Otakon 2009 Budget

oh geez..

costs... >__<

Most of my money is going towards Anime Expo (the weekend before Otakon) OTL

i have my plane ticket for that and everything's a go.

most of my spending money for Otakon will be made there.. as well as my train ticket money OTL

I have just enough now for pre-reg & the table ^^;;

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually might have a decent amount of money for Otakon. :lol: I'm getting cash as a graduation gift, whooo~!

Right now, I requested to have a week's vacation I'm got built up cashed in, and that should cover the basic costs of the con(registration, hotel, and bus fare, if needed).

Plus I've prolly got some stuff I can afford to get rid of; which reminds me, I need to put this TV on craigslist...

I'm always sorta blown away by posts in the past I saw of people dropping insane amounts of money at Otakon...something that I've honestly never really done or even really seen a need for. The biggest splurge I've really had was going to the aquarium last year with my friends, and that's not even really "Otakon".

I barely even feel the registration price, because I pay for it when it's first possible to, so when it's separate and not lumped in with everything else it's not as much of a hurt. I end up spending like, maybe 200-250 dollars aside from the registration price. Plus I take it as paid vacation time, so I make back a good part of that.

ugh, right now the money i have set aside for otakon is about $210. i don't plan to splurge too much since i already requested a whole week off, and i only work 2-3 days to begin with.

ahh..the life of a college student. living off of flat sodas and the value menu in order to rake up cash for one weekend during the summer. haha ^_^!

Same as every year really. I put the money down for hotel/food/plane/other essentials and my spending money is whatever change I save over the previous 12 months, bottle returns, and winnings from our hotel room poker tournament (last year these combined to equal $480).

After airfare and pre-registering for the con itself, I usually just scrape together whatever I can manage for other stuff. For the last couple years I've been reserving the room, and I don't have my roommates pay until we're actually there, so I usually just pay for the room with my debit card and use whatever they give me in cash as spending money. Last year I think I had $300 to blow in the dealer's room, which is plenty for me. This year times are tough, so I'll probably limit myself to $200.

Edited by Purple One

I've been saving up for Otakon for a while, but as per usual...I've had to dip into that fund due the little bumps in the "road of life" :P. I think I'll be bringing the standard $300-$400 with me...after hotel costs. Plus, I plan to bring a cooler with snacks along for myself and my roomies. At least I won't have to shell out extra money for lightrail or taxi fare this year since I'm staying within walking distance of the BCC :(. I also tend to limit myself in the DR. I completely agree with those of you who suggested making a list of what you want...it saved me a ton last year and helped control impulse buying. Come to think of it, I still have a $100 stashed away from last Otakon O.o.

I'm originally from Baltimore, Md. But now I live in Oklahoma. Ughh... It used to be so easy to go to Otakon because I never had to worry about transportation or hotel fees. So now I'm married, and my dear hubby is dying to go. What's a girl to do? So I started looking into the airfare. Yikes!!! I found that by coming up on a Wednesday made a huge difference!!! For a round trip our tickets were about $210.00 a person. Not to shabby in my opinion. Now for the hotel. Well of course because this was a last minute decision all the hotels with Otakon rates were completely booked!!! So I shopped around some more, and made reservations at the Bestwestern. I'll admit it's not close to the con, but it only cost us $89.00 a night with a full breakfast every morning. And did I mention that they also offer a free shuttle to the convention center, and other parts of downtown!!! The shuttle runs from 7am to 11:30 pm. So if we miss the last shuttle we will probably catch a cab or something. Especially on Saturday night. So those are the ways that we have cut cost last minute. I mean like I booked everything 2 days ago. But depending how things go we may start doing this every year, and actually set aside money for the cons that we want to attend. Especially since we go to a lot of the local cons here in the mid west like Tokyo in Tulsa, A-kon, and Animefest in Dallas, TX.

Budgeting for Otakon is hard this year. I work as a server at a restaurant and our tips haven't been as generous as in past years. I'm also saving up for a car and a trip to Japan next summer, so I have to keep those in mind.

I'm spending money on two cosplays this year, and because of that I probably won't buy too much in the dealer's room.

I am officially able to go to Otakon now! My work gave me time off yay! So we now have to budget in buying a house before Setpember and saving up to spend spend spend at Otakon!! The good part is I am great at saving, unfortunately my hubby is terrible at it :);; but now that we are married I will try to control the monies better! XD

Im hopefully going to have maybe 1.5k with how I'm managing my money at the moment ^^; I still have to make one more costume. Hopefully I can before july 10 :)

I plan on bringing around $200 or so, mostly for the Dealer's Room(although these past few years i've been buying more at the Artist's Alley). I'm mostly conservative with how I spend my money, but if I see anything Sailor Moon related at all, i'm getting it no matter what the cost :) . I still regret passing up four Sailor Moon manga last year.

xD I'm such a huuuge spender but hey its my only con I go to for each year mostly. I went to anime boston and it sucked so much ><

I've never actually spent much money at previous Otakons...usually $100 max in the Dealer's room, mostly due to a lack of money overall. I'm in much better shape this year, but to keep things in check I'll certainly be bringing a list with me and sticking to a $100~$200 budget. I always bring all of my snack food/drinks with me from home, so that cuts down my costs for eating at the con considerably.

Now for the hotel. Well of course because this was a last minute decision all the hotels with Otakon rates were completely booked!!! So I shopped around some more, and made reservations at the Bestwestern. I'll admit it's not close to the con, but it only cost us $89.00 a night with a full breakfast every morning. And did I mention that they also offer a free shuttle to the convention center, and other parts of downtown!!! The shuttle runs from 7am to 11:30 pm. So if we miss the last shuttle we will probably catch a cab or something. Especially on Saturday night. So those are the ways that we have cut cost last minute. I mean like I booked everything 2 days ago.
Now for the hotel. Well of course because this was a last minute decision all the hotels with Otakon rates were completely booked!!! So I shopped around some more, and made reservations at the Bestwestern. I'll admit it's not close to the con, but it only cost us $89.00 a night with a full breakfast every morning. And did I mention that they also offer a free shuttle to the convention center, and other parts of downtown!!! The shuttle runs from 7am to 11:30 pm. So if we miss the last shuttle we will probably catch a cab or something. Especially on Saturday night. So those are the ways that we have cut cost last minute. I mean like I booked everything 2 days ago.

wow, I might have to look into this hotel. how far is it from the con? kinda wish I was staying there - cheap and free breakfast!!!!

Budget so far:

Hotel+registration: 250.00

Food+Drinks: 100.00

Gas: 50.00+

Spending Money: 300.00-400.00. Doubt I'll even spend the three hundred in the DR, but AA last year had me spending more then I thought.

Right now, there's only three of us in my room. If we get a fourth, hotel will drop nicely.

Also, Congrats RLP! Hope to see you in Baltimore!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.