Best Songs for a Road Trip to Otakon

I don't have a long road trip to Otakon, but generally I'd suggest anything JAM Project. "Break Out," "No Border," "GONG," "SKILL," "Victory," maybe some "Motteta! JAM ga Serafuku" or "SOULTAKER."

Edited by Aresef

This sounds insanely strange, but the Backstreet Boys and Cake.... Somehow in my brain backstreet was connected with the time in my life when anime was all new to me. So throw on some backstreets back and I'll start busting out the dragon ball z and cowboy bebop quotes... And cake is more just tradition, being trapped in a car with five people who can't sing but belt out Nugget and the like like they're opera singer wanna-be's and there are some great memories to be had.

They really keep you awake :) especially if you cant stand backstreet...

Edited by lykopis783

We made an 80s Only Playlist for the six hour drive to Baltimore with really upbeat songs. When we left CT at 5am the first song was "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go!" by Wham, when we got into New Jersey "Living on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi, when we were making our way out of the tunnel in that last stretch getting into Baltimore and onto the highway at the last toll booth was "Final Countdown" by Europe and then "When Doves Cry" pulling into the city.

It definitely had us perked up.

Next year I'm planning on all anime theme songs.

• 3 weeks later...

"What's up people!?" by maximum the hormone (Deathnote OP) just try to scream along and you'll find out that its really crazy, i found it fun, but its really crazy, just don't be the fool who's driving AND screaming at the same time. Its really intense!!! lolz, :)

• 5 weeks later...

Devil's Rejects Soundtrack....

Portal song is awesome too duelist...

but also I found that cheezy pop songs that get stuck in ur head are the best -- people know the words and u can get everyone in the car to sing along...

For guys that will travel far to go to Otakon, sometimes some good music can keep you awake during those late night drives. What are some good songs to listen to/keep you awake?

The soundtrack from the Irresponsible Captain Tyler. It would certainly get you in the mood for wacky carefree fun!

I find "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" by WHAM! to be a good starting song for the trek to Otakon.

Slayers music is always a great bet, Fire Bomber as well.

But then I'm also the girl who'll sing along to the Memorial Song Box set of albums from Sailor Moon. Come one, who doesn't love the now seemingly defunct image song?

Oh come on people you are missing at least TWO great artists that are great;

2. FIRE BOMBER!!!!! (my personal favorite of theirs is Totsugeki Love Heart)

1.KISS!!!!!

:wacko::PB)B)B)B)

but there is also Kon'ya wa Hurricane from Bubblegum Crisis

Edited by RTeker

The Proclaimers, from Scotland but readily available in the States, had a terrific and appropriate number:

I'm on my way from misery to happiness today

I'm on my way from misery to happiness today

I'm on my way to what I want from this world

And years from now you'll make it to the next world

And everything that you receive up yonder

Is what you gave to me the day I wandered

A scant few of you might recognize this from a brief appearance in "Shrek." They also did the song that was the theme music to "Benny & Joon," "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)".

Rick Astley, 'Never gonna give you up'.

Yes, very random, I know... but very addictive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I forgot to add....

Rocket man by William Shatner

. . .

Perfect for the road trip

YES!!!! The Immortal Shatner. And let's not forget his stirring renditions of "Mr. Tambourine Man" and "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds".

We usually listen to the radio for 20mins till we get out of Pa. Then we crank up the ipod tunes with all japanese music and anime music. We had a mixture of Jpop/Jrock/R&B etc. We do songs that we can dance and also ones were we can sing.

Last yr tho we watched gurren lagen so no anime music that time.

Usually it's a nice mixture of the Pillows and other songs found in anime: like the entire Initial D soundtrack, the theme songs to Love Hina and Neon Genesis, and some Glay thrown in for good measure. Oh, and the Outrun 2 soundtrack. Rockin'!
  • 2 weeks later...

When I do road trips down to Aussie cons (since it is a tad hard to drive to US cons) I usually have a mixture of music. Every thing from Men at work, to AC\DC to Cake, to Dido and Weird Al. The thing that kept me awake the most on flights to con's is remembering that I forgot to pack the MRE's so I could avoid airline food!

• 1 month later...

A few years back, me and a friend spent about half of the trip playing nothing but Wesley Willis.

A few years back, me and a friend spent about half of the trip playing nothing but Wesley Willis.

My God, that is pure awesome.

I'm surprised no one's thought of anything by Sammy Hagar. XD

May I suggest the OST's from Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune? It'll getcha drivin' FAST, I can tell you that much. :o

Other than that, it's Clubland X-THC 4 and 5 for the drive down. Seven and a half hours of hardcore ftw. Unless of course we do decide to fly this year ;___;

Edited by Otaku Ru

X or Standing Sex by X-Japan - Gets me psyched for anything I'm doing, specially driving.

Creeping Death by Metallica

Tribute by Tenacious D - It is the greatest and best song in the world after all.

Omoide wa Okkusenman by GOM - Its Dr. Wily's theme from Megaman 2 with crazy lyrics. Nuff said.

Thunderstruck by AC/DC

Almost anything by M.O.V.E. from Initial D soundtracks - great driving music.

Depending on the sort of road trip you expect to have, "Holiday Road" from the National Lampoon's Vacation soundtrack might be appropriate. ;)

In all seriousness, last year's CD selection included an ELO Greatest Hits album and the Annie Soundtrack. Since I bought a new car with an mp3 player jack last year, we'll have a much wider selection for this trip.

• 2 weeks later...

"Superstar" by Saliva, "To Be Loved" by Papa Roach, some Pillows, music from Bust A Groove, "Get Ready 4 this" by 2Unlimited, "Welcome to the Jungle", "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor, "Gonna Fly Now" by Bill Conti, idk.

MOVE was already mentioned. For all those mixing compilations for the trip, I'd recommend "Linda Linda" recently covered by MXPX. I'm also a big fan of rolling into Baltimore rocking The Black Mages.

Edited by sven72383
  • 2 weeks later...