old anime shows

Anyone know or have info about alot of the old anime series stuff from the mid to late 90's that alot of companies had released back on VHS. Cause I don't know about anyone else but I'd like to see about replacing all my VHS copies of shows for DVD versions since my last funtioning VCR recently fraked out on me (frak-see Battlestar Galactica <_<). Also what about all the shows that did hit DVD but either the companies either lost the licences for them or he companies are no longer around. The only way i've been able to do those was through Amazon.com and found some great deals but others just not available,

Im pretty sure at this point they have the entire beast king golion series out on dvd (also know as Voltron over here) so you might want to check that out....and they've probably been releasing the old school Macross series on dvd as well.

You might be able to pick up a VCR (or at least a VCR/DVD combo) at Best Buy inexpensively, to watch your VHS shows. Macross unfortunately probably won't ever be available on DVD (the old ones, I mean), except as Robotech. If you can find your shows on Amazon for a good price, that'd be a good place to get caught up. Also, it can't hurt to scrounge all the DVD tables in convention dealers rooms - you never know when you'll stumble on that hidden gem. :rolleyes:

I came across Devil Hunter Yohko DVD set for $26 on amazon.com - http://www.amazon.com/Devil-Hunter-Yohko-C...3520&sr=8-5

this is the complete collection which has eps 1-6 on it for $26. this is worth getting instead of purchasing "DHY collection 1 and 2", which are on sale for $26 each [and that doesnt make much sense]. also, ep. 4 isnt an episode... it's just a collection of several music videos.

You might be able to pick up a VCR (or at least a VCR/DVD combo) at Best Buy inexpensively, to watch your VHS shows. Macross unfortunately probably won't ever be available on DVD (the old ones, I mean), except as Robotech. If you can find your shows on Amazon for a good price, that'd be a good place to get caught up. Also, it can't hurt to scrounge all the DVD tables in convention dealers rooms - you never know when you'll stumble on that hidden gem. :rolleyes:
Edited by RTeker

Be careful about Amazon.com -- a lot of their links are "marketplace" or used, and many of them are bootlegs.

Remember, the common sense rule is your friend: if the deal is way too good to be true, it is probably not.

Edited by alabaster

FYI ... If I remember correctly, I read that the last company producing standalone VCR's finally stopped making them recently (like this past fall).

... Yup assuming engadget is correct here

Side note: Beast King Golion is still coming out, but Voltron (the lions portion anyway) is all released now (Vehicle Voltron part one is out and part 2 is coming 1/27)

Edited by sven72383
...from Animego (yea old company thats gone now) ...

Holy crap! When did that happen??

Whatever happened to the Otakon swap meets; nothing official, but I do remember seeing people on the first day outside trading VHS/DVD/manga. If you can find your old shows on DVD, you can always convert them to DVD.

really? huh my mistake then, I mean I hadn't seen anything recent from them personaly and I had thought that like Pioneer, they too slipped away 'quitely into the night'. sorry about that then folks :unsure:

really? huh my mistake then, I mean I hadn't seen anything recent from them personaly and I had thought that like Pioneer, they too slipped away 'quitely into the night'. sorry about that then folks -_-

Didn't they rename their anime division to Geneon? (Which was then acquired by some other movie company... which was acquired by a media company... which I searched for just now... is being acquired by NBC Universal?!)

Edited by pakopako

well yea but the 'TRUE' Pioneer company that gave us all the old great shows like the Tenchi series (expect GXP and the recent Tenchi OVA's), Vandread, and El Hazard no longer exists and thats that i meant. Geneon has, in my opinion, a LONG way to go to prove themselves.

sorry 'bout that.

ok BACK on topic, recently Megazone 23: Complete Collection came out and I'm wondering if its worth getting?

Whats the details/plot on this show if anyone has seen it.

see for me my top 3 styles I watch are

1. Mecha/Sci-Fi

2. Martial Arts/Action (Ranma, Bleach, Naruto, etc...)

3. Eechi/Hentai (although not too much there -_-:blush: )

I'm a fan of Megazone 23. To be fair though it's being RE-released as a complete collection. Details later (I haven't watched it in a few months). Other 'older' (I wouldn't really call much anime old) titles that I'd recommend: Venus Wars, Five Star Stories, Vampire Hunter D, Casshan, Maetel Legend (and anything Matsumoto for that matter), Iria, ... So many to choose from. Besides D all of those fall squarely in sci-fi. I know for a fact that all of these titles have been available on dvd in the last 5 years (they're sitting on my shelf) the question is whether you can still get them or not. I'd say Vampire Hunter D should be relatively easy to find. Five Star Stories should be RE-released and available 3/3. As for the others YMMV.

Are you looking for a particular series/movie on DVD that you need help tracking down, or are you looking for suggestions? Most of the stuff I remember coming out of the mid-late 90's was available on dvd at the same time or shortly afterward.

sorry 'bout that.

ok BACK on topic, recently Megazone 23: Complete Collection came out and I'm wondering if its worth getting?

Whats the details/plot on this show if anyone has seen it.

see for me my top 3 styles I watch are

1. Mecha/Sci-Fi

2. Martial Arts/Action (Ranma, Bleach, Naruto, etc...)

3. Eechi/Hentai (although not too much there :D:blush: )