Hotel Poll: Lower Price or Later Annoucement?

Price v. Annoucement (Just Opinion)  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather have: A later annoucement for Otakon hotels which would let you get in touch with your fellow Otaku beforehand...but at a higher Con rate per room...or an earlier annoucement with a lower Con rate but you don't have as much time to contact your fellow Otaku?

• Lower room rate! (means more money for me!)
    • Later annoucement! (means I have more time to plan with my friends!)

Question

24 answers to this question

I prefer the lower rate. I'm in a position that I could afford the entire room myself, though, so even if I don't get others into the room it's not a hardship. Having people come along is always fun, of course, but if I can't get others to go along then that's how things go. :D

well we can't book until we all talk and get everything figured out, and i can't get in contact with them for about a week, so i can't book, and i end up hotel-less like right now :D

but i suppose lower prices are always worth it. i'll work it out in the end

but i'm still going!!! i even know my cosplay for next year!!

Edited by ~Ametatsu~

The lower rate definitely!

Conventions are such a big part of our summer, we schedule the rest of summer around them. We have a pretty good idea how to plan things out now.

Last year we booked a room as soon as Otakon '07 ended. We didn't bother waiting for the con rate. We just wanted a place to stay the following year. Then half our group dropped out a few months later. But it all worked out because I had a friend who said she had a miserable lodging experience at the last con. We offered her and her friend the space, she took it, and we had a total blast. We're already planning to room together next year. The hotel is booked. If they can't make it we'll find someone else...or we can wing it alone. The con rate for the Days is so good, we just might be able to afford it.

Voice of dissension here: I actually know in advance which hotel I'd like, and I choose it every year despite its price, which is usually about $100 more than some of the others. I don't want to be all "money is no object" because it very much is, but at the same time, I'd rather pay more to know that my hotel isn't going to be sold out when I try to reserve a room, you know? Especially since, with this new guessing system in place, it's very likely that while I had to book outside the Otakon block (at an outrageous markup, since only the "luxury" rooms were left), a lot of the people who reserved rooms at my hotel of choice were only doing so because Day's and Holiday were full.

Seeing how I live on my own, pay rent and my own bills, I'd rather have the hotel rate be lower. I know there are Otakon goers who are in the same situation as me, but I think the majority of the con attendees are high school or college students. Without the expenses of having to be completely financially independent, they can save money much easier for a hotel. Most hotels give you plenty of time to cancel in advance without being charged a penalty fee. So even if you book the room(s), it gives you plenty of time to sort things out with friends.

If you are reserving for four people, you can change names when you get them and put in Guest one, GUest Two and Guest Three for now. I did that for Anime Expo and edit the names as I got them.

Cheaper rate because a reservation can always be canceled unless you book someplace like the hotel website where they offer discounted packages for paying in advance. With the new system in place a reservation costs you nothing but your credit card number (must have an expiration date beyond the con) and the time to make it. My husband and I waited to long last year so missed out on reservations and I wish we hadn't - it was okay traveling from home but I had to get up a lot earlier than normal because of my pregnancy. The good thing about not staying in a hotel is we saved money on kenneling our dogs. The con is like a mini vacation for us so we budget for it all year.

Was tempted to vote for both (partially only because we could,) but my answer is two-fold: how big a difference? and all things being equal (or proportionate) I prefer a later start for a few reasons:

1. It lets more hotels get signed. This gives a real option, rather than book now because it is open, book again later if cheaper, or closer, or the hotel I actually want, and then drop the extra room(s) .... eventually if I remember in time to dodge the cancelation penalty timeframe.

2. It gets more people ready. I love competative shopping. Where is the fun of it if only a select few can quickly slam the doors shut on all of the options? Where is the blood in that?

3. In the grand scheme of things the price difference shouldn't be worth it. Granted they might have actually had a slight give there this year because it happens after the 50/52 week scheduling window opens, but keeping folks out of those rooms likely wasn't much of an issue for the hotels. It's not like any other event would be crazy enough to try going up against us, and since we are already into the booking windows, these contracts should have been locked up for some time now. This last part makes the "limited" number of places on the block rather surprising.

Briefly:

What I meant by 'Later' refers to what has been said by one of the admins in another thread.

When Otakon negotiates room rates there are several things - specifically consessions - that are negatiated. One of the major trade offs is if the hotel gives a lower rate, then the annoucement of the con rate being available can be made by the hotel itself as soon as they wish to. That means (among other things) that before Otakon has annouced what hotels have been signed for Otakon on the website.

On the flip side if Otakon puts in the contract that the hotel cannot announce - or even accept - reservations on those dates at the con rate until Otakon announces it, the trade off is a higher con rate.

Sorry about my not being clear..!

:(

Thank you for the explanation, that clears up everything.

But one has to wonder why can't Otakon just "negotiate" things "slower" or something--obviously not every single hotel that will have a con block announced their rates right at the con (Day's Inn for example).

I guess in practice if one can still book a hotel room in the block, at one of the inner harbor hotels, couple weeks after the next year's date announcement, then whatever is cheaper is better IMO.

But one has to wonder why can't Otakon just "negotiate" things "slower" or something--obviously not every single hotel that will have a con block announced their rates right at the con (Day's Inn for example).

Part of the problem with negotiating things slower is that the hotels will continue to allow room reservations during our negotiations. This means that the number of rooms available for us to contract a lower rate for gets smaller. For example if we don't have nearby hotels like the Days Inn contracted and signed before we release the next Otakon's dates, it will likely end up sold out just as quickly, but now everyone is paying more. Good for the hotels, not so good for our members.

Part of the problem with negotiating things slower is that the hotels will continue to allow room reservations during our negotiations. This means that the number of rooms available for us to contract a lower rate for gets smaller. For example if we don't have nearby hotels like the Days Inn contracted and signed before we release the next Otakon's dates, it will likely end up sold out just as quickly, but now everyone is paying more. Good for the hotels, not so good for our members.

I agree about getting the blocks in faster, but does a few days make that much of a difference?

And just to think outside the box a second--there's nothing wrong with announcing the new date for next year's Otakon before the start of this year's. I think as long as you give everyone a fair shot getting a room (by not doing it AT THE CON), you're fine.

Edited by rotinoma
I agree about getting the blocks in faster, but does a few days make that much of a difference?

As I recall, one year (was it last year?) the contract wasn't finalized with some hotels (and thus no con rates yet available) and a couple were sold out in a few hours after con announcement.

Edited by Loki

As I recall, one year (was it last year?) the contract wasn't finalized with some hotels (and thus no con rates yet available) and a couple were sold out in a few hours after con announcement.

I voted for the lower hotel prices myself, but could've easily chosen both. I have no problem with next years con dates being announced at Closing Ceremonies, it's better than waiting in anticipation for the announcement. However this rush to reserve a room just after the con? :P Ridiculous.

I've never even contemplated reserving a room this early in previous years. Even last year a room in my group wasn't reserved until November & we were still able to get a room in the Inner Harbor. I don't think I can say the same for this year, thus why I have a room reserved already.

As far as prices are concerned, the only hotel I've seen to have lowered it's con rates from last year is the Days Inn. All the other hotels have either raised their con rate or charge $20 apiece for the 3rd & 4th person where they didn't up until now. I'm paying $34 more next year & couldn't even get in at my preferred hotel. They quoted me $209 a night as the con rate, when it was $151 this year! :shock:

Playing the reserve a room game has become more challenging this year in my opinion...

I voted for the lower hotel prices myself, but could've easily chosen both. I have no problem with next years con dates being announced at Closing Ceremonies, it's better than waiting in anticipation for the announcement. However this rush to reserve a room just after the con? :P Ridiculous.

I've never even contemplated reserving a room this early in previous years. Even last year a room in my group wasn't reserved until November & we were still able to get a room in the Inner Harbor. I don't think I can say the same for this year, thus why I have a room reserved already.

As far as prices are concerned, the only hotel I've seen to have lowered it's con rates from last year is the Days Inn. All the other hotels have either raised their con rate or charge $20 apiece for the 3rd & 4th person where they didn't up until now. I'm paying $34 more next year & couldn't even get in at my preferred hotel. They quoted me $209 a night as the con rate, when it was $151 this year! :shock:

Playing the reserve a room game has become more challenging this year in my opinion...

As much as i wanted to vote for the cheaper rate, actually having time to reserve a room (and know full well that friends will be sharing the bill) is a big plus for me. by the time we got home (we live in Houston) and online again, most of the hotels were already booked. in an effort to get at least SOMETHING reserved, a friend of mine and I went on separate hunts for rooms. i managed to grab a two-bedroom suite for the weekend, but he only managed to get one room for Friday (and Friday only) at our preferred hotel.

le sigh, le sigh.

Since I live right outside of Philadelphia, I didn't have any problems jumping on the new room reservation website and ordering a room on sunday when I got home from the convention.

Truthfully, I wouldn't mind either way. I'm starting a job where even if the three other people who come to Otakon didn't want to go, I could still afford the room I reserved by myself. But, I know for a fact that one of them is coming..but we'd still only use one bed. ;) Worst case scenario is that only the two of us are confirmed until the week or so before the convention. I'm sure one of my other friends would pick up an extra spot or two in our room.

I think that because of previous years and the hassle of rooms going up right away, I'd lean toward a later announcement..but I got a room at the Holiday Inn from Thursday till Sunday..so I'm not complaining that they went up quickly.

And with that..I'm done rambling. Back to Castle Crashers. :P

Once I saw the room rates for this year, communication didn't really matter anyway since we'd easily be able to afford it by just bringing people we knew in the area. With room rates like these, I really see no reason to overstuff unless you're really completely dirt poor. We only have 4 people in our room this year and we're going to love it :)