Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adv1sor

A suggestion to free up more resources

(snip)

and I'm only saying that people are kissing asses because....out of all the people on this forum...I seem to be the only one pointing out negative things about the con-staff...where as everyone else, apparently sees the con-staff as perfect and that the con-staff in no way could possibly get any better.

...and yet, of all the people discussing the inner workings of this convention, you seem the least capable of understanding what actually goes on behind the scenes. No one has said that they couldn't get better; in fact, you seem to be the only one laboring under the misapprehension that, because they won't take your esteemed advice, the event not only will not but cannot improve. You are being very offensive, to be quite honest. It is not "ass kissing" to be grateful for someone who does something nice for you and to speak up when they are being maligned.

And for the record, Otakon is closer to 30,000 than it is 20,000, and certainly much closer to both than 1,000. You can't compare a small event to something the size of the convention; though it works on paper, the math doesn't convert to real life.

Obviously you didn't get it the first two times...I'll say it again...

I'm taking about the Rave that I hosted which housed approximately 1000 people......and comparing it to the rave at otakon..which houses about 1000 people

100,000,000,000 people could attend Otakon..it still wouldn't change the fact that only about 1000 people attend the Otakon Rave

I'm comparing the relatively same sized raves and pointing out that Otakon doesn't need to use as many Staffers as they do for the RAVE ONLY!

100,000,000,000 people could attend Otakon..it still wouldn't change the fact that only about 1000 people attend the Otakon Rave

I'm comparing the relatively same sized raves and pointing out that Otakon doesn't need to use as many Staffers as they do for the RAVE ONLY!

well...considering they can't really fit more than 1000 people into the room throughout the night...it doesn't matter

and again...your statement is overwhelmingly positive in the con-staffs favor

my SUGGESTION based on my own personal OPINION and observations from past experiences is that the rave could have less staff members and still be functional, this SUGGESTION...is just that...take it or leave it...it makes no difference to me

Okay everyone, time to take a step back, breathe, and CHILL OUT.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions GOOD OR BAD on this forum. No one is going to agree on things and our staff take all compliments, suggestions, criticisms seriously and use that input to work on things.

So this is the ONLY warning this thread is getting: Keep it civil and stop snitting back and forth. If you can't keep it constructive or civil, the thread gets a lock and EVERYONE who decides to continue snitting back and forth will their warning levels raised.

RESUME TOPIC (in a civil manner)

yes...but I'm using that 1000 people as a comparison to the raves only.....while Otakon does have like 20,000 people in attendance.....only about 1000 or so are ever at the rave at one time.....trust me...you wouldn't be able to fit all 20,000 people into that room.

so as far as that goes...Yes, the rave only could be staffed by a smaller number of staffers than what they are using...and since this is a thread about suggestions to free up resources...I'm sticking with my suggestion being...use less staff members at the rave

and I'm only saying that people are kissing asses because....out of all the people on this forum...I seem to be the only one pointing out negative things about the con-staff...where as everyone else, apparently sees the con-staff as perfect and that the con-staff in no way could possibly get any better.

You're welcome to your opinions, but I will call you on factual inaccuracies.

1. Nobody suggested that 26,000 people (or 20k, but clearly facts aren't your strong suit in this discussion) fit in the dance. The point is that running a solo rave and running a 26k+ person convention are very different things, and whatever experience you had running the former doesn't necessarily translate to the latter. For example, I'm betting your raves don't get monitored by the police, including having undercover folks. I'm betting you don't have to worry so much about legal stuff, insurance, or other grown-up things. But then again, I don't claim to be an expert on raves -- whereas I do claim to be an expert on Otakon and what goes into making it happen.

2. You are NOT the only person who's pointed out negative things. It takes but a bit of reading in this very forum to see several examples of negative feedback -- though admittedly this past year things ran pretty smoothly.

And let me tell you, the staff who plan this event certainly do not see it as perfect. We spend MANY hours at meetings hammering out ways to improve things, and we've run this particular con for 16 years, the last decade in our current location. The dance has been in its current spot for the last five years, run by the same team -- and the formula has been tweaked and adjusted over time. The rules, the number of staff, and myriad other facts have been tested and we have found that if anything, we could use more staff. Incidents of stupidity and bad behavior don't get much publicity because we have sufficient staff to handle them before they become bigger problems.

Would it surprise you that we turn away a fair number of obviously drunk or stoned folks? Or that we've broken up fights, dealt with medical problems, petty theft, accidental injuries, and property destruction? These things don't happen often, thankfully -- and they're typically dealt with long before it becomes a real problem.

The suggestion that two or three people could deal with a crowd that size, and have sufficient folk on hand to deal with any problems, is laughable. Our direct and relevant experience with the event in question tells us that.

this will probably get my warning level raised..but IDC

1) I was attempting an apagogical argument...also, I've had the police show up to the last 3 raves I've hosted, and while I agree that running a convention and running a rave are completely different...I'm not now, nor have I ever been, trying to compare the two....I'm comparing the Otakurave to other raves, nothing else.

2) I'll concede the point that I'm most likely not the only person pointing out negatives...but the negative comments are so few and far between that they are ridiculously hard to find.

3) turning away people who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and breaking up fights can easily be done by 2 people....I've seen it done.

4) I will not be posting in this thread again.....I've said what I had to say, and I don't really care what anyone else thinks they know.

Getting back on topic...... I'm going to say kudos to the staff for doing such a good job running the con with the limited resources you do have, and I agree in the best way to help things out is for more people to offer some of their time to help. Last year I worked/attended as a dealer and saw alot of the work you guys put into opening and closing down/cleaning up the con.

I might gofer this year if I'm not needed as much at the booth for the dealer I work for. Keep up the good work.

I don't really mind having my badge checked at the door. You're supposed to be wearing it around your neck visibly at all times. It's the rules, right? Why are people complaining?

Although those swivel connectors for the tags would be lovely so the lanyard isn't attempting to gradually suffocate me whenever the badge decides to flip around.

I don't really mind having my badge checked at the door. You're supposed to be wearing it around your neck visibly at all times. It's the rules, right? Why are people complaining?

Although those swivel connectors for the tags would be lovely so the lanyard isn't attempting to gradually suffocate me whenever the badge decides to flip around.

I think that we've run the badge checking discussion into the ground, so I'm going to close the thread.

Thanks for all the suggestions, we really do appreciate constructive criticism and feedback.