this woman who was trying to sell her magazine on Sunday??

my sister and i were just sitting on the (it was either the 3rd or 2nd..i honestly don't know...if you come in one of the side doors, and there's an escalator down to the artist's alley, but you go up the up escalator instead....well we were sitting there, near the escalators)...

and there was some woman walking around, stopping people asking them to buy her "underground magazine" and bumper sticker for $10. how do i know? i didn't actually go talk to her, but my sister did

i didn't see a badge on her, but maybe it was under her sweater tied around her waist... =/

is this allowed? or should she have just gotten a booth at the artist's alley or something?

(it was something that bugged me, but if this was allowed or something, then you can yell at me and lock this ^^; )

Edited by ~Ametatsu~

No, this is not allowed, especially if it was someone who wasn't selling in the Dealer's Room as dealer or an Artist in the Alley.

For future reference, if you ever see anyone selling stuff outside the of the Alley or Dealer's Room, report it to a staffer immediately. Stuff like that is considered solicitation which is NOT allowed in the BCC.

I saw a dude in DR doing the same thing Sunday. If I wasn't in a hurry, I would have reported him. He was outside on the corner of Pratt and Charles the whole weekend.

In fact, the guy was doing the same thing at Katsucon as I recall. He got kicked out there too.

Edited by Aresef

Yes, we're aware of the situation, and yes, I spoke to her and told her she wasn't to be selling anything in the BCC.

One of the temp staff from BACVA came and told me what she was doing. Even the Temp Staff feel that they are a part of Otakon.

No, this is not allowed, especially if it was someone who wasn't selling in the Dealer's Room as dealer or an Artist in the Alley.

For future reference, if you ever see anyone selling stuff outside the of the Alley or Dealer's Room, report it to a staffer immediately. Stuff like that is considered solicitation which is NOT allowed in the BCC.

Just to clarify MC's answer a bit, the person needs to have a table in the Dealers room or Alley to be able to sell things. Standing in the DR or AA and selling without a table is still a no-no.

Hello everyone, 2nd year con goer, first time poster. I'll save the big intro for the intro threads...

I can confirm, this isn't the first time this group has done this.

I had friends tell me they showed up at Katsucon, and I saw them trying to sell those magazines at the D.C. Cherry Blossum Festivals "Sakura Matsuri Street festival" this year. (Several times they tried convincing me heavily to buy from them. the only thing that stopped them was me walking away and ignoring them.)

Seems a bit odd that they would appear at 3 seperate, yet uniquely theme linked events.

Someone mentioned this in the "$1 WATER" thread, & posted this link: http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/cover/2005/cover1104.html Just in case people were still confused.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.