Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mynameisru

Otakon 2009 Suggestions

Thanks for your helpful and courteous reply.

From the Otakon web page

Why don't you guys turn on all of the escalators?

We've tried. Trust us on that. But many of the BCC escalators are old and aren't able to put up with the heavy use that Otakon and its members inflict on them. There are some escalators that only have a top step weight restriction of 193 lbs while others have 450 lb weight restriction. We will do our best to make sure as many escalators as possible are running. However the ones we and the BCC have flagged as being unable to handle the stresses our members put on them will be turned off. If you cannot climb stairs for the course of the weekend, please ask to be directed to the Special Needs booth at registration where you can receive a sticker that will allow you access to the elevators. However rest assured that we have your safety and comfort the foremost in our minds when planning Otakon.

I absolutely agree; the escalators SHOULD work properly, and we have raised the issue every single year.

I find Mr Parker's response fascinating because that is explicitly NOT what they told us, nor what they have been telling us for the past decade.

What about an anime dating game? I haven't seen it in person before but I read about it for Anime Boston and it sounded like a fun event. Its the basic dating game one person asking questions to three contestants they can't see and picks one based only on their answers. Everyone is in cosplay obviously and the "couple" gets a no wait seating to a big event and other prizes. Here is a better description of it http://www.animeboston.com/events/anime_dating_game/

What about an anime dating game? I haven't seen it in person before but I read about it for Anime Boston and it sounded like a fun event. Its the basic dating game one person asking questions to three contestants they can't see and picks one based only on their answers. Everyone is in cosplay obviously and the "couple" gets a no wait seating to a big event and other prizes. Here is a better description of it http://www.animeboston.com/events/anime_dating_game/

I absolutely agree; the escalators SHOULD work properly, and we have raised the issue every single year.

I find Mr Parker's response fascinating because that is explicitly NOT what they told us, nor what they have been telling us for the past decade.

I've always found it strange that the escalators don't always work.

I first went to otakon in 2005 (I think) and I specifically remember all the escalators working. Then for the following cons (I've been to every con since then) certain ones were taped off.

Even if they "can't support large crowds" or what have you, can they at least not be taped off? I mean, to channel Mr. Mitch Hedberg...they are just stairs...why can't we use them as stairs?

Also, with Mr. Parker's response being said, can anything be done to use all the escalators?

We have had issues with the escalators *every single year*. It's a known issue, we've discussed it with the BCC folks *every single year*.

Here's what I've discovered over those years.

* The equipment is old. It breaks sometimes. They cannot afford to just replace it.

* They do their level best to keep it running during Otakon.

* We, Otakon, generally do not ask them to shut down escalators; either a safety feature kicks in (that detects the stairs moving at the wrong rate relative to the handrails), or they seize up.

* Escalators that break down do not actually become stairs. They either stop suddenly or they become slides with metal teeth. Mr Hedberg, funny though he was, was not an expert in this matter. (Google "escalator japan" and see the issues when escalators break down -- there is massive potential for serious injury and even death on a crowded escalator.)

I'm sure our facilities folks will address the issue and concern *again* this year, but I've personally been answering this question for a good five years now, and I do not expect that the situation will change drastically unless the BCC gets a massive overhaul.

That one sounds awsome ^^ I would love to participate.....onlyone little problem....heh I'm 17 T_T so maybe make it 16 and older :) I mean you should be mature enough at 16 XD especialy if you watch/listen etc to anime :D but that sounds like a cool idea I hope they impliment it I'm all for it if they make it 16 and up :D not to mention I have an idea to add ( not sure is anyone has posted about it....but I heard there was things about making plushies last year? I hope they bring that back this year I would so pay to make my own plushie XD

How about a Twitter feed? There are people who won't get to the Info Desk too much during Otakon for Programming changes. It is a quick way to communicate Programming changes. I have twitter on my Cell phone and I would use read from it.

Very good idea. Actually Katsucon had a Twitter feed this year and they added updated information to it all weekend and people could access that info through their cellphones. They had stuff like panel cancellations and times changes. It was very useful.

We brought up Twittering at the staff meeting this past weekend - we haven't forgotten about it, I promise. :)

I've always found it strange that the escalators don't always work.

I first went to otakon in 2005 (I think) and I specifically remember all the escalators working. Then for the following cons (I've been to every con since then) certain ones were taped off.

Even if they "can't support large crowds" or what have you, can they at least not be taped off? I mean, to channel Mr. Mitch Hedberg...they are just stairs...why can't we use them as stairs?

Also, with Mr. Parker's response being said, can anything be done to use all the escalators?

We brought up Twittering at the staff meeting this past weekend - we haven't forgotten about it, I promise. :lol:

Well I would like to suggest an Otaku Matchmaker. It is where those who wanna join get a small sheet that asks their interests, favorite anime/games, what gener are they, and what gender are they looking for, age, and so on. Then they submit it at a table, and then they are sorted to the people that match each other the best. Then on the cards a meeting place is written, and the matches go and meet each other there.

I know someone suggested a "dating game" higher on this page, but then not everyone get's the benefits for their time. And someone said that you'd have to be 18 for that: that isn't true. You are legally able to date up to 4 years younger than your self until you are 22, from then on it is 18 or older. I just wanted to clear that up. Anyways, it was a good idea, but to close minded.

So yeah, please tell me your thoughts on my idea. Thank you.

not really a suggestion for 2009 since it's a bit late.. but I recently attended Anime North and I thought it was pretty cool that they had a Nominoichi which was a place people could sign up for a table and sell their used OFFICIAL anime merch. Is it possible to do that for future Otakons?

cosplay chess, anyone? i know this idea's been tossed around, and it'd be really cool to see it actually happen :lol:

although i realize it would take up a LOT of space, making it hard to accomodate you

I know this might be a little tough with such a large-scale convention, but maybe host swap meets? I'm sure everyone has a piece of merch they don't use or want anymore that they're willing to trade for something else. I've seen them work well before, they're fun and you get to meet a lot of people. Then again, these were much smaller cons. Maybe I answered my own question?

Usually the limiting factor there is having someone to run the room, and having a room to run it in. We're still seeing how the Hilton space will actually be used, but I'll remind Programming about the occasional requests for a swap meet and see if it can be done. No guarantees, though...

I know it's a little late for this year. But I was thinking for next year, there probably should be something like "I Survived a Japanese Game Show" happening at the con. Just a thought.

I know it's a little late for this year. But I was thinking for next year, there probably should be something like "I Survived a Japanese Game Show" happening at the con. Just a thought.

[*taking off my staff hat*]

I think that that kind of game show would be too much trouble for the convention, really. It would require all sorts of waivers for safety and such, and would probably be too time-prohibitive to do in the convention's setup, even if it were a panel. Even if you preselected the contestants and had them fill out the necessary paperwork before getting started, those shows take a lot longer than the 30 minutes they're on air to actually tape.

Then you get into situations like (heaven forbid) accidents, damage to properties that don't belong to Otakorp, and the fact that the stages we use for panels are really just too small for something like that without doing some heavy-duty furniture moving, and it just doesn't sound like an effective use of Otakorp's space, money, or materials.

[*staff hat back on*]

...and I think that it's WAY too late for 2009 suggestions. Save 'em for the post-con feedback and "Suggestions for 2010" threads that will be launched AFTER Otakon! :)

The quiet 'thud' you just heard was Otakorp's lawyer fainting in the corner at the thought, heh.

I agree with Jim; with the 2009 con knocking at our doorstep, I'm going to lock this thread. Please hold your suggestions until the 2009 Feedback Panel (Sunday afternoon), or until the 2010 Suggestions Thread is opened (after this year's con); thanks! :)