Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mynameisru

Otakon 2009 Suggestions

I thought this would be a good idea so we don't have a thread full of locked and dead suggestions!

Post your suggestions for 2009 here!

cosplay chess, anyone? i know this idea's been tossed around, and it'd be really cool to see it actually happen :blush:

although i realize it would take up a LOT of space, making it hard to accomodate you

cosplay chess, anyone? i know this idea's been tossed around, and it'd be really cool to see it actually happen :blush:

although i realize it would take up a LOT of space, making it hard to accomodate you

I'm sorry but I have to suggest that the dance be moved to a larger area (one with clearly defined entrances and exits). I know that there really isn't any other place for it inside the convention center so all I can hope for is that something moves to the Hilton that makes room for it (since it's too loud and too late to put it in the hotel).

I'm sorry but I have to suggest that the dance be moved to a larger area (one with clearly defined entrances and exits). I know that there really isn't any other place for it inside the convention center so all I can hope for is that something moves to the Hilton that makes room for it (since it's too loud and too late to put it in the hotel).

How 'bout a Nerf War? :D

that sounds as dangerous as handing everyone their own personal yaoi paddle....

i would like to see more japanese cultural panels/events like the rakugo: cooking demonstrations, geisha culture, Go playing, explanations of japanese mythology/religion in anime, street fashion, etc

Guest Lind L. Tailor

more *serious* video game panels

i went to the panel for the 'tales of' games and it was hosted by a bunch of 16 year old girls basically just giggling over what characters were hottest and whatnot, i was not amused

the silent hill panel in 2007 was much the same way, i didn't even bother checking it out this year

How 'bout a Nerf War? :D

As fun as that would be, it would be a massive violation of the disruptive behavior policy..not to mention an extreme safety precaution with people trampling around...

How 'bout a Nerf War? :(

that sounds as dangerous as handing everyone their own personal yaoi paddle....

i would like to see more japanese cultural panels/events like the rakugo: cooking demonstrations, geisha culture, Go playing, explanations of japanese mythology/religion in anime, street fashion, etc

Working on the cultural stuff.

As for the other -- I doubt we'll see a nerf war, but I also can't imagine them being even a tiny fraction as dangerous as those damned paddles.

Bring back the giant Hall D and Hall C main events room from last year!

Also bring back the multiple screens for the AMV contest showings. Me being a short person, it was much easier to have a good view over everyones heads with 5 screens last year.

My only suggestion for Ota09 is please, please, please bring in more Japanese Seiyuu and Character designers! ;_; One of the biggest things I look forward to every year is the guests - I'm not a fan of dubs, but squeal like a schoolgirl at original VAs.

Second suggestion - why not open the other lobby in the left building for registration, just temporarily on Thursday night and Friday morning, to help the line move better?

Otherwise, I super enjoy the con. :D Everything is really pleasant.

i went to the panel for the 'tales of' games and it was hosted by a bunch of 16 year old girls basically just giggling over what characters were hottest and whatnot, i was not amused

the silent hill panel in 2007 was much the same way, i didn't even bother checking it out this year

I'd love to see an Amigurumi panel. Culture and Cute all rolled into one.

I've been playing with needles and hooks since I was a tot and ever since Debbie Stoller unleashed the "Stitch 'n Bitch" series, knitting and crocheting has increased in popularity...mostly among high school/college aged geeky types. I'd bet you'd have a good audience for it. :)

AnimeNEXT has a regular plushie making workshop and an Otaku Craft Hour where people can work on plushies or amigurumi or just do any sort of craft as they please. I've been to the plushie workshop and it was PACKED with a waiting list in case people who signed up didn't show. Unfortunately I've never attended OCH so I can't speak for the attendance there.

I'd actually volunteer to do it myself...but while I know how to make a doll...I've never actually completed a doll.

How 'bout a Nerf War? :)

As fun as that would be, it would be a massive violation of the disruptive behavior policy..not to mention an extreme safety precaution with people trampling around...

Not to sound rude or anything but for things like Cosplay Chess and japanese cultural panels/events like the rakugo: cooking demonstrations, geisha culture, Go playing, explanations of japanese mythology/religion in anime, street fashion, We at AnimeUSA do things like this and we even have a hard time putting the events and hosting them a bit hard and we are a mid lvl con now. So for a huge con like Otakon to pull it off my best advise is For Ota to ask other cons to either help out with pulling the events off or have their staff take notes and stuff at other cons and get advise on what to do

Not to sound rude or anything but for things like Cosplay Chess and japanese cultural panels/events like the rakugo: cooking demonstrations, geisha culture, Go playing, explanations of japanese mythology/religion in anime, street fashion, We at AnimeUSA do things like this and we even have a hard time putting the events and hosting them a bit hard and we are a mid lvl con now. So for a huge con like Otakon to pull it off my best advise is For Ota to ask other cons to either help out with pulling the events off or have their staff take notes and stuff at other cons and get advise on what to do

Oh, that's standard practice. : )

Of course we do that.

Our second Game Show, The Otakon Game Show, run by Chris Ochs was taken and modified from the game show done by Ryan Gavigan at A-Cen. It ran for years, Ryan knew about it, and attended. He was always welcome!

We've also done some of those cultural events/panels in the past, which great success. Part of the problem is that we don't want to do the same things over and over and over again. But things do cycle, and we do listen to what the members say on this and other forums.

My only suggestion for Ota09 is please, please, please bring in more Japanese Seiyuu and Character designers! ;_; One of the biggest things I look forward to every year is the guests - I'm not a fan of dubs, but squeal like a schoolgirl at original VAs.

Second suggestion - why not open the other lobby in the left building for registration, just temporarily on Thursday night and Friday morning, to help the line move better?

Otherwise, I super enjoy the con. :) Everything is really pleasant.

Re: the lobby in the left building, will take that into account as a suggestion for lining.

We have, however, used that for registration *and* for pre-reg in the past, and would prefer not to split out staff that way again.

What Sue said.

In addition to "official" visits (such as when our senior staffers attend Anime Expo in an official capacity), we have a massive amount of staff who work other conventions -- and quite a few of them ARE the chairs or senior leadership of other conventions. I would bet a dozen chocolate donuts that we probably have more current convention chairpersons working as staff at Otakon than at any other con in the US, and that's not counting our OWN former chairs working the ranks, or the "teams" we use from other organizations.

We listen. We exchange information and ideas frequently. We certainly don't believe that we have the ONLY good ways of doing things.

Crossfertilization is vital, and it goes both ways. Smaller cons can sometimes innovate in ways that we can't, while we can make grand efforts that they can't. There are MANY panelists who test out their panel ideas at smaller cons where the stakes aren't as grand, and then they give the panel at Otakon where the attendance at a particular panel might be more than the total attendance at the con where they tried the panel first.

But the stuff about working with the Smithsonian and the Embassy -- those seeds have been planted for years now, and are finally bearing fruit.

Might I suggest another sort of special offer for pre-registrants on Thursday night? The Tropic Thunder event was a pretty cool idea, IMO.

What about getting local business involved? Such as having discounts for con go-ers who show their badge? Local bars, restaurants, etc? Good for local businesses and good for us!

What about getting local business involved? Such as having discounts for con go-ers who show their badge? Local bars, restaurants, etc? Good for local businesses and good for us!

I suggest an Otaku Fund.

A charitable fund that Otakon would run, funded by people willing to toss in an extra buck or more when paying for pre-registration.

Not like I'm loaded or anything, but on the other hand, it wouldn't kill me to pay an extra few bucks at pre-reg, knowing that the money was going to help someone less fortunate than me.

Or is there already something like this going on with Otakon?

cosplay chess, anyone? i know this idea's been tossed around, and it'd be really cool to see it actually happen :P

cosplay chess, anyone? i know this idea's been tossed around, and it'd be really cool to see it actually happen :P

I think this would be epic if it was Lelouch vs Light playing in charecter. :D

cosplay chess, anyone? i know this idea's been tossed around, and it'd be really cool to see it actually happen ;)

I think this would be epic if it was Lelouch vs Light playing in charecter. :P

I think this would be epic if it was Lelouch vs Light playing in charecter. :P

Until the yaoi-obsessed fanficfreaks showed up. =___=

Not sure if this has ever been suggested as I haven't been lurking on the forums much before this year, but I'm curious as to if the con has ever looked into the feasibility of doing some kind of a live webcast panel with a Japanese guest from Japan.

I know the logistics would be heck but I think it might be a neat idea to propose to some of the guests that would want to attend the convention but couldn't make the commitment to fly all the way over to our side of the world.

Just an idea that came to me in the shower the other day, and like I said not very likely. But if anyone could pull something like this off it would be Otakon.

Not sure if this has ever been suggested as I haven't been lurking on the forums much before this year, but I'm curious as to if the con has ever looked into the feasibility of doing some kind of a live webcast panel with a Japanese guest from Japan.

I know the logistics would be heck but I think it might be a neat idea to propose to some of the guests that would want to attend the convention but couldn't make the commitment to fly all the way over to our side of the world.

Just an idea that came to me in the shower the other day, and like I said not very likely. But if anyone could pull something like this off it would be Otakon.

A question posed about wireless internet in the BCC comes to mind. They may very well be ABLE to do this. The cost may just be prohibitive. This is all from what I remember of the wireless internet question though so take with a grain of salt.

Put the industry panels in a bigger room. Putting the Bandai panel in Panel 2 this year, I believe it was, was ridiculous; for something as big as that, you should allot a room that can actually handle the huge crowd it's going to get.

Inform the gofer/staffer at the end of the line that there are 2 separate lines for registration on friday (coming from opposite sides of the convention).

Put the industry panels in a bigger room. Putting the Bandai panel in Panel 2 this year, I believe it was, was ridiculous; for something as big as that, you should allot a room that can actually handle the huge crowd it's going to get.

Typically we do not get such a large turnout for industry panels; panel 2 has long been pretty much just fine for the industry panels it has held. Typically, we run all the industry panels in Panel 2, and guest panels tend to go into 3 & 4.

There will probably always be instances where the panel room turns out to be the wrong size for the turnout. Industry panels in particular tend to be pretty free-form and we don't always know in advance what they're going to show -- and thus what the turnout will be.

I think the rave should be move to the game room or dealers room there huge spaces and enough room for dancing but where would the games go? i'm not sure but just a thought

I think the rave should be move to the game room or dealers room there huge spaces and enough room for dancing but where would the games go? i'm not sure but just a thought

The DR is 92,000 square feet. Definitely don't need that much space for the rave. Same can be said about the Game Room. There's already rumors of relocating the rave to the new hotel space, anyway.

I still think such a loud event should stay in the convention center. That's not to say that it shouldn't move; it should. A more tame event could get pushed there to make room for where the dance goes.

A sparring or Boffer Weapons circle would be awesome.

Anime Re-Dubbing (where animes without the voice track are redubbed in real time by audience members) would be cool.

DO XIII's panels would be great. NYAF's Spoiler: The Panel got like 500 people in the room, and they could do even better at Otakon.

Anime Parliament... definitley.

Some sort of Martial Arts demonstration.

Rock Band on a concert stage! I was at another con that did this and it was SO much fun. They put a smaller tv/monitor in front of you with the game on it, and BIG screens in back of you with the game on it, and the audio was put through the concert stage speakers. That was SO much fun. Its like being a real rock star!

I'd be *extremely* surprised if we ever had a sparring circle; the liability concerns are HUGE because there is great potential for injury.

We have had martial arts demonstrations, however.

We had a live dubbing panel with Mike Sinterniklaas (of NYAV post) last year, and will probably have something similar this year.

I like the idea of rock band on a stage -- but building a stage is a bit more costly than you might think. Not ruling it out, though.

I'd be *extremely* surprised if we ever had a sparring circle; the liability concerns are HUGE because there is great potential for injury.

We had a live dubbing panel with Mike Sinterniklaas (of NYAV post) last year, and will probably have something similar this year.

I like the idea of rock band on a stage -- but building a stage is a bit more costly than you might think. Not ruling it out, though.

Awwww man no sparring circle. NYAF had it? even if its padded and you sign liability waivers and stuff? Man I love sparring.

Still though I'd love to see rock band on stage ^_^ so if you can manage that would be boss.

Awwww man no sparring circle. NYAF had it? even if its padded and you sign liability waivers and stuff? Man I love sparring.

Still though I'd love to see rock band on stage ^_^ so if you can manage that would be boss.

If we ran a sparring circle, we'd need to find a good number of staffers who were qualified to run them. Not just anybody can start a match and make sure that nobody gets hurt. It's a nice idea that I'd, personally, like to see happen - but there are a few key issues blocking it. Otakon isn't fight club, if you want to do something like that you'll have to go outside the con.

Thanks for the suggestion.

And by "outside the con", he means "don't actually do it anywhere nearby, because people will assume it's part of our activities". We are usually the biggest thing in the city when we're there, and anything that happens that weekend generally reflects on us.

We have had martial arts demos in the past and will likely do so in the future. I'd like to see a basic kata workshop or something like that at con, and there are several people who've been moderately interested in doing a Yoga workshop. Most likely we'd work with an established nearby school.

And by "outside the con", he means "don't actually do it anywhere nearby, because people will assume it's part of our activities". We are usually the biggest thing in the city when we're there, and anything that happens that weekend generally reflects on us.

We have had martial arts demos in the past and will likely do so in the future. I'd like to see a basic kata workshop or something like that at con, and there are several people who've been moderately interested in doing a Yoga workshop. Most likely we'd work with an established nearby school.

Bring back the giant Hall D and Hall C main events room from last year!

Also bring back the multiple screens for the AMV contest showings. Me being a short person, it was much easier to have a good view over everyones heads with 5 screens last year.

Better maps.

I swear, it took me about an hour just to find the freakin' Art Alley. And that was going from person to person asking where it was. x-x And then...we finally got in the general area, and they told us we couldn't come in that way. So we went back and they told us we couldn't go back IN the way we came. So we were stuck outside cause neither side would let us in.