Otaku Idol 2009 ?

Is there is going to be a otaku idol this year ? I'm going to enter this year, but I'm not sure how it works. What are the rules ? :P

• 2 weeks later...

What song would he sing ? I know I asked a questiom relating to this before but I'm asking your opinion ?

Hm...I thought I'd get " FLOW " or " TM Revolution ". Has a guy even enter the contest before ?

I'm practicing to enter the contest, but I'm kinda worried that the audience might get shocked to see a tall, black guy singing J-ROCK. D: Plus do you have to sound like a professional to sing in the contest ? D:

When it's ready, it'll be announced. :)

Will we be allowed to make suggestions for the event, or no?

You're always welcome to submit suggestions to the programming department (the best way is to use the Contact Us page on the Otakon website), but if you're suggesting radical changes then it may be too late to make them happen for the 09 con because of how far along we are in planning the con.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm practicing to enter the contest, but I'm kinda worried that the audience might get shocked to see a tall, black guy singing J-ROCK. D: Plus do you have to sound like a professional to sing in the contest ? D:

The people in charge of Otaku Idol have you submit "audition" recordings and they pick who the contestants will be. At least that's how it worked in the past :D.

There isn't any info released for this year's Otaku Idol yet, so there's no promise that this is how things will work this year too. As soon as we have the info for you it'll be posted on the Otakon news page and RSS feed.

• 1 month later...

To answer your questions, as to if there will be an Otaku Idol '09, yes, we will hold it this again. Its been a little hectic for the OI staff, since I inherited the event from Jeff Kleist, the previous head of Otaku Idol. However, once I figure out where all the info is for the contest, I will submit it to our webmaster to post, hopefully this year the info will reach the right people and it will get posted; I know that was a problem for people last year, and thats why they got a little confused.

As soon as I have the right info updated and such, I'll get things rolling with accepting demo songs. If the topic is still around from last year, look at the info on submitting demo songs and all that on the BBS for reference, things pretty much wont change from the process last year. However, please DO NOT start sending me demo songs yet. I'm not ready to accept them just yet. However, you can start practicing them and recording them, so when I am taking demos, you just have to shoot it over to me.

I hope to get things rolling by either late April or early May, that way you guys have enough time to practice songs, record your demo songs, and those of you who will be picked for the contest will be given ample time to submit to me your song choices and practice them for July 17-19 for Otakon 2009 and Otaku Idol 2009.

• 2 weeks later...
To answer your questions, as to if there will be an Otaku Idol '09, yes, we will hold it this again. Its been a little hectic for the OI staff, since I inherited the event from Jeff Kleist, the previous head of Otaku Idol. However, once I figure out where all the info is for the contest, I will submit it to our webmaster to post, hopefully this year the info will reach the right people and it will get posted; I know that was a problem for people last year, and thats why they got a little confused.

As soon as I have the right info updated and such, I'll get things rolling with accepting demo songs. If the topic is still around from last year, look at the info on submitting demo songs and all that on the BBS for reference, things pretty much wont change from the process last year. However, please DO NOT start sending me demo songs yet. I'm not ready to accept them just yet. However, you can start practicing them and recording them, so when I am taking demos, you just have to shoot it over to me.

I hope to get things rolling by either late April or early May, that way you guys have enough time to practice songs, record your demo songs, and those of you who will be picked for the contest will be given ample time to submit to me your song choices and practice them for July 17-19 for Otakon 2009 and Otaku Idol 2009.

I dont really have any major tips for recording atm. Theres a whole thing I'll have to dig up for recording and such, it'd be easier to put it on the otakon website under Otaku Idol when it would go live for people to see. My major tips right now are just practice songs you like, preferably songs in your vocal range. It isnt really a good idea to try to sing a higher vocal song when you sing very low. If you understand music theory and vocal range, you should know what Im talking about.

I dont really have any major tips for recording atm. Theres a whole thing I'll have to dig up for recording and such, it'd be easier to put it on the otakon website under Otaku Idol when it would go live for people to see. My major tips right now are just practice songs you like, preferably songs in your vocal range. It isnt really a good idea to try to sing a higher vocal song when you sing very low. If you understand music theory and vocal range, you should know what Im talking about.

Best way I've found to fix that problem is to try singing in front of a big mirror, so you can see yourself in it, that way, even though you know its you, you can see what youre doing when you sing, as well as get the idea of being watched while singing. Sounds a little creepy but hey, its better than going to a bar or something and going full out singing in front of strangers.

That, or try singing in front of your friends, or family, if they understand what you're trying to do, they'll probably give you their honest opinions, as well as give you practice in terms of singing in front of an audience.

The more you can practice singing in front of people, the better you are gonna be. But in terms of singing with emotion or having stage presence(Yes, stage presence is something I will be looking for when judging the contestants at Otakon 09) my best influence on working on that is watch Queen: Live at Wembley Stadium. You may not be a Queen fan, but watch Freddy Mercury, and watch how he controls the crowd with his stage antics, as well as how much emotion and heart he puts into the songs he sings. The man owns the stage and is a master of what emphasis to put on certain lyrics. You can apply those techniques to your singing and performance, and you should be golden.

These tips can also be taken for anyone else out there who is interested in Otaku Idol 09, not just Makaimi. Use it to your advantage, I really wanna see some awesome contestants this year.

Edited by ShadowVash04
Best way I've found to fix that problem is to try singing in front of a big mirror, so you can see yourself in it, that way, even though you know its you, you can see what youre doing when you sing, as well as get the idea of being watched while singing. Sounds a little creepy but hey, its better than going to a bar or something and going full out singing in front of strangers.

That, or try singing in front of your friends, or family, if they understand what you're trying to do, they'll probably give you their honest opinions, as well as give you practice in terms of singing in front of an audience.

The more you can practice singing in front of people, the better you are gonna be. But in terms of singing with emotion or having stage presence(Yes, stage presence is something I will be looking for when judging the contestants at Otakon 09) my best influence on working on that is watch Queen: Live at Wembley Stadium. You may not be a Queen fan, but watch Freddy Mercury, and watch how he controls the crowd with his stage antics, as well as how much emotion and heart he puts into the songs he sings. The man owns the stage and is a master of what emphasis to put on certain lyrics. You can apply those techniques to your singing and performance, and you should be golden.

These tips can also be taken for anyone else out there who is interested in Otaku Idol 09, not just Makaimi. Use it to your advantage, I really wanna see some awesome contestants this year.

On one of the archived Otakon Idol posts, it said that you need 1 Anime song, 1 J-pop/J-rock song, and one song of your choice. Does that mean the 3rd song could be an english one? And what would people think of a song in english at the competition?

On one of the archived Otakon Idol posts, it said that you need 1 Anime song, 1 J-pop/J-rock song, and one song of your choice. Does that mean the 3rd song could be an english one? And what would people think of a song in english at the competition?

The way its been done in the past is first round you have to pick a song from an anime, second round is from a J-Pop/rock artist/group, 3rd round is a song of your choosing from either of those categories, meaning you can do a song from a J-pop/rock group, or a song from an anime. What I'd like to try doing this year is throw in something a bit different, at least for the 3rd round. If its plausible, since I dont know how well people would know stuff from this category, I'd like to include "songs from a video game" as an option for the 3rd round as well as either a song from an anime or J-pop/rock artist/group.

By video game songs, I mean songs that are from a video game and they have lyrics in Japanese. Examples of this would be "Passion" from Kingdom Hearts. Im still on the fence with certain things with this possible addition, because there are games that are from Japan that have songs in english, and it sorta defeats the purpose of singing in a Japanese song contest.

For example, "Otherworld" from Final Fantasy X, which is all in english, but the game is originally japanese. I'll have to do more thinking over that part in the rules, but I do at least plan to make that an option for the 10 contestants who are chosen, they can choose a song that is japanese from a video game as a possible 3rd song. Another part of this addition I'm on the fence about as well is songs based on video games. My example of this is something like "Okkusenman(Omoide wa Okkusenman)" by GOM, which is a song sung to the Dr. Wily Stage 1 music from Rockman 2. I may make that part a case by case basis. Again, this is all up the air atm, but if there are video game music enthusiasts that are interested in this contest, and you want to possibly do a song, in japanese, from a video game, I would more than likely be cool with it, given you are chosen for the contest.

As always has been the case, if the song has some english in the song, like part of the refrain, it is allowable.

There is a lot of room for overlap in those categories, which makes it slightly easier to choose songs from, however, I dont know how well the video game thing would overlap into all of it, since it may be harder for contestants to find karaoke/instrumental tracks for video game songs.

Edited by ShadowVash04

The way its been done in the past is first round you have to pick a song from an anime, second round is from a J-Pop/rock artist/group, 3rd round is a song of your choosing from either of those categories, meaning you can do a song from a J-pop/rock group, or a song from an anime. What I'd like to try doing this year is throw in something a bit different, at least for the 3rd round. If its plausible, since I dont know how well people would know stuff from this category, I'd like to include "songs from a video game" as an option for the 3rd round as well as either a song from an anime or J-pop/rock artist/group.

By video game songs, I mean songs that are from a video game and they have lyrics in Japanese. Examples of this would be "Passion" from Kingdom Hearts. Im still on the fence with certain things with this possible addition, because there are games that are from Japan that have songs in english, and it sorta defeats the purpose of singing in a Japanese song contest.

For example, "Otherworld" from Final Fantasy X, which is all in english, but the game is originally japanese. I'll have to do more thinking over that part in the rules, but I do at least plan to make that an option for the 10 contestants who are chosen, they can choose a song that is japanese from a video game as a possible 3rd song. Another part of this addition I'm on the fence about as well is songs based on video games. My example of this is something like "Okkusenman(Omoide wa Okkusenman)" by GOM, which is a song sung to the Dr. Wily Stage 1 music from Rockman 2. I may make that part a case by case basis. Again, this is all up the air atm, but if there are video game music enthusiasts that are interested in this contest, and you want to possibly do a song, in japanese, from a video game, I would more than likely be cool with it, given you are chosen for the contest.

As always has been the case, if the song has some english in the song, like part of the refrain, it is allowable.

There is a lot of room for overlap in those categories, which makes it slightly easier to choose songs from, however, I dont know how well the video game thing would overlap into all of it, since it may be harder for contestants to find karaoke/instrumental tracks for video game songs.

So what if your anime song is in english even in the japanese version?

If the whole song is in English, no dice. That defeats the purpose of having a Japanese music singing contest, doesnt it. Again, read my prior post. If it has some english in it, like part of the refrain, thats fine, but the song cant be all or almost all in english.

So, it can be like this:

1st round - Flow - Colors

2nd round - Hitomi Shimatani - Destiny

3rd round - Utada Hikaru - Simple and Clean

Can you name any J-Pop artists ? Because I don't know any songs from video games. :(

Yeah, that could work, seeing as how Colors is from Code Geass, Destiny is a Jpop song, and Simple and Clean is from Kingdom Hearts, albeit it would have to be the Japanese Version of Simple and Clean, Hikari.

Dunno how you'd get the instrumental track for that song, Im not familiar with them. Your best bet is to search japanese music sites that have singles of the bands youre looking for. Typically, singles will have the instrumental version of songs, especially if the song is in an anime or video game.

Try Yesasia.com or cdjapan.co.jp for singles, theyre usually pretty good with those.

Edited by ShadowVash04

I want to do Otaku idol but I'm not to familiar with J-Rock. Can anyone recommend any J-Rock songs for an alto?

Ack...um, I wouldn't know what do do since I've never played games other than DDR and SSB. (I could sing a song from DDR...but they're all techno and weird for a singing contest...) Hm...if you do go with the video game songs, I could try to sing "Why" by Ayaka, which I think is for one of the Final Fantasy ones. :< (The only other one I know is that one from Kingdom Hearts everyone knows lol)

I was going to do:

"Sobakasu" from Rurouni Kenshin

"Clap & Love" by Ayaka

"Wish" by Olivia Lufkin, from NANA

:D The karaoke I have from Wish was made in Audacity and you can sort of hear the vocals very lightly in the background, unless I just make it quieter.

The songs can be J-pop or J-rock, right? As long as the song is sung in Japanese. I just wanna be clear.

Also, is there a definite date when audition tapes will be accepted?

The songs can be J-pop or J-rock, yes. As long as the song is sung in Japanese, yes. Personally, I'd like to see more J-rock this year, J-rock has been severely under-represented in past Otaku Idol contests. That doesnt mean Im giving preference to those who sing J-rock songs, I just wanna see more variety.

As for the dates for accepting audition songs, soon. Im working on getting all the info posted to the Otakon website as soon as its ready, just need to tweak some stuff. Hopefully it will make it up there by the beginning of May.

Edited by ShadowVash04
The songs can be J-pop or J-rock, yes. As long as the song is sung in Japanese, yes. Personally, I'd like to see more J-rock this year, J-rock has been severely under-represented in past Otaku Idol contests. That doesnt mean Im giving preference to those who sing J-rock songs, I just wanna see more variety.

I'm looking forward to OI again this year =). I've done it twice and it was fun. I obviously won't be trying for it this year, but to all of you who do try out when it comes time for that, good luck to you and practice, practice, practice!

As for karaoke tracks with Jpop/Jrock, I agree there are a bunch of good songs but no karaoke track for them. Like someone suggested you can try using Audacity to mute the vocals.

Hey all, I've submitted the information that needs to be posted to the Otakon website regarding how you can enter for Otaku Idol 2009. I don't know when it will be posted, hopefully soon. However, I will make a thread on the BBS shortly that mirrors the information that will be on the Otakon website. If you have any questions regarding the contest entry when it gets posted, please feel free to reply in this thread.

Hey everybody. Just letting you know the information on Otaku Idol should be up on the Otakon main website very shortly, just getting some minor touch ups and it'll be ready to go. Hopefully by the end of this weekend it will be in place, so get your demo songs ready to be submitted. There are deadlines that are in place, so please make sure you follow the instructions carefully.

Good luck to everyone interested in entering, I look forward to listening to your demo songs soon!

Hey everybody. Just letting you know the information on Otaku Idol should be up on the Otakon main website very shortly, just getting some minor touch ups and it'll be ready to go. Hopefully by the end of this weekend it will be in place, so get your demo songs ready to be submitted. There are deadlines that are in place, so please make sure you follow the instructions carefully.

Good luck to everyone interested in entering, I look forward to listening to your demo songs soon!

You probably want to go with a song that is in your vocal range, seeing as how your goal of the demo song is to show us what you've got and get you into the contest. I dont know what your range is, or what music you wanna sing, that's entirely up to you. If you wanna start somewhere in terms of looking for instrumentals for songs you might wanna try, try www.cdjapan.co.jp or http://www.yesasia.com/us/en/home.html. They have a good amount of singles which usually have the instrumental track included for artists.

Hey everyone, the Rules and instructions on recording your demo song for Otaku Idol 09 are up on the Otakon website as of tonight. There is one slight mix up in the rules part. I will try to get it changed so the wording is not so confusing.

This is what it says on the website(what needs to be changed is bolded and underlined):

SUBMISSION PROCEDURE

Email mikeflury[at]hotmail][dot]com for submission instructions. DO NOT EMAIL YOUR SUBMISSION TO THIS ADDRESS. Make sure to include your submission form with this email, and if available, a URL to download your submission.

The best way to submit is to use a free service like RapidShare (http://www.rapidshare.de) or your own personal webspace so that no one has to worry about clogging email boxes. Simply email the URL to mikeflury[at]hotmail][dot]com.

You may also send your demo songs to Otaku Idol via AIM, however, contact me first via email or PM on the Otakon BBS, and then I’ll get back to you on who to send your song to. PM me at Shadowvash04 on the BBS.

What gets changed(highlighted in bold and underscored):

SUBMISSION PROCEDURE

Email mikeflury[at]hotmail][dot]com for submission instructions. DO NOT SEND THE ACTUAL DEMO SONG FILE TO THIS EMAIL. Make sure to include your submission form with this email and a URL to download your submission. You must email me the name of the song, who the artist/band singing the song is and your name.

The best way to submit is to use a free service like RapidShare (http://www.rapidshare.de) or your own personal webspace so that no one has to worry about clogging email boxes. Simply email the URL to mikeflury[at]hotmail][dot]com.

You may also send your demo songs to Otaku Idol via AIM, however, contact me first via email or PM on the Otakon BBS, and then I’ll get back to you on who to send your song to. PM me at Shadowvash04 on the BBS.

Edited by Asrial Dune
Email fixed. Spam bots are evil.
Hey everyone, the Rules and instructions on recording your demo song for Otaku Idol 09 are up on the Otakon website as of tonight. There is one slight mix up in the rules part. I will try to get it changed so the wording is not so confusing.

This is what it says on the website(what needs to be changed is bolded and underlined):

SUBMISSION PROCEDURE

Email mikeflury[at]hotmail][dot]com for submission instructions. DO NOT EMAIL YOUR SUBMISSION TO THIS ADDRESS. Make sure to include your submission form with this email, and if available, a URL to download your submission.

You may also send your demo songs to Otaku Idol via AIM, however, contact me first via email or PM on the Otakon BBS, and then I

SUBMISSION PROCEDURE

You may also send your demo songs to Otaku Idol via AIM, however, contact me first via email or PM on the Otakon BBS, and then I

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.