Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bigdaddykev

OtakuRave 2009 Suggestions

Hi fellow Otaku. This is the suggestion thread for the Otakon 2009 OtakuRave. Please let the Dance staff know what you think would be a good idea/change for 2009. Please refrain from jumping off topic and if you have a comment about 2008 please use the OtakuRave 2008 Comment thread.

I will gladly reply to any comment or private messages sent to me. Take this as your way to get direct input with the Dance Staff as I will be presenting your suggestions at all of the Dance Staff meetings prior to Otakon 2009.

The only topic I will not talk about is the dreaded CONFUNK!!! Know that we do what we can and every year push for more ventilation and AC. Everything else is up for grabs.

Hope to see you guys in at Otakon 2009!!

We are looking into more VJ's and luckily was able to get one this year.

As far as water goes we were as shocked as you guys were the first night when we only had 4-5 of them. The electricians did what they could to get us more outlets for a extra 1-2 on Saturday but next year we hope to have a excess or them.

two words:

Done and doner. I was the VJ for Friday and Saturday night (minus during the megadrives set, which was vj chroma, who is part of the band). I'll post my little demo vid of some of the visuals I did.

- myspace.com/faithintheglitch

I really enjoyed the video you were mixing. I hope they bring you again next year. :-)

two words:

Done and doner. I was the VJ for Friday and Saturday night (minus during the megadrives set, which was vj chroma, who is part of the band). I'll post my little demo vid of some of the visuals I did.

- myspace.com/faithintheglitch

I really enjoyed the video you were mixing. I hope they bring you again next year. :-)

could you guys dim or completely turn off the lights in the front of the main room? That's kinda half the reason I stick to the side room due to it being basically dark and better for raving. This year seemed like you kept all the lights on instead of having the front lights off and the back lights on for the breakdancers.

that's just me...and yes, put DJ Hi5 in the main room plz. What was up with you guys kickin us out earlier sat night? I think this happened last year. Would think you'd let us stay longer on sat rather than fri....or simply let us stay longer both nights.

The BCC cannot legally turn off the rest of the lights that were on in the Camden Lobby. Since it is a lobby, or basically a giant hallway, they need to maintain a certain amount of emergency lights on at all times.

We do investigate alternative methods to meet that requirement, and there's always a possibility that one of our ideas will get approved (such as the lights shining on the ceilings of the exhibit halls so that we can turn off all of the mega-bright lights in Video 1). It's more a matter of working with the BCC and the fire marshal about making compromises than us not wanting it to shut off more lights.

@Saturday Early Kickout - I don't think we really kicked anyone out "early" per say. We usually end the side room at 1:30 and the main room set normally bleeds into 2:00. This year I think the main room was done at 1:45 and then we have to kick everyone out per the BCC rules. Truthfully I wouldn't mind keeping the rave going for a bit longer but then again us Staffers don't get that much sleep anyway and the security folks would kill us.

@Lights - We brought this up on friday to the BCC and were told that the lights were as low as they could go. I remember them being darker the year before as well so I guess it just depends on which BBC representative you talk to.

@DJ Hi5 - We would love to have him back next year and I will talk to the Dance Staff leader about getting him on the main stage.

@VJ's and DJ Masamune - We love VJ's and a bunch of staff member thought Masamune's work was amazing as well. Anyone wishing to return next year keep in touch with our Otakon_DJ's myspace page or contact Hope and we will gladly bring you back.

Keep the good suggestions flowing folks!!

I'm sure this has been brought up many times..but have you ever thought about taking requests for songs, or allowing people to bring in CDs and play them? I know a lot of people complained that they wanted to play their own music to me.

I'm sure this has been brought up many times..but have you ever thought about taking requests for songs, or allowing people to bring in CDs and play them? I know a lot of people complained that they wanted to play their own music to me.

This isn't possible at an event the size of Otakon... Reasons:

-DJs are limited to 1:30 sets, meaning time is crunched, I've played 6 hour sets at other cons where I'm glad to take requests

-Stage access,, there is none in the main room, and it's too crowded in the side room

-Selection, most DJs carry their own selection of music, and probably will not have a lot of music that is requested.

-NOISE - the DJ can't hear what you're saying when you're trying to hand off a CD and say "track 5" or whatnot.

-Genre - Most DJs have a certain style of music they play, handing a deadmaus CD to a trance DJ wouldn't work at all.

-Trust - unless the DJ had time (which they do not) to preview the entire track, how do we know you haven't mixed in a rickroll or even vulgar lyrics in there?

-Afterwards - What does the DJ do to your CD afterwards? Is he in charge of keeping track of it?

The best thing I can suggest is have your friend suggest music to the DJs close to the con here on the forums, or try out to DJ themselves.

-Selection, most DJs carry their own selection of music, and probably will not have a lot of music that is requested.

-Genre - Most DJs have a certain style of music they play, handing a deadmaus CD to a trance DJ wouldn't work at all.

These are my issues with the DJs. Raving is fine and all, and I understand they can't hear requests (maybe if they didn't have the volume at three times the threshold of pain they could hear something), but for the past few years now no matter what hour I show up it's 100% rave. Meaning, the music selection is about as related to an Asian culture convention as a pet rock. Do the DJs have complete impunity to say "screw it" and do their own thing?

I can easily fill 1:30 with a variety of J-Pop songs with awesome dance beats, but that's something that never seems to happen. Am I arriving at the wrong times, or are all the DJs pulled out of clubs with absolutely zero regard for the venue they're working in?

Too bad you missed my set, prominently in the main room as the second DJ, where I filled an hour and a half with jpop, jtrance, video game beats and some other j-import things. I know for a fact that one of the side room DJs was also spinning some Japanese tunes as well.

Quick question, how do you actually apply for one of these spots, im assuming you need to send in a demo, but to like who and when?

If you want to apply to be a DJ at Otakon visit our Otakon DJ myspace page http://www.myspace.com/otakurave and look for a post some time around January asking for submissions. If you don't want to wait feel free to drop a message on that page and our fearless leader will respond.

If you don't do myspace you can send a demo to me and I will make sure it gets to the proper place.

This isn't possible at an event the size of Otakon... Reasons:

-DJs are limited to 1:30 sets, meaning time is crunched, I've played 6 hour sets at other cons where I'm glad to take requests

-Stage access,, there is none in the main room, and it's too crowded in the side room

-NOISE - the DJ can't hear what you're saying when you're trying to hand off a CD and say "track 5" or whatnot.

-Trust - unless the DJ had time (which they do not) to preview the entire track, how do we know you haven't mixed in a rickroll or even vulgar lyrics in there?

-Afterwards - What does the DJ do to your CD afterwards? Is he in charge of keeping track of it?

The best thing I can suggest is have your friend suggest music to the DJs close to the con here on the forums, or try out to DJ themselves.

Get DJ Sisen. He was a Japanese guest hit at AUSA this past weekend.

Otakon doesn't really "get" DJs. Whoever wants to DJ has to apply for a spot, and if they make the cut, they're on stage.

DJ Sisen was also brought to AUSA as a guest, so he may have been given the normal amenities that guests receive. At Otakon, the DJs volunteer their time and aren't given a free hotel room like guests are. Bringing DJ Sisen over would have to be a collaboration between the Dance and Guest Relations departments, and could potentially open a nasty can of worms with our other DJs - specifically why they aren't being flown in and given free crash space. It's a nice idea (and one that I'd personally LOVE to see happen - I was at AUSA and he's an amazing DJ), but there's a number of logistical problems that would have to be cleared.

You should post something about this on the guest request thread so you can get it on Alabaster's radar that someone wants Sisen at Otakon and he can see how possible it is to make it happen.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think more fast-beat, harder-core techno songs are needed. For example, the song Techno Trance Hardcore - Ravers Fantasy Full Energy (range) would be great, or something that fast and hardcore. :] I love the heavy beats and quick thumps. They make the glowstickking and rave circles X41564 more fun :3 <3

I think more fast-beat, harder-core techno songs are needed. For example, the song Techno Trance Hardcore - Ravers Fantasy Full Energy (range) would be great, or something that fast and hardcore. :] I love the heavy beats and quick thumps. They make the glowstickking and rave circles X41564 more fun :3 <3

The DJ's being booked and the genres of music being played is in desperate need of change. Why not trance, drum and bass, and other more futuristic genres for a rave in 2009? Why not video game remixes or some japanese producers tracks being played? Most of the songs played for the past two years I've attended the rave have been outright house/breaks..and its just not enough energy imo.

The DJ's being booked and the genres of music being played is in desperate need of change. Why not trance, drum and bass, and other more futuristic genres for a rave in 2009? Why not video game remixes or some japanese producers tracks being played? Most of the songs played for the past two years I've attended the rave have been outright house/breaks..and its just not enough energy imo.

Yeah... All I have to say is more anime beats, and less of that redundant nonsense that all sounds the same. Circles are dull anyway. The point of the Dance is to, y'know, DANCE.. not stand around in a circle and watch people dance. Look at what Hi5 did, and how everyone freaking LOVED it. He was the only DJ that, IMO, actually catered to the taste of the Otakon attendee rather than dragging on with dull hardcore nonsense for 90 straight minutes.

I'm all for various styles of DJ's. If you know of a DJ that would like to play Otakon for free please have them send something either to me or to the otakon dj's myspace page and we will be more than happy to concider them for Otakon 09.

I'm all for various styles of DJ's. If you know of a DJ that would like to play Otakon for free please have them send something either to me or to the otakon dj's myspace page and we will be more than happy to concider them for Otakon 09.

I will be submitting a mix as early as I can so that I can get a chance to DJ this year. I've observed and wanted to submit a mix for the past two years.

I promise Otakurave goers that if I am able to DJ I will play futuristic, dance floor friendly, high energy tunes. I will mix drum and bass, vocal trance, j pop, and happy hardcore trance, laying down tracks by Japanese producers from every genre. I've already been thinking about this for a long time so we'll see how it works out.

I promise Otakurave goers that if I am able to DJ I will play futuristic, dance floor friendly, high energy tunes. I will mix drum and bass, vocal trance, j pop, and happy hardcore trance, laying down tracks by Japanese producers from every genre.

What about having a video of each song that is playing currently or a now playing list or something, cause there were many songs that i would have like to own but i didnt know the title or the artist name.

That would be helpfull!

What about having a video of each song that is playing currently or a now playing list or something, cause there were many songs that i would have like to own but i didnt know the title or the artist name.

That would be helpfull!

That would be helpfull!

That really all depends on the DJ or his/her VJ. If I nab a spot next year as a VJ then I plan to do something like this.

To do this would pretty much require that the DJ give you their set list in advance... and having their set planned out in advance is an extremely amateur thing to do. Part of being a DJ, when they first start to play outside of their bedroom, is to learn how to read a crowd and adaptability based on that crowd's reaction to each song. Unfortunately for some, ego gets in the way of ever learning this.

The only alternative I can think of at the moment to this would be to ask them for each track as they play it. This is an extreme form of 'trainspotting', and can be incredibly annoying if the performer is trying to concentrate. Unlike wedding & radio DJs, who don't have to learn to beatmatch or mix in key, a good electronic DJ typically puts 100% of their energy into delivering a solid technical mix. There are some arguments to this, but IMO, if you have a minute to stand around chatting, that's 60 seconds of strategizing & observing that you're wasting. :)

/$.02

To do this would pretty much require that the DJ give you their set list in advance... and having their set planned out in advance is an extremely amateur thing to do. Part of being a DJ, when they first start to play outside of their bedroom, is to learn how to read a crowd and adaptability based on that crowd's reaction to each song. Unfortunately for some, ego gets in the way of ever learning this.

The only alternative I can think of at the moment to this would be to ask them for each track as they play it. This is an extreme form of 'trainspotting', and can be incredibly annoying if the performer is trying to concentrate. Unlike wedding & radio DJs, who don't have to learn to beatmatch or mix in key, a good electronic DJ typically puts 100% of their energy into delivering a solid technical mix. There are some arguments to this, but IMO, if you have a minute to stand around chatting, that's 60 seconds of strategizing & observing that you're wasting. :)

/$.02

Hey guys, I was planning to submit a mix to see if I can DJ at the Otakurave 2009...but then my headphones broke. I did this mix without headphones so its botched, it is not the one I am going to submit.

But please listen and enjoy, tell me if you would like for me to mix at the Otakurave and what other kinds of songs I should play. There's a few Japanese producers in there like Makoto, T-AK, and Shinichi Osawa. This mix has happy hardcore and drum and bass.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MX6HG3JU

You can download it pretty fast from there. =D

See what's going to happen is EVERYONE will mention that they wanted anime related (or at least game related) music, but then the music selection for the rave will be irrelevant.

This happens, every year. Every single year. If I wanted to attend some normal rave I would go to that, not OTAKON

See what's going to happen is EVERYONE will mention that they wanted anime related (or at least game related) music, but then the music selection for the rave will be irrelevant.

This happens, every year. Every single year. If I wanted to attend some normal rave I would go to that, not OTAKON

It is because you guys can't tell a DJ what to play. Why not become the DJ yourselves? I attempted to make a mix with a bunch of Japanese electronic music artists; no one seems to know who they are. If you guys actually have MP3's of any track from an anime, or a remix of it, or anything thereof, send it my way and I'll mix it in to my set I submit to try and DJ at the rave. Just please keep in mind, at raves in Japan there isn't music from anime played. Drum and bass, happy hardcore trance, and Hip Hop are huge in Japan and variations of the three are typically played in raves or clubs. there.

raves in Japan there isn't music from anime played

You're not going to the right raves 0_o. There are some huge rave parties held for exit trance, not to mention other anime-remixers like sharpnel.

Just please keep in mind, at raves in Japan there isn't music from anime played. Drum and bass, happy hardcore trance, and Hip Hop are huge in Japan and variations of the three are typically played in raves or clubs. there.

You're not going to the right raves 0_o. There are some huge rave parties held for exit trance, not to mention other anime-remixers like sharpnel.

I dug up some of this and have checked out Sharpnel. It is really intense and breakcore-ish but if its what people want on the dance floor, I'll bring it on. :)

It's not necessarily what I'd bring to the floor, most of his stuff is too hardcore for me. I was just driving home that there IS anime/Jpop music played in raves in Japan.

You know, he's being harsh, but this statement is painfully true.

Something to keep in mind, Otakon's mission goes beyond 'anime'. A lot of the music played at the dance event *is* japanese, but goes largely unrecognized. It's also my opinion that DJs shouldn't play only anime remixes, as that would be catering to the wrong idea.

Confero mentioned Makoto above; do you (not YOU, specifically, but anyone reading) know who that is? Does the name Kentaro ring a bell? Hideo Kobayashi? These are pretty major names. I know I've played tracks by each of these artists before, and I've heard other DJs play songs and remixes by japanese artists, only to come to the board and see a small handful of people complain that the DJs only play 'rave music'. I'm not going to pretend that I sit and trainspot every DJ that plays Otakon, but as is the nature of message boards, I can't help but think that the problem is incredibly exaggerated online, especially considering that the vast majority of people attending the dance each year seem to be very happy with it.

Just to clarify, my tone here isn't hostile by any means, just pushing food for thought. The truth is that some of you are accusing the DJs of not doing something they actually *are* doing. Do you guys really think the head of the dance event would let the DJs get away with just showing up and playing anything?

I would so love to DJ for Otakon !

I'm not sure if my background with small/indie labels would permit me to do so though... I read somewhere that you guys look for unsigned DJs or something. I'm not particularly signed with a label, although my speedycake remix of Caramelldansen has appeared on Quake Records/EXIT TUNES' Umauma.cd and a re-release with Caramell themselves of their Supergott CD.

But high speed europop isn't what I really play anyway :3! I'm more into the UK/Happy Hardcore scene and Otaku based indie labels revolving around Japanese style Breakcore and Hardcore.

Heres something I recorded for AnimeUSA but I didn't get it printed in time, intended to give it out to all my fans I saw doing the infamous/famous caramelldance http://speedycake.com/live_recordings/ausa_promo.mp3 . (I recorded this live and for the most part, was pure improv, I don't really seem to get the point of editing and perfecting a mix if you can't do that on the fly you know?)

Definitely going to record a demo and submit in hopes of landing a slot with you guys!

Something to keep in mind, Otakon's mission goes beyond 'anime'. A lot of the music played at the dance event *is* japanese, but goes largely unrecognized. It's also my opinion that DJs shouldn't play only anime remixes, as that would be catering to the wrong idea.

Confero mentioned Makoto above; do you (not YOU, specifically, but anyone reading) know who that is? Does the name Kentaro ring a bell? Hideo Kobayashi? These are pretty major names. I know I've played tracks by each of these artists before, and I've heard other DJs play songs and remixes by japanese artists, only to come to the board and see a small handful of people complain that the DJs only play 'rave music'. I'm not going to pretend that I sit and trainspot every DJ that plays Otakon, but as is the nature of message boards, I can't help but think that the problem is incredibly exaggerated online, especially considering that the vast majority of people attending the dance each year seem to be very happy with it.

Just to clarify, my tone here isn't hostile by any means, just pushing food for thought. The truth is that some of you are accusing the DJs of not doing something they actually *are* doing. Do you guys really think the head of the dance event would let the DJs get away with just showing up and playing anything?

You make a good point. I've only ever really listened to Makoto, I browse his myspace occasionally. The other names barely ring a bell. Anyway, I'm not saying the DJ's shouldn't play rave music. That wouldn't make sense. It's the DJ's that play ONLY rave music which, while that makes sense for the event, it doesn't mean they shouldn't at least attempt to cater to the requests and tastes of the attendees of the dance. However, I feel that those demanding the DJ's turn every track into a fanservice are simply asking too much. It's a rave, not a radio station.

By no means was I attempting to push for an anime-themed rave. That would be silly. I, for one, appreciate the unheard-of Japanese material played at the Dance. It's good to be exposed to new stuff. If all you're looking to hear is remix after remix of anime themes, you're going to the wrong rave. That being said, accusing the DJ's of not playing anything Japanese is more or less a matter of ignorance. Still, I think hearing some material that just about everyone in the crowd is familiar with would definitely spark some serious dance floor energy. I haven't seen much of this done, but nevertheless, I enjoy the Dance as is and wouldn't miss it for the world.

/twocents

I totally agree.

Still, I think hearing some material that just about everyone in the crowd is familiar with would definitely spark some serious dance floor energy. I haven't seen much of this done, but nevertheless, I enjoy the Dance as is and wouldn't miss it for the world.

/twocents

Still, I think hearing some material that just about everyone in the crowd is familiar with would definitely spark some serious dance floor energy. I haven't seen much of this done, but nevertheless, I enjoy the Dance as is and wouldn't miss it for the world.

/twocents

I can't really share the same sentiments for that as I for one am sick of sandstorm and plain vanilla unmixed daft punk tracks.

The general crowd probably wants to hear these tracks though sadly, makes me want to keep a sandstorm/j-pop mashup ready just in case someone wants to hear it.