Programming Suggestions for 2009

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A yaoi (and to be fair yuri) room would be nice. The one year they did something somewhat similar, with gakuen heaven, princess princess... and something else I think. My memory sucks though so I'd have to dig up my old programs.

For everyone though, a showing of Genshiken would be great! Show us how bad us otaku really are and let us laugh over it.

What do you want to see in the video rooms at Otakon next year?

Paprika is an awesome new movie if you could show it at the con. Oh and more subs rather then dubs please! -unless of course that voice actor is at the con :)

Paprika came out at the beginning of 2007, and we *have* shown it at the con. I agree, it's awesome, but we have shown it a few times already.

As for subs vs dubs, that's not always a call we can make. Because you see, we have to get permission to show stuff, and they may specify which version.

Do an oldies but goodies night maybe? Outlaw star/cowboy bebop, dragonball, ranma, fushigi yugi, yorodin samurai troopers, eva? Get people that are new to anime into some of the older "classics"? Not to mention seeing them on the big screen would be great.
Do an oldies but goodies night maybe? Outlaw star/cowboy bebop, dragonball, ranma, fushigi yugi, yorodin samurai troopers, eva? Get people that are new to anime into some of the older "classics"? Not to mention seeing them on the big screen would be great.

Oh definitly yes. I tend to lean more towards the oldies (outlaw star being one of my all time favorites) so I'd love to have an oldies night just so I could meet more people who are into them. So few people seem to like them nowadays.

And a yaoi room... I don't think I could ever leave.

Edited by lykopis783

Oh definitly yes. I tend to lean more towards the oldies (outlaw star being one of my all time favorites) so I'd love to have an oldies night just so I could meet more people who are into them. So few people seem to like them nowadays.

And a yaoi room... I don't think I could ever leave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Yaoi anime room? :):D:D Okay, I can dream, right? But in the past there has been mutliple yaoi shows shown in a row on Friday nite - so that's cool too! Keep it up plz!

oooh i would LOVE for there to be a yaoi room - all yaoi all the time :P

Yaoi anime room? :):D:D Okay, I can dream, right? But in the past there has been mutliple yaoi shows shown in a row on Friday nite - so that's cool too! Keep it up plz!

oooh i would LOVE for there to be a yaoi room - all yaoi all the time :P

Also, they could stray off from FULL OUT Yaoi to a more... 'dumbed down' yaoi. I believe Loveless would be a good example of this.

*laughs* I can see a little kid looking up at their mother and asking her to watch this movie... and as they enter they find themselves viewing yaoi/yuri. AH, how fun.

<off topic> That's why we make sure that people going in to the 18+ programming are, in fact, 18+. </off topic>

Live Action:

Iron King

Densha Otaku (Television series, please!)

Animated:

Macross Frontier

Black Jack

Otaku No Video(it wouldn't be Otakon without at least one showing of this)

Ringing Bell (I'd prefer subbed, but I've never been able to track it down, so, dubbed would be fine)

Toward the Terra

Lost Universe

Slayers

Devil Hunter Yohko

Bubblegum Crisis

Green Legend Ran

Robot Carnival

I'd keep going..but I have work in the morning.

Maybe get together with people that are going to be hosting panels and have them do suggestions for the programming in some rooms?

EX: On Friday or Saturday of the con I remember going to a J-Drama Panel, and some of that stuff sounded pretty interesting. It would have been great if there was a follow-up viewing of one or two of the shows they could have promoted later in the con. As awesome as they sounded, everything at the con sounded that way, and by the time one makes it to the Dealer's Room without an actual lasting impression some of those titles and ideas were lost.

Well, since we're just spitballing here..

Classics:

Gunsmith Cats

Riding Bean

Tank Police

Bubblegum Crisis

Project A-ko

Newer Stuff:

Hell Girl

Macross Frontier

Also..and this is just something I've always wanted to see..a subbed version of Ringing Bell by Sanrio. Its the darkest kids' movie I've ever seen in my life and its absolutely fantastic nostalgia. :D

The first five episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion are pretty damn boring, as evidenced by the snoozefest called EVA 1.0 You Are Not Alone.

I thought it was titled "You Are Not Awake".

Baccano!

Code Geass: Lelouche of the Rebellion

Crayon Shin-chan

Maria Watches Over Us

those are all licensed and able to actually be shown right?

Edited by kuramasan
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree on trying to play more classic anime. But honestly I don't know if playing a bunch of popular old anime would be a good idea. I mean a lot of people who would really want to see it may end up not going to it at all, because of the fact they have already seen it before and there is a new show out that they may like or maybe not. I always try to watch as many different anime as possible, and I'm sure there are a lot of others out there like me. So maybe classic anime would be good, but not your popular ones such as Eva, Trigun, and Bebop. So maybe some of the lesser known titles such as Those who hunt elves, Sorcerer Hunters, and Here is Greenwood.

Edited by Jhawk

how about some Tokusasu viewings? Old classics like Kamen Rider, (god forbid) Spiderman, Ultraman...and, yeah. FREAKIN' Super Sentai! Maybe even some newer ones like The new Kamen Rider movies and Ultraman: The Next.

Other than that, a live-action adaption room would be good. Both Death Notes + L: Change the WorLd, Initial D, Casshern, Tetsujin 28...

And won't Yatterman be out by then?

I'd kill for the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVA or Fist of the North Star.

Just saying. >_>

EDIT:

Whoops.

Totally forgot that I already posted. Sorry. :P

Edited by Krissay-face
I'd kill for the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVA or Fist of the North Star.

Just saying. >_>

EDIT:

Whoops.

Totally forgot that I already posted. Sorry. :)

You're allowed to post more than one set of suggestions, there's nothing wrong with that. Attendee input is always appreciated :ph34r:

how about some Tokusasu viewings? Old classics like Kamen Rider, (god forbid) Spiderman, Ultraman...and, yeah. FREAKIN' Super Sentai! Maybe even some newer ones like The new Kamen Rider movies and Ultraman: The Next.

Edited by tstidm1

None of the ones you have listed are licensed in this country or they are licensed by a company that won't allow them to be shown unedited in this country. Yatterman may get licensed by then or it may be three or four years before we see it here.

It's about whether we can get appropriate permission from whoever holds the rights. In some cases, we can go direct to the source if the property doesn't have a US distributor. For example, one of our prior guests, Mr Suwa of YTV, is a producer for the Yatterman series, and he may be able to direct us to the correct person to get permission to show the movie.

It's fair to say that our policy has evolved regarding unlicensed properties -- as the legal situation has evolved, so has our relationship with various industry players, and so has the amount of attention paid by Japan.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.