Publications Feedback Thread

I'm pretty sure that Kat, our Publications chief, is taking a well-deserved break from the Ota-madness, so I'll go ahead and start this thread on her behalf.

The Publications section is in charge of producing just about everything that gets printed by Otakon. We write and compile the articles in the program book and gather event descriptions for the pocket guide. We design the layout of the program book, the pocket guide, the errata sheet, and the bag those things come in. We design the badges and the wristbands. We make the signs marking the entrance to each room and we make the signs that tell you where the end of the line is and what you can't bring inside. We order and commission the art for everything that's sold at the Otakon Merchandise table in the Dealer's Room. We design the member T-shirts, the gofer T-shirts, and the staff T-shirts.

We'd like to know what went right as well as what went wrong. That way, we know what y'all actually want us to do, as opposed to just what you want us to stop doing. ^^;

It's more of an opinion thing, but the mascots don't look happy on the Program at all. Now, I know I wouldn't be happy if I was stuck in Pennsylvania either, but it's not very encouraging when you get your swag bag after registration and pull out a bunch of frowning faces. Doesn't set a good precedent imo.

The program felt lacking this year. It was less bright than 2007, it didn't have things like the restaurant guide and standard informative article about asian cinema or whatever fun topic that pops up.

I loved the t-shirts this year and already wore mine since getting home. I have to say, I didn't really like the artwork on the back of the sweatshirts. I was given one as a gift and will wear it as such, but it's not something I would've bought for myself. Something more like the design on the tshirts would've been better. :D

the program was missing info on stuff that changed, which is understandable, but might I suggest putting a flyer sheet with info on the changed shows and panels in the bag? I'm not sure if that's possible, and I know some stuff that changed last minute, but it would have been helpful. Also a note in the pocket guide saying updated schedules can be found at information would have been nice. I had no idea updated schedules were even available until sunday morning, and by then they had run out.

Staff shirts were awesome, but as was mentioned on the feedback forum it was hard to pick them out of a crowd. Maybe a brighter color that stands out would've helped?

I was glad that there was a badge of something i recognized for my first year. :)

I like the errata sheet being like a newspaper.

I think it would be nice if the schedule and the vital information in the pocket guide went together. Maybe on the separate sheets with updated schedules that gets printed on Friday and later, include the usual times (like the con layout page w/ hours in the pocket guide) on the back?

I liked the errata sheet/schedule a lot. I carry around my Otakon bag everywhere I go and it was a good size for me to find quickly and consult. I ended up not using the pocket guide that much because I could basically figure out what everything was based on the title of the panel or video.

I'm unsure if the schedule had the opening/closing hours for the Dealer's Room and Artist's Alley, but if they weren't there, it would be nice for them to be there :mellow:

At first, I didn't like how the schedule and the program guide were seperate, but it made sense that the errata sheet would be included to accomodate information about guests and schedule changes that happened after the program went to print. Other than that I don't have many complaints. I thought the front of the program was totally funny because I am from Pennsylvania - gave me a laugh! :)

Edited by Samiki

Hiroko and Hiroshi (our mascots) look confused on the program book cover because they were supposed to go back to State College, PA in 1994 (the year of the first Otakon) and they ended up in prehistory. I don't think you'd be happy either. A lot of the artwork for this year centered around a theme of time travel in appreciation of our 15th year.

The schedule is usually included in the pocket guide, but this year as the result of last-minute scheduling changes, it was decided to only include the schedule as part of the errata sheet so that people weren't confused. The pocket guide has to be printed well before the errata sheet does. Room hours (Dealer's room, Artists Alley, etc) were in the front inside cover of the pocket guide. Because of including the schedule in the errata sheet, almost all of the changes from that schedule were changes made a day or two before the convention, or during the convention.

In addition to all the printed materials, Publications also runs the Otakon PhotoSuite, so if you happened to make it to the PhotoSuite, please let us know how it went.

The schedule is usually included in the pocket guide, but this year as the result of last-minute scheduling changes, it was decided to only include the schedule as part of the errata sheet so that people weren't confused. The pocket guide has to be printed well before the errata sheet does. Room hours (Dealer's room, Artists Alley, etc) were in the front inside cover of the pocket guide. Because of including the schedule in the errata sheet, almost all of the changes from that schedule were changes made a day or two before the convention, or during the convention.

I know a lot of TCG's weren't happy with the TCG shirts. They didn't say Otakon or TCG on them. I hope they come back with TCG and Otakon on them next year. I grew to like them because I think it got a couple of people interested in gofering.

I know a lot of TCG's weren't happy with the TCG shirts. They didn't say Otakon or TCG on them. I hope they come back with TCG and Otakon on them next year. I grew to like them because I think it got a couple of people interested in gofering.

Or even gofer, but they do still grow on ya.

I add my preference for including the opening/closing times with the main schedule in a legible format (thankfully had brought the official PDF with me,) and maybe a very basic outline of the map beside it. However, I would also point out that having the 5-5:30 block duplicated threw me a lot more than expected going in.

The plan with the gofer shirts was to do something more like the shirts on Threadless - something more design-oriented that would have people wondering where you got that shirt, versus something that just advertised that you were an Otakon Gofer/TCG. I guess some of us have enough Otakon-branded clothing that we thought people would appreciate something clever. It was discussed whether or not to include a reference to Otakon/TCG/Gofer that worked with the overall design of the shirt, but in the end a quick decision had to be made to make sure the shirts were made in time for the convention.

For this being my first Otakon, I found it kinda clumsy that the map and the schedule were on separate documents. I liked the newspaper thing, but maybe just have a paper that has the opening/closing info for different rooms, the schedule and the map on 1 document. Makes a bit more sense then trying to carry around 3 documents when you are only using 1 page pretty much on each.

Other than that, I found all three documents very well layed out and professional looking. Good job!

For this being my first Otakon, I found it kinda clumsy that the map and the schedule were on separate documents. I liked the newspaper thing, but maybe just have a paper that has the opening/closing info for different rooms, the schedule and the map on 1 document. Makes a bit more sense then trying to carry around 3 documents when you are only using 1 page pretty much on each.

Other than that, I found all three documents very well layed out and professional looking. Good job!

Yeah, running out of time was a major factor on this piece of art. I only assisted in getting the art together so I don't know where exactly the tag line came in. But if you guys want to "mod" your shirts you can get a stencil for "TCG" and spray paint some letters onto the back.. That's if the section head for gofers is ok with it.

Hiroko and Hiroshi (our mascots) look confused on the program book cover because they were supposed to go back to State College, PA in 1994 (the year of the first Otakon) and they ended up in prehistory.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.