Artist alley set up question

Question

I love the way you put up and show the art for the auction. But have you ever thought of having a section just like it on the oppisit side of the room for "cash and carry" art? Basically art that is for sale only at a set price, and if you pay for it now you can take it with you now. Or if the buyer will allow put a sold sticker/sign on it and allow people to see it? that might help some of your starving artist.

4 answers to this question

That's what Artist Alley is for - you get to pick the art that you want, pay a fixed price for it and walk away with your art right away. If you're thinking of something different, feel free to explain what you mean and we'll see where we can go with the idea.

That's what Artist Alley is for - you get to pick the art that you want, pay a fixed price for it and walk away with your art right away. If you're thinking of something different, feel free to explain what you mean and we'll see where we can go with the idea.

I think that they mean selling single pieces of art for a set price instead of auctioning it. Kind of like buy it now on Ebay. For people who want to sell their art and get their money without having to auction it off and wait for payment , but with only 1 or two pieces it wouldn't make any since for them to get an AA table.

In my opinion, it would be too much of a hassle because with the auction no one is really handling money until the last day. With a buy it now option, someone is going to have to handle the money all week long, and keep track of each artist who had a buy it now option. It just seems a lot more complicated than the current system, and just because you have a set price to sell the art pieces doesn't mean that there is any more chance that they would sell than there would be at auction. Plus there is a better chance that at auction it would go for more than the artist ecpected it too.

You made some very good points, I also don't think that it's very likely to happen. First of all, the artists won't see their money any faster then they would with the auction because the check doesn't come from the people who run the Art Show, the treasurer writes all of the checks that come from Otakorp. They doesn't write any checks (art show sales, reimbursements, etc.) until a few weeks after Otakon either.

Also, there's really no need for it. Most of the pieces in the art show seem to be prints, not originals, so if you want a piece right away all that you need to do is track down the artist and ask them. If it's an original, then my best advice to you is to bid as high as you're willing to go and hope that you aren't outbid.

Thanks for the input, every idea that we get may not pan out but we love to get suggestions from our members about how we can improve the con.

I love the way you put up and show the art for the auction. But have you ever thought of having a section just like it on the oppisit side of the room for "cash and carry" art? Basically art that is for sale only at a set price, and if you pay for it now you can take it with you now. Or if the buyer will allow put a sold sticker/sign on it and allow people to see it? that might help some of your starving artist.

Artists already have the option of placing a fixed price they are willing to accept when putting art up in the show (at least the last two years when I've had shifts down there.) Besides, not everything ends up in the Sunday auction. Only those pieces that fill the bid card or by staff selection move on to the formal auction.

Are you asking if they can request the item be left up for the entire weekend, even if sold sooner, to drive post-con transactions? I say request because it would likely be up to the purchaser once paid (they may not be around the whole weekend.)

Edited by ZGL
added double post