Programming Suggestions for 2009

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a huge fan of the classics, like Neon Genesis, Initial D, El Hazard, Love Hina, Chobits, Excel Saga....any classic stuff is fine with me!

Also, a Friday night viewing of Akira would be awesome. An oldie, but a goodie!

PLEASE stop showing episodes 23-26 of some random anime...it's hard to understand what's going on when we have to view the middle or end of a season!

I'm a huge fan of the classics, like Neon Genesis

You say this, but then you go on to say

PLEASE stop showing episodes 23-26 of some random anime...it's hard to understand what's going on when we have to view the middle or end of a season!
Edited by SnappleLlama

Can we stay on topic, please? The thread is supposed to be for suggesting programming for the 09 con. If you want to debate the virtues of random episodes vs entire series or how much you wanted to sleep during the first few Eva episodes, please take it to a separate thread.

+1 on Tokyo Zombie

Is there a room devoted to JUST Japanese live action shows and movies. I think that would be a good idea. Good comedy shows or action shows or dramas and maybe a music video hour somewhere in the day. An episode or two of those crazy game shows would be funny! At night it can become the LIVE ACTION GORE CINEMA room.

Plus most people don't seek out live action Japanese shows so this could be a good intro to them.

When it comes to anime I request Genshiken season 2, Cowboy Bebop movie, Fushigi Yugi and a really old school programming hour.

One night I walked in a sparsely filled room and they were playing nothing but old school anime openers and closers. Surprisingly that was fun and I love old school anime openings. I'm not the only one and it would be a good fill in in the schedule.

Macross Frontier. I'm not sure how you guys were able to show Macross 7 and Macross FlashBack 2012, but I imagine that you should be able to show Macross Frontier the same route. Hopefully Miyazaki's new movie will be obtainable by Otakon 2009 as well.

I mentioned this in the Vid Ops room once, but couldn't remember the name and thus came across as a total doof, but X-Cross would be a fun, campy hit, I think. Think Suicide Circle, only with more lolita!

I'd actually like to see more anime, to be honest. This year's lineup made me think of MTV a little, in that, as MTV plays almost no videos and certainly none I'm interested, there were barely any anime that appealed to me, and I don't think I'm alone in that. I understand playing things the industry wants to promote, but can't you screen those things a little more to aim them at the general populace a bit better? Did we really need eight hours of Code Geass? I don't agree with others who say we should only play older stuff/classics, but I'd like a nicer balance between old/new and shounen/shoujo. Last year there were some absolutely amazing selections that I just fell in love with after seeing at the con, even in the middle of the series, but there wasn't anything like that this year, IMHO.

Speaking of mtv (loosely of course!), how about a good amount of time for current japanese music vids? if there aren't enough resources, ill be more than happy to pitch in!

I would love to see a video room dedicated to 70's and 80's anime. Stuff like Gatchaman, Crusher Joe, Gundam, Macross/Macross Do You Remember Love?, Terra e..., Area 88, They Were 11, Lum, Rose of Versailles, Candy Candy, etc!

I second the idea of showing a classic like Akira! On a huge screen, could be fun!

As far as live action goes, any way to show more TV series? I remember a couple of years ago seeing the first couple of episodes of Train Man TV and it was great! So stuff with live action adaptions like Nodame, Absolute Boyfriend, Gokusen, etc might be good too.

how about one video room that'll marathon one series for the whole con. it could be labeled something like, "a series that you need to see", like: cowboy bebop, evangelion, trigun, FMA, etc...
Edited by VincentIII
Speaking of mtv (loosely of course!), how about a good amount of time for current japanese music vids? if there aren't enough resources, ill be more than happy to pitch in!
That idea is pretty cool, but personally I think it would be better to marathon a popular but harder to obtain series. Something like Monster or Legend of Galactic Heroes. Or even the Unaired seasons of Sailor Moon. Without downloading them, its very difficult to obtain the first two, even though they both have diehard fanbases overseas and are very high-rated.
Edited by Duelistbluerose
Correction;

the live action Initial D movie.

No. NO, NO, NO!!! UGH! The live action version was awful!! If Initial D is to be shown, PLEASE, PLEASE show the original anime series!

I'm also excited about a potential "catch up with classic anime" series for the next Otakon. I'm sure there will be an audience for it ;) That's not to say that there should ONLY be classic series shown, but it would be a nice addition!

That idea is pretty cool, but personally I think it would be better to marathon a popular but harder to obtain series. Something like Monster or Legend of Galactic Heroes. Or even the Unaired seasons of Sailor Moon. Without downloading them, its very difficult to obtain the first two, even though they both have diehard fanbases overseas and are very high-rated.

I think you'd be suprised how many people haven't seen cowboy bebop, evangelion, trigun, and shows like these. there are casual fans that go to this con too and they could use this video room to sample popular shows that we all talk about and reference. a casual fan who watches a few episodes of cowboy bebop would most likely leave that room a hardcode fan ;) can't say the same for evangelion - that series might scare some people....

I actually like GeekNights' suggestion about introducing screenings of more obscure stuff with a brief speech then a brief discussion of the film or whatever at the end.

You do realize that we've had a classics track for years now, don't you?

We give you guys a book with all that schedule stuff in it...sometimes I don't think anybody reads it.

Edited by Duelistbluerose

I would like to see a panel on Baseball in Japan. I see this panel done at Anime boston, every year. The guy lives in Japan and talks about the differences between the American game and Japanese game (More of an American League game for example). It is a pretty fascinating panel. The problem is I don't think there is anyone in this area with the expertise to talk about Japanese Baseball.

ok lets see...

BubbleGum Crisis, Sailor Moon, more Ranma 1/2, Your Under Arrest, El Hazard,

Irresponsible Captain Tylor, almost any Gundam series, Patlabor, R.O.D, Urusei Yatsura, Ronin Warriors, Rurouni Kenshin, Oh My Goddess!, Battle Athletes

heh named a few great shows there didn't I :P

Showing the first few episodes of some manga related J-dramas (Rookies, Hana Kimi, Hana Yori Dango, Kisarazu Cat's Eye) would be cool. Maybe even Akihabara@DEEP.

I don't know if this is possible but showings of musicals based on manga would also be awesome (Prince of Tennis, Bleach, Sailor Moon, the upcoming Saiyuki Musical).

It's probably impossible but I think it would be crazy fun to get one of those Japanese game shows to come to Otakon for the weekend. I'd love to be a contestant on one of those shows!

Yaoi anime room? :blush::D:D Okay, I can dream, right? But in the past there has been mutliple yaoi shows shown in a row on Friday nite - so that's cool too! Keep it up plz!

^^I like J-Drama too, some of those can be really good, if we could get them subtitled. And always, live action movies based on the anime. Lovely Complex live action rocked!

The sheer quantity of paperwork and legal concern would give our lawyer a seizure. The legal climate in the US is ill-suited to that level of mayhem.
The sheer quantity of paperwork and legal concern would give our lawyer a seizure. The legal climate in the US is ill-suited to that level of mayhem.

LOL! That's true. Stupid frivolous law suits.

Meh, yes and no.

The events of the Otaklaus Challenge, when we had that, were inspired by the wacky hijinx of japanese game shows, but were designed so they involved almost zero risk of injury. As opposed to the Ninja Warrior or Unbeatable Banzuke shows where minor injury is a LIKELY outcome. Those shows all make money and thus can work the insurance and legal costs into their bottom line. That wouldn't really work for us.

Well, since we're just spitballing here..

Classics:

Gunsmith Cats

Riding Bean

Tank Police

Bubblegum Crisis

Project A-ko

Newer Stuff:

Hell Girl

Macross Frontier

Also..and this is just something I've always wanted to see..a subbed version of Ringing Bell by Sanrio. Its the darkest kids' movie I've ever seen in my life and its absolutely fantastic nostalgia. :)

Well, as a few people mentioned live-action movies, I'll have to say The Returner. Its story-line runs like an anime, and it's fabulous :P

Showing the first few episodes of some manga related J-dramas (Rookies, Hana Kimi, Hana Yori Dango, Kisarazu Cat's Eye) would be cool. Maybe even Akihabara@DEEP.

I don't know if this is possible but showings of musicals based on manga would also be awesome (Prince of Tennis, Bleach, Sailor Moon, the upcoming Saiyuki Musical).

Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, please?

Or when the OVA comes out, Goku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.

Another OVA, if possible, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei?

Speaking of Higurashi, would it's violence be too much to have it open to everyone?

Would there be age limits for certain shows next year?

I know Excel Saga's 26th episode didn't have one, and it probably really needed one.

What type of characteristics make shows require an age limit? Blood? Sex? I'm really at a loss here.

Not that I'm complaining. I'm not old enough to go to +18 things, and I really love Higurashi.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.