2009 Thursday night idea

Since Otakon did a movie Screening on Thursday night, Here is an idea for a Thursday night event for next year. How about doing an Otakon night at Oriole Park. This would be contingent on two things A.) The orioles are home that day and B.) That it is an evening (7:05 PM or 7:35 PM) game. We won't know the Orioles schedule until December or so.

I would love to see a few hundred Otaku in the Upper Deck of Camden Yards that night. It would be paid event (say $8 with Otakon badge for an upper deck seat). It would be also cool if one of the Japanese guests or a major American VA threw out the first pitch for the game. There could be Ramen, Yakkitori and Sushi stands that evening. Who would be interested in such an idea?

Sounds like a cool idea, but highly doubt it would ever happen..........

Also,

Anime + boring Baseball, just doenst seem so fun to me. Maybe the anime would spruce it up a notche or 10

I'm not a huge baseball fan, but that actually seems cool.

Last time I went to a baseball game, my girl at the time got hit by a fly ball and ran to the concession stands everytime a left handed batter was at the plate, so I can imagine what kind of craziness a few hundred Otaku could be involved in.

I'd think cosplaying at the game would be a bad idea from my story above though.

I agree with having something on thursday night - but i think anything at the baseball park would be very expensive. personally i am not interested in baseball.

i think it would be cool to reserve a whole resturant on thursday for otakon and everyone go there in cosplay. :) [people do this anyway but instead of normal people going it would only be congoers]

This is something that can be done; corporations regularly have ticket blocks for sporting events. Speaking as a Washington Mystics season ticket holder I can vouch for this.

A better place to consider may be some place like the ESPN Zone or Hard Rock Cafe but there would have to be a sign up sheet (or something to that effect). There is a Mystic event at Dave & Busters later this month where season ticket holders get a certain amount off admission. I'm sure something like that could be worked out...but only if we (the fun Otaku) are willing to go and eat at these places.

Just a thought...

One, I like the baseball game idea for Thursday night. It sounds really fun and as a Baltimorean I love the Orioles, even if they do kinda suck. I went to a game last season too and it certainly was not expensive. It just all depends on the seats you pick.

Didn't they also Push back The Harry Potter Movie To The 17th Of July :angry: just an idea.
Didn't they also Push back The Harry Potter Movie To The 17th Of July :angry: just an idea.

Two...oh my god I didn't not realize that last night when I found out the movie release date was changed. Why, why must my two loves, Harry Potter midnight releases and Otakon always seem to conflict so in recent years. Thank god it's 12am Friday though because that means that as long as I drive to Otakon or the IMAX shows it, I can still go. I nearly had a heart attack again like when I found out about Book 7 interfering with Otakon last year. Well, it seems that my Thursday costume for next year has already been confirmed to be my Slytherin Quidditch uniform.

Edited by egyptianruin

Couldn't edit my post. The harbor does have a movie theater...

Landmark's Harbor East Cinema

645 President St., Baltimore, MD, USA - (410) 244-6636

http://www.landmarktheatres.com/market/Bal.../HarborEast.htm

Hopefully HP will be there, lol - they don't offer online ticketing yet. They do however rent out the theater, I doubt they would rent it out on opening night though and I don't think they do it for new releases.

Maybe, Otakon could get a sneak preview for Otakon members in the HD room or Landmark Theatres instead. I didn't know that the new Harry Potter movie was coming out the first day of con.

I JUST GOT THAT HARRY'S NEW DATE MESHED WITH OTAKON ;____;

Anyone know a good theater nearby to watch it at?

Ick.

Not a fan of the HP movies at all.

How is it that they made Lovegood look more beautiful than Chang?

Ridiculous.

But this isn't the time or place for that. Uhm...there may be a theatre nearby, you'll have to use Google or something to find it though. It IS downtown Baltimore after all.

Hopefully HP will be there, lol - they don't offer online ticketing yet. They do however rent out the theater, I doubt they would rent it out on opening night though and I don't think they do it for new releases.

The reason it hasn't happened would probably have something to do with schedules. When the O's have been in town for Otakon, they typically don't show up until Friday. If it were the tail end of or middle of a homestand, that'd be great.

this looks like a small independent theater. they might not show HP there.

there's a Imax theater on Light St & Key Hwy... but i dunno how far from the convention center that is

The Science Center's IMAX typically only shows educational movies, with a rare exception for G-rated releases (I saw the Lion King's re-release there several years ago). Don't plan on it getting a copy of HP.

That's sad the Virginia Air and Space Museum and Virginia Aquarium have shown Harry Potter and the Dark Night before.:( There is also a AMC theater 18 minutes away.

I couldn't edit to add the links, but these are the ones I will probably do, I usually buy my tickets in advance for White Marsh, and now that they put a Coldstone Creamery in right next door I'm all over it.

Easpoint: Right up Eastern Avenue about 15 minutes http://www.fandango.com/regaleastpointmovi...dvs/theaterpage

and

White Marsh: Right up 95 about 15 minutes http://www.fandango.com/amcloewswhitemarsh...ete/theaterpage

this is right near my house, but my husband hates the Drive-In

Bengies: Right up Eastern Avenue about 30 minutes http://www.fandango.com/bengiesdriveinthea...dvg/theaterpage

Edited by egyptianruin

there's a Imax theater on Light St & Key Hwy... but i dunno how far from the convention center that is

Edited by MissV

Sporting events are fun to attend live even if you aren't particularly interested in the sport in question. Watching world class athletes compete is an awe inspiring experience.

Anime fans should be the last group I see not having open opinions and letting their preconceived notions stop them from trying new things.

Sounds like a cool idea, but highly doubt it would ever happen..........

Also,

Anime + boring Baseball, just doenst seem so fun to me. Maybe the anime would spruce it up a notche or 10

Never seen princess nine? Anime & baseball definitely go together. More importantly Japan + baseball go together. Japanese are FANATICS over their baseball teams.

That's actually not the case at all. While they do show some Indy films they only use around 2-3 or their 8 screens for them. I have personally, since it opened only gone there to see movies, all of which were mainstream (I think I've seen about 20 in the 8 or 9 months it's been there) Including Prince Caspian, Iron Man, Speed Racer, Indiana Jones, 'The Forbidden Kingdom', and the Dark night If that's not mainstream, I don't know what is. The Theatre is very, very nice, all leather seats, super clean, and heck it's a got a bar.

As for the Imax, it's been a huge disappointment, movie wise for most baltimorons.

But I'm way off topic.

If Otakon wants to do a Baseball game why not do the Left Field Club deal where the food is all you can eat?

I kinda want to do Oofuri cosplay there.

Hmmm.. Epic baseball game vs. some movie you could see at home... Let's see here.
Hmmm.. Epic baseball game vs. some movie you could see at home... Let's see here.

If I'm reading this wrong then I apologise from the start but if you're suggesting that a premiere night movie is more boring than a baseball game then that's all a matter of taste. Some people are fans of Harry Potter and since the movie will have been pushed back from Nov. 2008 to July 2009 then I suspect that they'd really want to see it just like you and several other will really want to see the baseball game.

Back on subject though it would be fun maybe to have a mini gathering out by the waterfalls to meet up with people who we all chat with in the forums?

If I'm reading this wrong then I apologise from the start but if you're suggesting that a premiere night movie is more boring than a baseball game then that's all a matter of taste. Some people are fans of Harry Potter and since the movie will have been pushed back from Nov. 2008 to July 2009 then I suspect that they'd really want to see it just like you and several other will really want to see the baseball game.

Back on subject though it would be fun maybe to have a mini gathering out by the waterfalls to meet up with people who we all chat with in the forums?

I got 4 people in my group, ALL who want to go to see HP so if you want to meet up, I'm there!

add me and my hardcore friend - that makes 6. i hope to have a hogswarts cosplay for this.

oh i hope there's a theater walking distance fron the con that's showing HP

The closet AMC is like 15 minutes away in a car and I know you can order tickets online. Someone said something about another theater but it not having online purchasing.

15 min by car is kinda far if you're walking it. and would this be Thursday at midnight or Friday at midnight?

well i do love me my baseball and i know at the phillies games you can get cheap tickets were talking like $10-$16 tickets but i would definitly love to see the new harry potter more

if theres enough people that want to ge in on this i would be willing to rent a trolly or bus or something along those lines and we could get a group thing heading down there but as i am not a rich man i would need a head count before hand and would need people to pay me back once again this would be if we had enough people on it to make it cheap enough for everyone

and hey if nothing else why dont we just get a butt-load of people to meet up at the harbour around where that outdoor theater thingy is you guys know what im talking about?

Sushi and ramen stands at the Yards aside, it would rock just to see Otakon working something out with the Camden Yards for a "discount-with-badge" special on Thursday night. If we get an epic enough guest for '09, I'm sure an opening pitch throw by said guest would be rather feasible.

Somehow I don't think many would want to stay up until 3 in the morning the night before the first day of the convention just to see a movie, anyway. Guess that's their choice. @_@

Edited by Otaku Ru

I think that is has gotten a bit off topic, judging what other people want to do on their Thursday night. Why don't we get back to the topic at hand and make more suggestions on what some groups can do.

I don't know how many people would risk some of their cosplay outfits, but it'd be really fun and great photo op to see some of those cosplayers on the boats in the marina.

I don't know how many people would risk some of their cosplay outfits, but it'd be really fun and great photo op to see some of those cosplayers on the boats in the marina.

I think a picture of a water taxi or some other boat full of cosplayers would be pretty amusing. But like you said, it would put the costumes at risk. Chances are the pictures would come out better during daylight, too.

Somehow I don't think many would want to stay up until 3 in the morning the night before the first day of the convention just to see a movie, anyway. Guess that's their choice. @_@
Edited by Duelistbluerose

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.