Preparing for next year

I would just start now anyway. The basic content rules are usually about the same every year. (Provided you aren't wanting to do a trailer. -_-) Then, once the deadline and tech specs are out, you can just export and encode then. . .and hopefully your vid is ready since you'd have been working on it for a year. (Unless you're like me and have a very short attention span. >.>)

I guess so.

I already have the idea formed in my mind. I'm just waiting for the DVDs I ordered to come in the mail so I can start getting my hands dirty. In the meantime I've been listening to the song a LOT.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
-_- I am already taking in steps to cosplay as "Kikuchiyo" from Samurai Seven and I haven't thought of a new amv to submit yet but I am getting an ish load of material such as Devil May Cry, Pumpkin Scissors, Samurai Seven, Ergo Proxy, and the list goes on! So you can count on something being in Otakon 2009 AMV Contest or overflow (which ever it is) from Otaku Madness Productions!!!! ^_^
  • 3 months later...
;) ok my Kikuchiyu outfit fell through but I am already putting gears into motion for the creation of my AMV submission ^_^
  • 1 month later...

Is it safe to assume that the AMV still has to be under 6 minutes? >.>

I hope they don't cut it any shorter or I may have to rethink my entry!!! :D

Is it safe to assume that the AMV still has to be under 6 minutes? >.>

Rules will appear eventually, but I'd say that the *audience* is likely to fall asleep long before you hit six minutes.....

Well, wait for the rules before you give up!

I merely mean there's a reason why music videos in general don't tend to be 6+ minutes. Not the otaku short attention span, necessarily, just the expectations of the form.

I merely mean there's a reason why music videos in general don't tend to be 6+ minutes. Not the otaku short attention span, necessarily, just the expectations of the form.

Edited by .Schala.

I always thought the 6 minute rule was due to time constraint issues, so when you just said the audience would be bored, it totally blew me away. I also felt like it was kinda saying "Well you can't make a good AMV that will keep the audience entertained for 6 minutes." And yet...don't some of those AMV Hell videos go well over 6 minutes and otaku just love those. Your response was just very shocking to me. The only time I was bored during AMVs was in 2005, when every other AMV was Naruto, and they seemed to use the same scenes too. Lol. But the first AMV I submitted in 2006 was nearly 6 minutes long (5:45) and I have yet to receive any criticism about it, and I think the only reason it didn't make it into the finals was because it had live action footage with the anime (so I guess it was automatically disqualified, but I wish I could know if that was the reason for sure). So I know from personal experience that as long as you choose a great song, and have a great video to go with it, the audience won't be bored. ;)

A rule I follow is "don't take offense if there is an alternative". It's a fact that music videos, and songs, tend to be less than five minutes as a rule -- that's been true since MTV launched. It's also a fact that exceptions to the rule exist -- THRILLER being one big one. (I'm also a big fan of the rare extended version of A-Ha's "Take on me", still one of the best music videos ever made.) Every artist of course believes that their creation is the exception -- but there's also a lot of craft and creativity that goes into meeting the guidelines, and contests need structure.

Successful media usually grabs your attention immediately and holds it -- but doesn't demand massive commitment. AMVs are snapshots of pop culture at any given time, and no matter how well crafted a video is, eventually people will get bored of NARUTO or RANMA, or sick of Coldplay and Fallout Boy and Creed. By its nature, pop culture is pretty ephemeral.

Of course, people *will* sit still for awesome stuff sometimes. But tastes vary - how many people thought RETURN OF THE KING was too short? Many thought it was too long, but I prefer the extended edition myself. But most movies are 1.5-2 hrs long because that's the most successful length for movies.

I suspect that the length thing is also a boon to the AMV review team, because even if your video is awesome at 6 minutes, there will be many more that are just crap on a screen with a song that sucks -- and who wants six minutes of that? ;)

yea me too my rule of thumb is 1:00-5:00 your making a music video anything beyond 6:00 your making a trailer. If I have to push a video to 6 minutes+ then I will, and thats with open and close credits, but I mostly stay in the realm of under 5 minutes. Mostly due to as was said earlier it's just a snapshot of pop culture. If I find a song that is 6 minutes+ I'll see what I can do and how managiable it is. If it turns into mush I'll save what I can and put aside to make an amv hell. :blush:

Also with the amv hells they don't have a center focal point such a songs and regular amv's which tell a story. AMV hells are more like magazines or newspapers and regular amv's are like ordinary books. Pretty much what I am analogizing is that AMV hells are constantly high energy and constantly changing moods and directions. So the audience stays more interested to see what the next clip is where as with a amv and a song you can prtetty much find out the ending at 3:49. ;)

Yea I can't wait for them to release the rules and I know this sounds dumb but I am already working on my next entry. but if it doesn't make it into the finals meh oh well I tried. B)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working on my entry for a while... and this will be my first Otakon! Woot woot. Question for anyone in the know though... it says studio bumpers/credits are not allowed, but what if they are part of the parody? (i.e. replacing the Dreamworks/Universal/WB/etc logo in a trailer with that of your own studio)

• 2 weeks later...

Yea I don't think I'll be able to enter this year my original idea I scrapped cuz I wasn't impressed with it in the least and now I don't have an idea for my Otakon. But I dunno i might just contrive something up at the last moment. So hopefully I'll be against all of you!

• 2 weeks later...

That is flippin' awesome I remember watching Digimon after school it was on FOX right after Pokemon on Kids WB man nostalgia I'll probably get yelled at for going off subject.

But I think I have made my entry I did it while just making one for the internet so I am back in the game! it may be played out a little bit with the usual Naruto clips but I have gone using multiple animes to Eiffel 65's "Move your Body".

• 3 weeks later...
I've been working on my entry for a while... and this will be my first Otakon! Woot woot. Question for anyone in the know though... it says studio bumpers/credits are not allowed, but what if they are part of the parody? (i.e. replacing the Dreamworks/Universal/WB/etc logo in a trailer with that of your own studio)

Rules are up.

http://www.otakon.com/amvrules.asp

In reference to studio logos, here's the deal:

1) If you're tacking a studio logo/credits to the beginning or end of your AMV for the sole purpose of advertising yourself, it's gonna get chopped off. The reason for that is because last year we got 8 hours and 45 minutes worth of submissions. We could only fit 2 hours in the contest. We'd prefer to fill those two hours with ANIME MUSIC VIDEOS and not ego-stroking. We make the title cards for you. The audience will know everything they need to know. Also, people get carried away with how long their leader/credits last. I had one video at AUSA 2 years ago that had credits FOR THEIR CREDITS. The less "extra" that crowds the playlist, the more space we have for other entries in the final contest. In Otakon 2008 I was actually able to make room for an entire other video just by trimming black space, credits, logos, etc.

2) If you're doing a trailer, and the trailer shows a studio logo, and you replace it with your own logo, or even your own name, that's fine. The reason here is the original audio is probably already playing underneath this logo, and it would look really awkward to have black space there. You could put in another scene from your anime, but it's your call. You're more than welcome to parody the placement of the original movie studio logo.

3) Don't use a real studio logo, IE Dreamworks/Universal etc. In case you haven't turned on the news in the past year, corporate America is looking for every excuse possible to score executive bonus-bucks. The MPAA are the same people who sue children and grandmothers for piracy, and meanwhile enforce copyright laws and methods that prohibit you from playing your legally purchased films as well as the film pirates can. They would have no problem crushing a fan-run, non-profit organization if it meant milking them for a few extra bucks. There are no loopholes that let you legally attribute a copyrighted industry logo to your own work, parody or not. So don't do it. If you re-draw the WB logo in MS Paint, that's fine. if you copy and paste it from the original trailer, expect a phone call.