Fraudulent Otakon Memberships

I read up on a situation that Otakon had with fraud: http://www.otakon.com/news_article.asp?id=426

Is this topic open for discussion or is it a closed matter dealt with privately? (Asking before making any comments)

What's in the announcement is pretty much all the staff have to say on the matter right now.

If anyone has information, we are asking that they contact us as the announcement says.

So... it's not private, as we've made it public information. But it's not like we can give out juicy details, and it's sort of a touchy subject. We're very careful about choosing staff, as some of you may know. It's like family to a lot of us. I guess, you could say that we're all very disappointed.

All I can say is, I hope justice will be served.

well i'm in hot water on this one.... I wanna say that what i posted is not an official statement for anime usa it was just my own and only my own

Question: Exactly what "information" is the Otakon board seeking? I mean, I hardly think anyone's going to come forward and say "yeah, I bought a membership badge and holder from this dude working the line for $XX." Is there anything else "of use" to you?

If anyone has purchased anything from this individual, or been promised anything with regard to the corporation, or Otakon, this year, or in the past, please contact as listed.

All I can say is, I hope justice will be served.

Question: Exactly what "information" is the Otakon board seeking? I mean, I hardly think anyone's going to come forward and say "yeah, I bought a membership badge and holder from this dude working the line for $XX." Is there anything else "of use" to you?

People already *have* volunteered that information.

And remember that Otakon does not want to penalize anyone who may have purchased these fraudulent badges (believing that they were real memberships), so please do not fear that.

Any bit of information helps. If you saw anything suspicious that sounds like it might have been related to people selling fraudulent badges in line, please contact us. Even if you weren't involved--if you witnessed or overheard anything, we'd like to know the details.

• 4 months later...
well i know for a fact alot of people have a friend buy the pass

then they take it and scan it, print a copy and laminate it

I've seen it happen way more then once

so maybe there are other issues to consider

Otakon hasn't used laminated badges for several years. The badge designs are different each year, and your badge isn't valid with a year-specific holographic design sticker and that year's year-specific badge holder. There's talk of using designs that specifically screw around with photocopiers, or using non-repro blue stuff, or changing the dimensions of the badge.

Not to mention if you're caught defrauding the corporation, you'll be talking to our lawyer and a gentleman with a badge.

well i know for a fact alot of people have a friend buy the pass

then they take it and scan it, print a copy and laminate it

I've seen it happen way more then once

so maybe there are other issues to consider

Otakon hasn't used laminated badges for several years. The badge designs are different each year, and your badge isn't valid with a year-specific holographic design sticker and that year's year-specific badge holder. There's talk of using designs that specifically screw around with photocopiers, or using non-repro blue stuff, or changing the dimensions of the badge.

Not to mention if you're caught defrauding the corporation, you'll be talking to our lawyer and a gentleman with a badge.

It's something we'll consider; however, this topic was meant to address something else.

Unless you have something to add to the discussion which was relevant to the original topic (fraudulent memberships being sold at Otakon 2008), please don't dredge up these old topics.

Thanks!