Flash animated AMV?

X-posted in feedback

You know how Yuri the only one for me was in the AMV contest but it's really a flash with original music with fandom in it. Will you be allowing those type of entries now or was this a special case?

Anime based original animation and music in the AMV contest. I think it's cool although unconventional for the medium. Wouldn't it go in fan parodies instead?

When my friends and I were discussing the entries and our votes for the AMV contest, we all said that we could not vote for "Yuri the only one for me" because of the fact that anyone with enough time, energy and talent could animate a video to a custom song. It takes real skill to take already animated segments and mesh them into a coherent video.

I think it would be interesting if there were enough videos to have a Best Animation or Custom animation Music video

Just saying.

Ricin

When my friends and I were discussing the entries and our votes for the AMV contest, we all said that we could not vote for "Yuri the only one for me" because of the fact that anyone with enough time, energy and talent could animate a video to a custom song. It takes real skill to take already animated segments and mesh them into a coherent video.

I don't think it would fit into fan parodies either, as it was not a parody. Perhaps we will need an original production event in the future, but in the mean time it fits better into the AMV contest than fan parodies. Lets not be overly picky nerds over what was one of the best videos this year.

I'll admit I haven't seen the original production in question. But there are lots of MVs these days where people introduce text and do video effects and digital compositing. I'm thinking here specifically of the harrasment of Kyon video.

Yeah, they're using existing footage at its base, but one could say that eventually, someone with enough time and effort could cut out Haruhi, Ichigo and P-chan and put them all into a video together interacting with each other.

Anyhow, it seems to me that this is a question of degrees of editing. You go from the vcr days where you can't do any editing of the frames and all you have is ordering. On to the digital point where people add text and do various degrees of digital compositing and effects. And it seems to me that flash/custom animation isn't so far along the extreme level of this digital compositing.

As for the it's not anime aspect.. I seem to recall a lot of Final Fantasy music videos in the past. Are those no longer allowed (not that I don't think forbidding FF would be a bad thing)? What would be the ruling for Avatar MV?

BTW, I'm not speaking in any official capacity as a member of staff here. I'm not in that department anyways.

Edited by confucious
Yeah, they're using existing footage at its base, but one could say that eventually, someone with enough time and effort could cut out Haruhi, Ichigo and P-chan and put them all into a video together interacting with each other.

Have you not seen the "Tainted Donuts" AMV with Spike and his crew trying to collect the bounty on Vash? Sheer genius.

As for the argument on hand, I have to agree that "Yuri the Only One for Me" wasn't really an AMV. I don't have a problem with original music in an AMV, as long as it's good, or with original animation (though not in the AMV contest), but the video in question didn't have anything to do with anime aside from sly references in the song. If neither the song nor the animation come from an anime, how is it an Anime Music Video? It was very cute, and could have done well as a fan parody, but IMO, the AMVs are not the place for all-new animation.

Part of the major draw in AMVs is to see how the editor is reinterpreting a familiar story through a song, which is why a good AMV is always better if you've seen the series. We watch AMVs because we want to relive the feelings we felt when we first saw those scenes and share them with the audience (if you've ever been in the AMV showings when the room goes hushed because the 5,000 eyes are all staring, rapt, as the screen shows an amazing AMV or been unable to stop laughing with the whole room full of otaku as we all share an in-joke that only anime fans will understand, you've experienced this). We want to see our favorite characters through someone else's eyes. This is why original animations don't create that still air of awe that a really great AMV does--as good as the animation is, we're still experiencing it for the first time, and don't have the emotional connection to the characters that we haven't been watching for 26 episodes.

Have you not seen the "Tainted Donuts" AMV with Spike and his crew trying to collect the bounty on Vash? Sheer genius.

You know, I kinda wondered why RehDogg's vid got disqualified for not using anime, but this one didn't. I mean, yeah, it did have a lot more to do with anime than RD's vid. And it was still a really good vid. I really enjoyed it a lot. And were original animation allowed, it probably would have made it anyway, while RD's wouldn't have. But the point is that neither vid used actual Japanese animation (unless Leet Street Boys are Japanese. >.>), but one vid got all out DQ'ed while the other didn't (and then proceeded to get into the contest.) I just thought it was a little odd. :) But yeah, while some vids (like Sesshomaru Champloo) put a lot of effort into changing the animation, the point is that they still start with an actual anime as the base.

I don't recall seeing a rule against having original animation. A couple of years ago I remember a couple of great videos by (Suberunk)sp? that had original animation. "Wizard of Osaka" and "Wedding Bells" both made it to the finals. They did have anime characters in them, but it looked like the backgrounds done with Flash. I would also like to see a category for original works, but you need to have enough to fill the category or it isn't much of a contest. So the video was put with the other AMVs in the category that it fit best. It's not like it has an unfair advantage, as it didn't win any awards.

As for Rehdogg, that was way off. I don't think that guy knows what anime is to begin with, look at his vid on YouTube he called it an Animated Music Video.

I think this sums up my reaction to that video: :unsure::blink::lol::excl::huh::huh::huh::wacko::o and then... :huh: