Let me get to the point. The line for the Phoenix Wright mock trial was ridiculous. I mean, even the Death Note movie and The Girl Who Lept Through Time weren't as packed. The line was closed! But then it opened? I really didn't get it at all. </rant>

But anyway. do you think the wait was worth the panel?

Personally I think it wasn't THAT great, especially since they were short staffed. (I think their Ema Skye was sick with the flu.) But it was entertaining. Especially the auidence participation. ;)

Of the original four panelists lined up to present, one went to the hospital and two accompanied her. The presentation that went off was a much-modified, on-the-fly type of show - but I'm glad to know that they pulled it off. :P

The line confusion may have stemmed from the fact that for a few minutes no one knew if the panel was going on or not.

The mock trial was the most anticipated thing on the schedule this year for my group and unfortunately it didn't meet our expectations. Based on the description in the pocket guide, we expected a fully-scripted mock trial with video clips shown on the projection screen. What we got was a glorified 20 questions, with no use of the screen or even sound effects.

I completely understand that some of the members were sick and I sympathize. Would it have been possible to pick a person out of the crowd, hand them the script and have them read off of it or utilize some of the pre-recorded video?

Edit: Well, now I feel like a jerk :P I didn't realize 3 out of the 4 members went to the hospital.

Edited by Joran

not to be mean or overly negative. but the wait for the panel was not worth it.

what was advertised and what we got was starkly different. what was expected was a fun interactive phoenix wright trial full of desk slaming and objection yelling. what we got was a glorified game of 20 questions of i spy.

It was my understanding that they lost a couple members to food poisoning. I can't blame them for that and wished them a speedy recovery and hoped they enjoyed otakon inspite of that.

However, how it was handled could been done better. A mention of the change in plan would have adviseable. But the main thing that bothered me is why not grab an ema from the audience and have her read from the script and run the skit. it would have made it more enjoyable than attempting to ad lib a game.

If they plan to try again next year, I will plan to see it in the fully realized phoenix wright mock trial form.

I understand. Some people who didn't get in are begging for a recording or something. But when I told them what it was, they're glad they didn't miss anything.

------------------------------------------------

But even if the line was large at first, I only waited like 30 minutes at the most. I heard something about people sneaking in and such. Is there basis to this rumor?

I can't speak to cutting in line, but the crowd that gathered for this panel was gigantic. We arrived 45 minutes before the panel start time and the lines were already subdivided into three groups, sitting in the taped up blocks. We got in an hour and 15 minutes later and there were only 4-5 rows left in the back by the time we got seated.

I do have to give props to the staff. The lines were very well controlled and very orderly, despite the large amount of people.

Yes, the line for the PW panel was incredibily long (and my group left the Hellsing Ultimate 1-4 screenings half an hour early in order to get there- we were in the second block). There was a bit of confusion, and we weren't sure what was going on until the panelists announced that two people from their group were missing. I'm suprised that they even went on with it (major kudos for that), and I'm hoping that maybe next year they'll try it again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.