I was just wondering when videos of the masquerade are going to be posted and where they will be posted.

People weren't allowed to video tape skits themselves, so surely the people who were in charge of taping it will have them uploaded soon....right?

The reason I ask about it is that I've been looking for a video of my skit (Not ANOTHER Hare Hare Yukai) I've wanted to see it very badly because we've never been able to see what the skit looked like all together. We had all practiced at different times, so the Masquerade was the first time that all of us were together to perform it.

I hope everyone enjoyed it. We worked really hard on it. I also want to apologize to the people who don't enjoy choreographed dancing skits. We had no idea there would be so many this year and this idea had been stuck in my head since last year.

Plus, we were right after Flute Link! I mean....how does a dance skit compare to THAT!? Lol.

Flute Link should have won best in show I think.

Anyway, videos please! kthxbai!

-Center Of The Universe Cosplay Group.

We are unable to post videos of the Masquerade due to the same copyright issues that require us to not allow videotaping of the Masquerade. The cameras you saw at the event were used for image magnification purposes only.

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, none of us take any pride in prohibiting people from seeing what they enjoy. Anything you've heard otherwise is a gross mischaracterization on that person's part, and definately nothing that has come out of my mouth the past several years. I am a fan of this stuff just like anyone else.

The primary issue that keep us from allowing distribution is the copyrights placed on almost each and every character each participant portrays. These are someone else's creation, and some company's product, both of which own copyrights on that character. Distribution of video that depicts their characters, their products, without their permission, can be considered a violation of that copyright.

You can argue the legal ramifications until the sun comes up, but it all boils down to this: if our lawyers tell us to not allow it, we're certainly not going ignore the advice of professionals.

This issue has not fallen off anyone's radars, and it is certainly something we are revisiting for next year to see what can be done.

Edited by Babbit

The other issue is the music used -- we pay the appropriate fees to cover live use, but not redistribution.

So if someone were to, say, do an amazing skit featuring music from LEGEND OF ZELDA, it's okay to use for the live performance -- but not for us to release the video later.

The primary issue that keep us from allowing distribution is the copyrights placed on almost each and every character each participant portrays. These are someone else's creation, and some company's product, both of which own copyrights on that character. Distribution of video that depicts their characters, their products, without their permission, can be considered a violation of that copyright.

AMVs are a totally different boat, as they are not performances. Additionally, AMV creators who post their works online are doing so at their own risk and under their own will independent of the convention.

Secondly, this isn't my definition, and there's no need to put words in my mouth. As previously stated, this is under the advice of our lawyer.

Even it it's almost the same, it's exactly that, almost. A still photo is a different can of worms from video. We permit photography at the Masquerade. We don't permit flash photography as it's distracting and enough of it becomes a strobelight, but we allow some form of photography nonetheless. And since still photography doesn't incorporate sound obviously, you don't have issues with copyrighted music.

Keep in mind as Jim has stated, our rights for music usage encompasses performance and not redistribution.

Videography creates a number of issues, audio and video. Eliminating one doesn't justify ignoring the other.

Unfortunately, a considerable amount of people are going to remain convinced that we did not allow videotaping for merely a cheap thrill as opposed to legal concerns. We can wax poetic for the next 10 months, but sadly it doesn't change the issues at hand. Rest assured, that this is an issue that will be explored in detail in preparation for Otakon 2009. I can't make any promises as what that may change, but it is something we are looking at.

If anyone has any questions not related to a impromptu legal debate, feel free to ask.

Edited by Babbit
By your definition of copyrights, shouldn't it also be illegal to video tape and photograph cosplayers in the hall ways and then post them on the internet? Cosplayers are portraying characters that were not their creation. The same goes with AMVs. People make videos depicting anime, sound clips and music that do not belong to them, show them at cons, then re-post them on youtube or some other site.

Aren't those things almost the same as a masquerade skit?

Just my thoughts...

• 7 months later...

Not going into the issue of company copyrights and author rights, how much does the actual building charge for videotaping?

I've been wondering that.

And how much does it cost if you want to redistribute a recording? How much do you have to pay those who own the facilities?

Not going into the issue of company copyrights and author rights, how much does the actual building charge for videotaping?

I've been wondering that.

And how much does it cost if you want to redistribute a recording? How much do you have to pay those who own the facilities?