Leftover Otakon Merc

Question

25 answers to this question

What exactly happens to the left over Otakon merchandise? Will it be sold online at all?

Typically it is sold when we have tables in the dealer's room at other conventions.

The last time we had an online store it didn't really do that much business, perhaps it's time to try it again?

Open an online shop and I'll def buy... I wanted an Otakon 2008 shirt but ran out of money =[. I think ALOT of people would probably buy from the store.. to be honest I know myself and litterly 6 others who all regretted not saving a bit to buy Otakon 08 stuff.

Edited by Benjinx

Maybe opening up an eBay account or simply selling the items off the Otakon website using a PayPal shopping cart would work. Both require usage fees, but also could move merch out pretty quickly. I would probably buy a shirt if they went for sale.

I wont know our stock levels until I compare the sales sheets against our ordering numbers. I know there are usually a few things of each item left at the end of the convention, but usually the largest and smallest sizes go first.

The reason I have not been able to operate the ota-store (being the head of merchandise) is that I live in Columbus, Ohio, and the merchandise is stored in a locker closer to Baltimore. I do not have the ability to transport all of the merchandise to my location, and we have not been able to find a staffer closer to the locker to operate it.

Minimal requirements for the position would be at least a few years under your belt on staff, and familiarity with the merchandise through either publications or exhibitions staff.

I wont know our stock levels until I compare the sales sheets against our ordering numbers. I know there are usually a few things of each item left at the end of the convention, but usually the largest and smallest sizes go first.

The reason I have not been able to operate the ota-store (being the head of merchandise) is that I live in Columbus, Ohio, and the merchandise is stored in a locker closer to Baltimore. I do not have the ability to transport all of the merchandise to my location, and we have not been able to find a staffer closer to the locker to operate it.

Minimal requirements for the position would be at least a few years under your belt on staff, and familiarity with the merchandise through either publications or exhibitions staff.

Thats a bummer. I do have some eBay, Amazon and eCommerce experience, but definitely not enough. I also live in the Ohio area, but if something small that I could volunteer for or help out with, I wouldn't mind doing so.

How close to Columbus do you live? If you wanted to get together we could discuss getting you aboard next year and possibly re-opening the store even beforehand. PM me if you're interested.

While we're on the subject of an Ota-store, what other kinds of things would people like to see? I was thinking a full set of badges for a year (only to be sold after the con, of course) might interest people, especially if it was packaged nicely...

While we're on the subject of an Ota-store, what other kinds of things would people like to see? I was thinking a full set of badges for a year (only to be sold after the con, of course) might interest people, especially if it was packaged nicely...

Not possible -- we do not own the work, we are allowed to use it only for membership badges. Reselling it would violate the agreement we have with our industry friends.

Also, for years we've put out the leftovers for anyone who wants them at a certain point, and people do collect them.

Umbrellas (large golf ones) were introduced as experimental merch in Otakon 2007. A very limited quantity was made and I had never heard before this topic of them being sold out. I will definately have to consider adding them again.

They were alternating white/blue sectioned umbrellas with a cute chibi artwork of hiroko holding the umbrella with the works "OTAKON" next to it.

Okay, weird question: anyone have pics of the 2007 pins (can badges and enamel pins, please!)? I collect them, and I couldn't find that year's pins when I reorganized my collection tonight. When I think about it, I don't know if I remember unpacking them last year, or if I got them at all! There wouldn't happen to be extras out there somewhere, would there? I know I got extras of this year's pins in my grab bag, so I doubt there are any from 2007 still in stock. Frownyface.

I'm just upset that the tee-shirts sold out. I've gotten one every year I went to the con, but this year ran out when I finally got to go to the dealers room. :blush:

Usually smaller (sm/m) and larger (2x-4x) sizes sell out first in the shirts, we evaluate our numbers year to year based on our budget to try and accommodate sell-outs and such, but as always, the best solution is to make sure you get there on Friday (as far as I know, nothing sold out until more than halfway through the weekend).

Another interesting concept would be to buy a larger sized shirt (IE XL, which we never sell out of as far as I know) and doing a "mod" to either resize it, or turn it into a fashion-mod tee. My wife did this with most of her staff shirts and had people complimenting her style all weekend. All it takes usually is a pair of scissors and 10-15 minutes. if you google tshirt mod, you'll find plenty to get started with.

Edited by akicafe
Okay, weird question: anyone have pics of the 2007 pins (can badges and enamel pins, please!)? I collect them, and I couldn't find that year's pins when I reorganized my collection tonight. When I think about it, I don't know if I remember unpacking them last year, or if I got them at all! There wouldn't happen to be extras out there somewhere, would there? I know I got extras of this year's pins in my grab bag, so I doubt there are any from 2007 still in stock. Frownyface.

There was only one pin, super girl hiroko.

Found this :

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/22083...101615026jWYFkj

With the shirts that were sold out, I decided to buy a shot glass instead. Then they said I'll get a free t-shirt. I was like oh yea. Free otakon 2008 t-shirt. I was so excited. Then when I got home I looked at it and it was a 2006. I was kinda depressed. I do understand that they had to sell the 2008 ones but i got excited for nothing. But hey I got a shirt.

I now know that the first thing i should buy is a new one for that yr.

There was only one pin, super girl hiroko.

Found this :

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/22083...101615026jWYFkj

Ah, drat. I know I didn't buy that one!

Thank you!