Getting around B-more just got easier

IT should make things easier for people who want to see things beside the convention or for those who want to eat a little further away from the convention center (such as Little italy).

Edited by tstidm1
That would be a nice chance to get to some of the nicer sushi places south of the BCC... ;)

...or the Charles Street arts district and restaurant corridor. Some good eats up there, as well as in Fells Point.

That would be a nice chance to get to some of the nicer sushi places south of the BCC... ;)

...or the Charles Street arts district and restaurant corridor. Some good eats up there, as well as in Fells Point.

Mmm, Fells Point. I've got an annual event up there, and this'll make getting there loads easier on my frilly ladies!

That would be a nice chance to get to some of the nicer sushi places south of the BCC... :)

Edited by MissV
That would be a nice chance to get to some of the nicer sushi places south of the BCC... :)

Mmm, Fells Point. I've got an annual event up there, and this'll make getting there loads easier on my frilly ladies!

You wouldn't happen to mean the tea room that was down (in fells point) there, would you? When I was there last weekend it was gone. :P

Yeah, they've moved their head of operations, IIRC. The one in Fells Point is--or at least was last year--only open for special events/reservations. Though I haven't yet started negotiating this year's contract, we generally take a cab (or five, since petticoats take up a lot of room!), so it wouldn't be a problem to get to the new place, either--it's in Harbor East, I believe. The owner and staff are wonderful and friendly, and hopefully we'll be going back for our third year in a row!

• 5 weeks later...

Oh, nice. How far do they actually go, like do they go out of the city limits at all or no? From the look of the website it seems like just downtown, but im not very familiar with the city.

Sweet! this will be my first year there so I would love to see as much as I possibly can!! sounds like its an awesome way to get everywhere!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I hate to be a cynic...............

But I'm well tied in to the transit community. And well-placed RUMORS (and that's what they are) indicate that this operation (remember, it's NOT MTA) may not manage to get started on time as planned. Stay tuned. I wouldn't make major plans based on this operation, but if it starts up on time, consider it a lovely bonus.

I also hate to be a cynic.. but if Batlimore wants to get the con attendees awareness of their city, and I do love Baltimore... they have to close later than 6pm or 8-9pm.. because once you're at Otakon.. and this is my experience.. you stay there the entire time.. so then how it is it that you get to experience things after hours or the rest of Baltimore? Con going is pretty exhausting.. and I am pretty skeptical, since I am a big user of public transit as well..

Let's be honest with ourselves.

Otakon's members/attendees are either so devoted or crazed about what goes on at Otakon that I've openly joked that it would take a massive fire or explosion in the Convention Center to get the members to go elsewhere in Baltimore. And even then, I suspect some folks would refuse to leave their video games or places in line. :blink:

The target markets for ANY "what else to do in Baltimore" marketing are:

1) the parents/siblings/chaperones of younger members that may not themselves share the anime/manga obsession;

2) business folks such as dealers, industry folks, family of Japanese guests, etc. who have legitimate cause/reason to go out to a restaurant, bar, music club, or "The Block" to cut loose, relax, see a different city's cuisine/culture, spend the moolah they made in the dealers' room, etc.

Personally speaking, if I were in a position to be invited or sent to a city I've never visited before, I am NOT going to go without spending at least SOME time--on my own dime if necessary--indulging one of my other interests: railroading, railroad preservation/history, brewpubs, lighthouses, historic bridges, etc.

In the past, we had attendees whose sole purpose for attending Otakon was to see TM Revolution or L'Arc en Ciel. Otakon offers so much more, but if all the person wants is the concert, that's not our problem, and why not let them pub crawl in Fells Point or Canton or eat crabs at Obrycki's? B)

I hope that this free shuttle service will launch before Otakon so all the Otakon attendees can use it, hopefully BACVA is helping with this shuttle service and sees the great benefits of having it running during Otakon 2009.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.