stay being booked through your site count to my hilton honors points? I know the post before mine says they do not think so but I just wanted to be sure!

Thx

Hi! I booked at Hilton from Friday to Sunday but I have a question! will my stay being booked through your site count to my hilton honors points? I know the post before mine says they do not think so but I just wanted to be sure!

Thx

Hey! I couldn't find a hotel through the Otakon passkey search, so I went through Hotwire. I managed to find an awesome deal at the Holiday Inn Express (any place with free continental breakfast is a winner in my book!). Does anyone know if it's feasible to walk to the Convention Center from there? I've heard it's not such a great area, but I'm used to the homeless people by now (2009 will be my fifth Otakon!).

I think the new service for hotels is good, it is good if your don't have a preference for a hotel. I still went over it's head and called the hotel I love to stay at though because their information is more up to date, that is just the nature of something like this.

How cool is this!? I'm gonna try the Hilton. Let's see how the new kid on the block fares next year. Just being directly connected to the BCC is worth the extra scratch to me.

5th

Is Otakon still working on contracts for other hotels? I couldn't find the Sheraton City Baltimore (which had an excellent rate this year) I had to book through the Sheraton web site. I got a room but $25 more than last year.

i went ahead and got a thursday night at the Hilton and my rate is that same of $189 a night, but i did see that on Hilton's site that you can pre-pay now for $168 a night for thurs fri and sat nights. then again thats pre-pay as in you better have the money in the bank if you do that :)

A question for anyone who's booked a room at the Radisson:

It seems the only place to specify between a room with one or two beds is in the special request box, which I did (for a 2 bed), but it doesn't actually confirm what kind of room you have. What's the best way to find out? If you call, will they have that sort of info now, or closer to the con, or not until you actually check in? I'm assuming that if you specify there's 3 or 4 adults in the room, you'll get preference for the separate beds, but since I don't really know how many of us will be going next year, I put in 2 adults for the lower price for now. Has anyone had any experience with this?

It seems the only place to specify between a room with one or two beds is in the special request box, which I did (for a 2 bed), but it doesn't actually confirm what kind of room you have. What's the best way to find out? If you call, will they have that sort of info now, or closer to the con, or not until you actually check in? I'm assuming that if you specify there's 3 or 4 adults in the room, you'll get preference for the separate beds, but since I don't really know how many of us will be going next year, I put in 2 adults for the lower price for now. Has anyone had any experience with this?

I didn't book at a Radisson but Hilton has the same problem. I think you can't call the hotel until July 9th or so says the passkey website. Because they won't send the reservations until then. So you are going to have to wait until July 9th, also by then you will know for sure is there's going to be more than 2 people or if you are really going to need those 3 beds. Also if you need to modify any "special request information" I suggest you e-mail the reservation customer service. I tried to change some special request things I wrote there and you can't erase what you wrote before, they just add the new text below. I mailed customer service and they erased everything and wrote something new :)

Well, I just got my Hilton Honors card and info through the snail-mail route and what I believe that, for EVERYONE that has reserved a room with the Hilton, that if you are with the HHonors with the Hilton then you show the card you got or will get to the check-in people. when you check-in to the hotel next July and there is still no solution to the HHonors question then proceed with what I just said. that should work at getting you the points and stuff, and for those of you that reserved a room with the Hilton but dont have the HHonors with them, go get it.

so the holiday inn is back up for thursday to monday, bout 40 bucks cheaper a night then the hilton, but do ya think the hilton would be worth it?

biggest problem we had with the holiday inn, was we got put in the old tower with obsolete air conditioning and and older room

Well, I just got my Hilton Honors card and info through the snail-mail route and what I believe that, for EVERYONE that has reserved a room with the Hilton, that if you are with the HHonors with the Hilton then you show the card you got or will get to the check-in people. when you check-in to the hotel next July and there is still no solution to the HHonors question then proceed with what I just said. that should work at getting you the points and stuff, and for those of you that reserved a room with the Hilton but dont have the HHonors with them, go get it.
How can you be sure? for what I read you have to make the reservation through them not a third party to get the points. I e-mailed them and they had the usual automatic answer, it didn't clear things up. Can someone clear this up? it would be a shame to loose those points!

Thx

Technically, as an outside booking, it shouldn't be possible ... but I found (at least I found back in the days of Wyndham) that when you call to confirm, if they don't ask/point out that there is no account associated, just ask if it was put in at the same time, and they will include the account for tracking. I may just go this route for next year anyway, because going back in to Passkey with preference changes seemed to open a bit more of the reservation for editing than I am confortable with.

How can you be sure? for what I read you have to make the reservation through them not a third party to get the points. I e-mailed them and they had the usual automatic answer, it didn't clear things up. Can someone clear this up? it would be a shame to loose those points!

Thx

Technically, as an outside booking, it shouldn't be possible ... but I found (at least I found back in the days of Wyndham) that when you call to confirm, if they don't ask/point out that there is no account associated, just ask if it was put in at the same time, and they will include the account for tracking. I may just go this route for next year anyway, because going back in to Passkey with preference changes seemed to open a bit more of the reservation for editing than I am confortable with.

I love the idea with the hotels. I wish I could do it also but unfortunutly Im staying with my friends family so its like 30min away and cant stay out too late like last yr. Its good that I dont have to pay for a hotel but i like bein close to convention center. I wish I had a car.

Thanks Otakon for the option for the hotels

• 7 months later...

Just a quick heads up:

I just cancelled a room at the Hilton from Thursday-Sunday (both me and someone else booked a room for our group by accident--don't need both). So it's available if someone out there is still looking for a room in the Hilton! Hurry up and call them.

ok when I had to modify my hotel stay, and you can do this too, at the VERY bottom there is section for you to add your rewards program number for that hotel as I was able to add my HHonors number too my passkey reservation

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.