2009 Thursday night idea

lol alright im gonna assume my idea was read and people though what thats dumb but its ok im not bitter

well at anyrate we got a looooong time to figure out whats going on that night im all for a baseball game or harry potter it would sweet if they could get a room for it the night before and think about it it really doesnt matter if its not otaku related cause think about it this way its the night before the con so it doesnt have to be otaku

well at anyrate we got a looooong time to figure out whats going on that night im all for a baseball game or harry potter it would sweet if they could get a room for it the night before and think about it it really doesnt matter if its not otaku related cause think about it this way its the night before the con so it doesnt have to be otaku

Er, sorry? Our mission statement is about east Asian pop culture, and we try to incorporate that into our programming. Although I'm sure many of our members are looking forward to the new Harry Potter movie (I am, too), it simply doesn't make sense for us to budget the necessary human, monetary, and spatial resources for something that's not Asian in any way, shape, or form, when we could instead put that money, those people, and that room to use for things that are directly relevant to Asian culture.

Just because it's not technically the con yet doesn't mean that official Thursday night programming/events can be off the wall. :)

Er, sorry? Our mission statement is about east Asian pop culture, and we try to incorporate that into our programming. Although I'm sure many of our members are looking forward to the new Harry Potter movie (I am, too), it simply doesn't make sense for us to budget the necessary human, monetary, and spatial resources for something that's not Asian in any way, shape, or form, when we could instead put that money, those people, and that room to use for things that are directly relevant to Asian culture.

Just because it's not technically the con yet doesn't mean that official Thursday night programming/events can be off the wall. :)

Tropic Thunder was a deal worked out by the promoter we work with to do those ticket giveaways all year. It was offsite and outside the convention, and was presented as a thank-you to our members for supporting Allied's events year-round.

Quite different to supporting a mega-blockbuster mainstream movie by displacing normal convention operations and programming.

It could be something like what happened with Tropic Thunder. It being held at the Charles or the Landmark and done as a preview. A Harry Potter preview shouldn't disrupt the pre-convention things.

One of the reasons why I proposed an Otakon night at the Orioles would be because it wouldn't disrupt the convention preparations. The reason why I want an Orioles night is that it is closer to the convention center.

Maybe the Dragon Ball Z movie will be out in time for a Sneak Peak.

Oh and the movie in White Marsh has a banner saying it's getting IMAX, of course it has no other details, but just seeing that I might not have to go to Philly for a good IMAX makes me giddy as a school girl.

*giggles*

It could be something like what happened with Tropic Thunder. It being held at the Charles or the Landmark and done as a preview. A Harry Potter preview shouldn't disrupt the pre-convention things.

One of the reasons why I proposed an Otakon night at the Orioles would be because it wouldn't disrupt the convention preparations. The reason why I want an Orioles night is that it is closer to the convention center.

I think this is a cool idea. I believe someone said the O's usually aren't playing on Thursdays at home, but that's still a good idea.

Maybe some big pre-Otakon dinner for forum members or something would be cool too. I know probably not financially feasible but it's a thought.

Edited by Otaku Ru
  • 2 weeks later...

An update on the original idea of this thread. Thursday Night July 16th is the last night of the All Star break and an off night for the O's. The original idea is a no go for this reason. If people have other ideas, I think the thread should continue for that reason.

well I don't know about anyone else but I'm thinking of spending the time after I get my badge by playing in the Hilton's pool, tire myself out and go to bed then.

so Pool parties at you hotels sound like a good plan :)

well I don't know about anyone else but I'm thinking of spending the time after I get my badge by playing in the Hilton's pool, tire myself out and go to bed then.

so Pool parties at you hotels sound like a good plan :)

• 4 months later...

I can't see this happening, just because most people there would not care about anime, japanese guests, or voice actors, and would probably just boo them off. I don't know, no offense, but this idea just doesn't make any sense to me. Just because you think its cool, doesn't mean anyone else would. Its like baseball fans saying it would be great to have baseball stars doing autographs and shows at otakon, and hot dog stands in the center. I just don't see it being realistic, at all.

It should also be noted that you can take the Light Rail to Hunt Valley (although it's a bit of a long ride - not too long, though) they have a 12 screen Regal Cinemas there.

That's some useful info. A movie meet-up would be pretty cool.

I would actually.

I happen to be arriving to Otakon on Thursday this year for the first time.

I think that would be quite amusing.

And entertaining.

If this does happen, can we have team chants....?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.