We've been watching them since we got back from Otakon.

While I love watching the US team and all, I would like to see some more of the action all around.

While we were watching the US girls' gymnastic team waiting... Waiting, mind you... for their turn on the vaulting horse we could heard music that we recognized from a Miyazaki film in the background. We desperately wanted to watch THAT... it was a Roumanian gymnast, maybe doing her floor routine, and it was to a tango called "Por una cabeza", which was used in a Miyazaki movie (unsure which one... Porco Rosso or Howl's?).

I know that people are questioning the synchronized diving, but the Chinese girls were great. And the Beach volleyball was ... interesting.

Is anybody watching the Canadian coverage? I heard that was better.

I have only been catching parts of it ... thats funny it's good too that anime music is even at the olympics

I looked it up it was used in Porco Rosso (which I haven't seen)

I only saw part of the mens synchronized diving ... decided it was too fast XD; I want to watch some Judo when it comes up

The men's synchronized diving was pretty cool.

As a Baltimore native, while I'm proud of Michael Phelps, at the same time I'd like to remind whoever's in charge at every local news outlet that there is still other stuff to report about!

I wish we could see more equestrian stuff.

As a Baltimore native, while I'm proud of Michael Phelps, at the same time I'd like to remind whoever's in charge at every local news outlet that there is still other stuff to report about!

And fencing...

Is Kendo an Olympic sport?

One of the men's relay races was FANTASTIC! I mean get up out of your seat awesome. I last watched volleyball and the US women got their buts served to them by Cuba but they are a powerhouse team so it makes sense. I should watch basketball as I hear our team doesn't suck like last time in Greece who know.

You know maybe because its China but I don't know, their seems to be so much more controversy this year surrounding the games.

As far as gymnastics goes, I was watching it last night... And the USA was SOOO CLOSE to pulling ahead of China in the end, but they wiped the floor with us on the floor routines. Even without the deductions for the fall, and the 3x 0.1 deductions for stepping out of bounds, (read: total 1.1 point deduction), the chinese girls had better routines, were MUCH cleaner, and did things with literally no faults.

One of the men's relay races was FANTASTIC! I mean get up out of your seat awesome. I last watched volleyball and the US women got their buts served to them by Cuba but they are a powerhouse team so it makes sense. I should watch basketball as I hear our team doesn't suck like last time in Greece who know.

You know maybe because its China but I don't know, their seems to be so much more controversy this year surrounding the games.

Sadly yes. I was brought up that this was to be a non-political thing.

And no, I'm not starting a political argument, and please do not explain to me how it is political. Been there, seen the clip at 8.

The commentators said that the US team and the Chinese girls seemed to be getting along very well.

I'm not going to explain anythign political, I don't get into those sort of arguments/conversations :)

I was just stating its sad that it may over shadows some of the competitions.

Gymnastics, I keep missing those but I love the swimming and track events more. More adrenaline in watching people compete at the moment side by side.

I am not watching the Olympics on TV. I am only watching highlights through Sportscenter. I do not want to support NBC during these two weeks because they are supporting the Chinese government who is repressing freedom. It is a political decision, but I am making it on principle. I may have to break principle or put in ear plugs, if Michael Phelps is going for eight Golds on Saturday night.

Edited by tstidm1
I am not watching the Olympics on TV. I am only watching highlights through Sportscenter. I do not want to support NBC during these two weeks because they are supporting the Chinese government who is repressing freedom. It is a political decision, but I am making it on principle. I may have to break principle or put in ear plugs, if Michael Phelps is going for eight Golds on Saturday night.

I am so excited for the marathons ( I'm a crazy XC girl :blink: ).

Anyone heard of the gymnastics controversy about the chinese gymnastics team being under-age? How some of those girls are not even 16 (the legal Olympics age for gymnastics). This has been an issue for the past few days. I've seen.

oh btw... GO SPEED SWIMMER, GO SPEED SWIMMER, GO SPEED SWIMMER GOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Phelps needs two more.

I heard SNSD after some swim meets a few days ok, but nothing I recognized recently.

Just as long as we're not subjected (and we've been spared so far) to that balderdash a few years ago (2000 or 2004) where the network felt compelled to give us all "background features" on the toils, travails, and hardships each athlete they chose to feature in this fashion had to go through to get to the Olympics.

We were talking break out the damned violins, play funereal dirges, selling their damned pets/siblings/blood to get enough money for training, their relatives who inspired them dying of cancer, selling their kidneys to get better running shoes, bicycles being stolen, you name it.

Of course, this hardship hype fell flat on its face when it came to the sailing/yachting crews from the Hamptons or Beverly Hills or wherever...... :D

Whos everyone rootin for? Im rooting for the US of course but whoever wins ill support them too and think of them as amazing.

I'm rooting to see the Best Athletes in the world showing off their stuff.

I admit to being interested in Michael Phelps winning because ... well, I like him. And I like that someone with ADHD is getting Positive Press instead of negative.

[quote name='Cousinsue' date='Aug 16 2008, 09:06 AM' post='183015'

I'm rooting to see the Best Athletes in the world showing off their stuff.

I admit to being interested in Michael Phelps winning because ... well, I like him. And I like that someone with ADHD is getting Positive Press instead of negative.

I'm sick of reading (in gmail, on NBC's Olympics website, wherever) about results that NBC hasn't gotten around to televising yet.

Sure, the internet has everything - but for NBC to post a huge photo and headline with the women's balance beam results on their Olympics-specific page? Before their coverage of the event?

AUGH. SPOILERS.

I just watched the men's quarter finals on beach volleyball a few hours ago. It was..hard core. I could never serve over 70 mph. xD Women's qymnastic was amazing. I loved seeing the US win on beam, since they totally deserved it. The men's platform was the best, though. They all did so well.

There's a lot of controversy that China has bribed the Olympic committee since they conveniently keep winning the gold during all the ties.

Same here. If anyone ever found out, the Olympics would be ruined, so they would risk it. That, and I would hope that none of the countries are that low.