How does this PassKey thing for hotel reservation work?

A few months back, I reserved my room at the Hyatt once I saw the link for this passkey thing on the Otakon website. But after I reserved it, I received no e-mail confirmation and when I called Hyatt today to check the status of my room with my acknowledgement number, they had no such records on their system. So how does it work? Will Otakon book the room later on and notify the people who reserved? Will it eventually be on the Hyatt system? I'm so confused.

Passkey makes the reservation but won't sent it to the hotel until July 9th. You can cancel the reservation before that date directly with passkey through the reservations link.

After that date you will be in the hotel system and you'll have to cancel with the hotel directly.

• 1 month later...

You can still go online and check the reservation status, rooms, number of beds, etc, I beleive. I'm pretty sure I have, at some point, since I made reservations in August.

I am a bit confused. When you reserve with PassKey are you paying for the entire reseervation up front or is there a down payment? It doesn't really say that in the steps leading to booking.

Why is the confirmation date so late? If something happens and for some reason the hotel doesn't honor it, by July 9th all the hotels in the area will be full.

I am a bit confused. When you reserve with PassKey are you paying for the entire reseervation up front or is there a down payment? It doesn't really say that in the steps leading to booking.

Why is the confirmation date so late? If something happens and for some reason the hotel doesn't honor it, by July 9th all the hotels in the area will be full.

I'm pretty sure the rooms are already reserved for Otakon up until July 9th (about a week before the convention) when they are handed over to the people who reserved them through PassKey.

As far as payment, the hotels do different things. I know the Days took a portion of my friend's total out of his checking account each night he stayed, and some just take it all up front. You don't pay anything until you show up at the hotel's front desk.

Just make your reservation, sit back, and relax. They have everything taken care of, rest assured.

I'm pretty sure the rooms are already reserved for Otakon up until July 9th (about a week before the convention) when they are handed over to the people who reserved them through PassKey.

Does this mean I might not get a room since I reserved by phone?

• 1 month later...

I don't know exactly where to post this but I saw this title was pretty close to how I felt. I tried yesterday to get rooms reserved (yes I feel like I am dragging behind I normally have them by now) and was totally confused with this whole passkey thing. We have been staying at the Renaissance for the past several years so I called to book into the Otakon block and was told they couldn't book the rooms that I had to call another number. So I called that number and the lady with this reservation thing told me that all that was available was the Sheraton and the first openings were on Friday. I got very frustrated. Especially since we are coming from out of state on Thursday and there are 8 of us. I asked if we were able to get into the Renaissance at all and she told me no that was all they had. I ended up going through the Marriott reservation center to get our rooms outside of the Otakon block, especially since I needed 2.

So I guess my question is: Are they releasing blocks of rooms in the certain hotels at a time? Fill one hotels block before opening the next one up? I guess I just don't like this new reservation service especially if they aren't booking the rooms in the hotels system until July 9th. That would explain why the guy with Marriott was still showing rooms available in the Otakon block, since they haven't submitted them yet.

I was just really confused.

Edited by sakura-oki
(snip)

So I guess my question is: Are they releasing blocks of rooms in the certain hotels at a time? Fill one hotels block before opening the next one up? I guess I just don't like this new reservation service especially if they aren't booking the rooms in the hotels system until July 9th. That would explain why the guy with Marriott was still showing rooms available in the Otakon block, since they haven't submitted them yet.

I don't think it's certain blocks being released at different times, i think it's just that all the ones they had at the time were all released at the beginning and they're all already sold out, as room reservations have been available since August 2008 (that's likely why you couldn't get your hotel of choice... I booked 2 days after Otakon 2008, and the new attached Hilton Convention Center was already long gone, I was lucky to get the Holiday Inn Inner Harbor)... this late in the game, you're lucky to get anything, really...
(snip)

I don't think it's certain blocks being released at different times, i think it's just that all the ones they had at the time were all released at the beginning and they're all already sold out, as room reservations have been available since August 2008 (that's likely why you couldn't get your hotel of choice... I booked 2 days after Otakon 2008, and the new attached Hilton Convention Center was already long gone, I was lucky to get the Holiday Inn Inner Harbor)... this late in the game, you're lucky to get anything, really...

Edited by Dither
  • 1 month later...
I remember that as soon as I got home on Sunday I was searching for next years dates hoping to get Days Inn because it goes fast for it houses most if not all the Otakon staff ^_^. When I say the passkey system I checked it out, but I lucked out that I got a room at the Hilton that same day. Thought the place would be sold out cause of the price and location. I had originaly had gotten the nights at the new Hilton for Friday through Sunday, but a few months later I was able to modify the reservation to include Thursday night. Only if you have had reserved the weekend could you modify the reservation because its still your room. ( I know this is gonna confuse some people, sorry bout that) True, you won't get anything good via the passkey right now but it never hurts to ask people if you can crash with them or search yourself for higher priced rooms through the various travel sites like Orbitz or Hotels.com.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.