Shirt question?

I have a question that came up as an issue at my local con, and I wondered what Otakon's policy has been on it.

Can male cosplayers go shirtless? It seems that a male cosplayer at my local con dressed up a Ace from One Piece, and he was told that he had to put a shirt on. Would he have been made to put a shirt on at Otakon?

• 1 month later...
I have a question that came up as an issue at my local con, and I wondered what Otakon's policy has been on it.

Can male cosplayers go shirtless? It seems that a male cosplayer at my local con dressed up a Ace from One Piece, and he was told that he had to put a shirt on. Would he have been made to put a shirt on at Otakon?

Even if our policy differs from theirs, that doesn't mean either of us is right or wrong. Usually such policies are determined by the venue, rather than by the convention itself.

Otakon is held in the hottest part of the summer, and enjoys an excellent and long-established relationship with the city and with our various venues.

However, a hotel-based event in winter might well require everyone to wear a shirt. In which case you must comply.

Ok, now I'm a little confused. I've kinda of gotten conflicting answers. Unless I am reading too much into his post, I've got Alabaster basically saying that males can go shirtless at Otakon, yet then I've got Asrial Dune saying no males cannot go shirtless at Otakon. So which is it. (I do faintly remember shirtless Zabuza cosplayers at Otakon in 2007, I missed last year's con)

It's not that important, the conflicting answers are just confusing.

It's not for me anyway since I am a girl, and if I went shirtless it might be scary. My DD's would probably cause someone to fall down the escalator or something.

:lol::lol::lol:

Apologies for any confusion.

Asrial Dune (Matt) is actually on the team that enforces such policies -- I am not. His answer on this issue would be the one to pay attention to. (I remember our policy as being "must cover what a standard bathing suit would cover", but the last time I was directly involved was in 2005/6.) I'll push for a clarification to be added to our policies page, in any case.

My point is merely this: policies vary and are most often an issue that is decided by the venue, local standards, climate, etc. rather than just convention staff being mean or arbitrary. So our policies -- whatever they might be -- don't have any effect on that other convention's rules.

Apologies for any confusion.

Asrial Dune (Matt) is actually on the team that enforces such policies -- I am not. His answer on this issue would be the one to pay attention to. (I remember our policy as being "must cover what a standard bathing suit would cover", but the last time I was directly involved was in 2005/6.) I'll push for a clarification to be added to our policies page, in any case.

My point is merely this: policies vary and are most often an issue that is decided by the venue, local standards, climate, etc. rather than just convention staff being mean or arbitrary. So our policies -- whatever they might be -- don't have any effect on that other convention's rules.