Live Streaming Otakon 2009?

I was thinking, how about doing some live streaming for Otakon next year? It would be great to have some cams set up in different spots at the con, give the con a bigger presence worldwide. It wouldn't be expensive, you guys could use www.ustream.tv/ and whatnot.

Thought I'd just throw that suggestion out^^

If you had a GPRS/EDGE/3G capable phone or an EVDO card for your laptop and were willing to use your own mobile bandwidth to (near)livestream, I think that would be your own perogative, no? I think the problem Otakorp has is that BCC charges a lot of money for internet access.

If you had a GPRS/EDGE/3G capable phone or an EVDO card for your laptop and were willing to use your own mobile bandwidth to (near)livestream, I think that would be your own perogative, no? I think the problem Otakorp has is that BCC charges a lot of money for internet access.

Nope. Read what I said.

For Otakon to broadcast events from the BCC or Arena, we would need to renegotiate bits of the contract that cover broadcast of events. Labor rates for certain things are set differently (they are more expensive) if the event is to be broadcast, and there would be a fair amount of permissions and waivers and things to deal with.

A personal video diary is a completely different animal to wholesale broadcasting of live events.

Consider this, too: members pay a fee for which the chief benefit is the right to attend the annual meeting -- Otakon -- and while there, they get access to exclusive content.

Why would we want to offer that content for free to people who aren't members? (I can almost guarantee that anything we posted behind the member login would be available on youtube within a few days.)

(BTW, we already pay -- a lot -- for internet access, which we need for all sorts of reasons. So that ain't it.)

• 1 month later...

As cool as the con-chair-cam would be, the BCC's wireless network can't reach a lot of spaces, like behind the scenes areas (not that we necessarily want to advertise all of that anyways), and the exhibit halls. It may be possible to stream more generic things, like shots of registration or the dealers room or something like that, but it will still cost money to implement, and I don't know how it would affect our contracts. Plus, nobody really tunes in to a live stream of a hallway.

It is a good idea in general, I think, and if it turns out that we can do it, even if it is not live, then we certainly may do it. There's just a lot of factors against it presently.

a quick youtube search shows 4,000+ videos for the words otakon. During the weekend the best way to experience the con is to BE at the con, not watching it on a video. Videos are good for remembering how much fun you had, not how much you should be having.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.